Where to find quality speaker wiring in Canada/what type (not AWG size) should I use?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
TLS brings up a good point, just what is the gear in the system altogether?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those are Active speakers and should be connected with RCA cables and NOT speaker wire. They do have speaker terminals, but they will be very much second best and it won't matter what wire you use, as it will be a high impedance connection.

You do not need an amp to drive those. They can be driven from any device with RCA outs, and that is the best way to drive them,.
Are they active speakers or merely powered speakers?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Are they active speakers or merely powered speakers?
They are advertised variously as powered and active. But they must be powered as only one speaker has an AC cord. I see that the speaker connection on the powered speaker is an output for the passive speaker.

So the speaker with the amps, need a stereo RCA connection, and then a speaker cable between the two speakers.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Those are Active speakers and should be connected with RCA cables and NOT speaker wire. They do have speaker terminals, but they will be very much second best and it won't matter what wire you use, as it will be a high impedance connection.

You do not need an amp to drive those. They can be driven from any device with RCA outs, and that is the best way to drive them,.
@TLS Guy you are a bit off your game tonight. According to the manual, these Edifier R1280T speakers need a speaker cable to connect them and not a RCA cable.

I'd use some speaker wire from almost anywhere (Home Depot, Princess Auto, Canadian Tire, or even Walmart) as we are only talking 5 feet here!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

@TLS Guy you are a bit off your game tonight. According to the manual, these Edifier R1280T speakers need a speaker cable to connect them and not a RCA cable.
No see above. One speaker needs a stereo RCA connection and the two speakers are connected with a speaker cable. In other words, the speaker with the AC cord has the power amps for both speakers.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
No see above. One speaker needs a stereo RCA connection and the two speakers are connected with a speaker cable. In other words, the speaker with the AC cord has the power amps for both speakers.
The interconnect between the speakers is only done by speaker wire. RCA connections are for the input sources only.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The interconnect between the speakers is only done by speaker wire. RCA connections are for the input sources only.
That is correct and exactly what I said. The speakers have to be driven from an RCA output source, in other words from a voltage amp and not a power amp. From their literature they promote driving the speakers directly from a turntable that has a phone preamp. So you could connect any preamp or CD player directly to the speakers.
One thing you could not drive them from would be a receiver with no preouts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I'd use some speaker wire from almost anywhere (Home Depot, Princess Auto, Canadian Tire, or even Walmart) as we are only talking 5 feet here!
In that manual you provide the input is specified as rca stereo input and they talk about one active and one passive speaker....assume the one you plug the source into is the "active" speaker and the other is using the amp from same and becomes the "passive" speaker. Kinda dumb terminology IMO. Don't see that the "active" speaker is but powered myself....but there's not a lot there.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I was reading the article " How to Choose the Right Gauge Type for Best Performance" and I know the basics of what I am doing how ever the recommended cables are based in the US and I am in Canada so the prices end up being ridiculous with the international shipping + exchange rate applied. I am looking for a 10-12 AWG.
The original poster asked a simple question. Nineteen responses later, I haven't seen a simple answer.

In Canada, if you cannot find wires sold in the American Wire Gauge (AWG) sizes, Wikipedia has a table that converts AWG to various dimensions, including metric cross sectional area, mm².
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Tables_of_AWG_wire_sizes
That table is large. Here's a smaller, simpler version:
1691503656896.png

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The wire is going in a wire hider running along the back of the shelf, I have my speakers on so the color don't matter to me at all. Yes I am sure they are just bare wire clamp style connectors have a look at the pic I found online of the back of my speakers (I am to lazy to climb up and take one my self lol ) And I appreciate the suggestions but your both forgetting I am in Canada and your linking Amazon.com not Amazon.ca :)

View attachment 62815
I'm in Canada and just ran a bunch of wire for my AV system. Amazon basic stranded copper will do you fine. I would not go thicker than 14 gauge as 12 gauge may not fit those spring loaded terminals. 16 gauge would be thick enough for those speakers. Anything from Monoprice is good value as well. You can purchase crimp on pins if you want metal pins to fit the speaker terminals but bare wire is ok for your speakers. Strip off about 1cm or 3/8" of insulation.

The linked spool is 50ft minimum. If you only need 10ft or 3m of wire, you can go to the hardware store and get 14 gauge lamp cord by the foot. As long as it's stranded copper it's ok.

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
That is correct and exactly what I said. The speakers have to be driven from an RCA output source, in other words from a voltage amp and not a power amp. From their literature they promote driving the speakers directly from a turntable that has a phone preamp. So you could connect any preamp or CD player directly to the speakers.
One thing you could not drive them from would be a receiver with no preouts.
They are being "driven" (connected) to the sound card output on my computer... I'm sorry if that's the wrong terminology I'm new to all this audiophile stuff, heh I wouldn't even use that term to describe myself LOL

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
They are being "driven" (connected) to the sound card output on my computer... I'm sorry if that's the wrong terminology I'm new to all this audiophile stuff, heh I wouldn't even use that term to describe myself LOL
Just connect the left & right Line Outs from your sound card to the corresponding PC RCA Line inputs and you'll be golden (after you get a short length of speaker wire to go between the Edifier R1280T .

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
Just connect the left & right Line Outs from your sound card to the corresponding PC RCA Line inputs and you'll be golden (after you get a short length of speaker wire to go between the Edifier R1280T .
Thanks, but that part I did manage to figure out Hehe.

It has a cable that goes L&R down to 3.5mm stereo jack which is what is plugged into the the computer.

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
I'm in Canada and just ran a bunch of wire for my AV system. Amazon basic stranded copper will do you fine. I would not go thicker than 14 gauge as 12 gauge may not fit those spring loaded terminals. 16 gauge would be thick enough for those speakers. Anything from Monoprice is good value as well. You can purchase crimp on pins if you want metal pins to fit the speaker terminals but bare wire is ok for your speakers. Strip off about 1cm or 3/8" of insulation.

The linked spool is 50ft minimum. If you only need 10ft or 3m of wire, you can go to the hardware store and get 14 gauge lamp cord by the foot. As long as it's stranded copper it's ok.

I am thinking of just using this it's 20awg-OFC not "officially" speaker wire but based on my limited understanding and everyone's advice it will get the job done.
They do have an 18 gauge but it's more expensive and I don't think I need something that heavy from what I understand.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I am thinking of just using this it's 20awg-OFC not "officially" speaker wire but based on my limited understanding and everyone's advice it will get the job done.
They do have an 18 gauge but it's more expensive and I don't think I need something that heavy from what I understand.
20 gauge is too thin in my view for speaker cable. (That link did not work.) The higher the number the thinner the wire. The 14 gauge I purchased is fairly thick and probably overkill in your situation. Most manufacturers use 16 gauge wire inside their speaker cabinets, so that's a good reference. 18 gauge should work ok in your setup but I would still recommend at least 16 gauge. ;) Like I mentioned, for 3m of wire you can just got the hardware store or a Home Depot and purchase stranded copper by the foot. Then you're not stuck with a left over spool of wire.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis