Where to put my next set of surround speakers?

D

dcrandon

Enthusiast
lol. Ok. I will. The technical term for upfiring speakers is “Dolby Atmos enabled”. So…..
I’ll check it out.
These are the ubiquitous Klipse lineup, of which there are so many combinations my head spins. These speakers mount up by the ceiling on the wall and are angled down. I was just trying to figure out if the
"Dolby Atmos Enabled" for these particular ones just means they angle down.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
"Dolby Atmos Enabled" for these particular ones just means they angle down.
Then the author is using the therm wrong.
But now I have to know. I’ll watch later. When I ain’t workin… lol

Side note. Iirc, Klipsch did have some that could be used as DAE or wall/ceiling mount. There was a switch to use or bypass the crossover section that uses the notch filter for use as dae.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You have not mentioned which AVR you own. You should look through the manual and see what speaker setups are supported. If you can't install in-ceiling ATMOS, then I would opt for height speakers. If the surround speakers are 3 or 4 ft over your head, are you able to move them closer to ear height? If not, then front height speakers might be the best option as the current surrounds are on the high side and might interfere with any height speakers mounted ceiling level.

I had my surrounds in the ceiling originally, facing down (I also have the couch against the back wall). It was ok, but you can't do ATMOS with them there. I moved them down to ear level on either end of the couch and the base layer is now much improved and I was able to add a couple of ATMOS speakers. I believe that Auro3D setups allow for angled height speakers to be placed on the side walls but front or rear height is more typical.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
The only place I'd ever suggest is 2 atmos speakers. There's no way on earth it's appropriate to have more than 5 speakers when sitting too close to walls.

Two options
1. Do nothing and stick with 5.1.
2. Add two atmos speakers on the ceiling.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think they (Dolby in the FAQs) mean bed as foundation, not so much as the elevation of the speakers. As in; you can mix a traditional "bed layer" of up to 7.1.2 and "build your objects" on top of that.

Yes, most audio formats for use on BD seem to cap out at 8 ch. The 7.1.2 Dolby mentions may be an option only pertinent to cinema renders.
Still, 7.1 can be a bed layer, 7.1.2 cannot

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis