where to get McIntosh Meter blue tint? - replacement tint needed

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Anybody know where I can get some replacement blue tint for the old McIntosh meters that used tint under the glass? I see tint sheets on eBay listed as for McIntosh amps, but I bet it is overpriced like a lot of misc parts that people list on eBay.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
better late than never

hi,i was absent for a while so i didnt see this question.

First off,are your meters white or do they have a blue tine,ive bought a few mac amps where the previous owner has taken out all the blue tint in order to make the meters clear to match their other gears look,if this is the case you will need more than the tint.

there are 4 peices outside the meter in a mac amp that makes them have the deep blue look starting with a peice of blue plexiglass(impossible to buy at a glass shop) i cant remember what name mcintosh has for that peice but im pretty sure they call it a diffuser, then after the blue plexiglass diffuser there are 3 peices of the blue material that mcintosh calls (blue gels).

the 3 blue gels are different shades of blue that give the meter its look & the meters will not have the depth to them without all 3 different shades of gels,buying new parts direct from mcintosh is your best & cheapest bet.

ok,if you dont want to spend $30 or so dollars on the oem parts you can go to any office supply store & look in school supplies for a binder or folder that has a thick blue celophane type cover & cut it to fit on the inside of your face plate,ive done this before i found out how cheap the oem parts are,this type material gave the meters a nice blue look but it was not as deep or intense as the oem parts especially when the amps were turned off.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis