Where to find quality speaker wiring in Canada/what type (not AWG size) should I use?

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
I was reading the article " How to Choose the Right Gauge Type for Best Performance" and I know the basics of what I am doing how ever the recommended cables are based in the US and I am in Canada so the prices end up being ridiculous with the international shipping + exchange rate applied. I am looking for a 10-12 AWG.

I was thinking of trying a solid wire since it's going to be in a wire hide anyway and due to issues with my hands I always break (or lose) a strand or two with stranded style wires.

As for what I am connecting I am only running two powered book shelf speakers 5ft apart. Each unit has a 4in sub at 6oms and a 0.5in tweeter at 4oms with clamp (no terminal) style connectors. The are model R1280T from Edifier

So what do you all recommend that I use?

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
10-12 AWG for your purposes is way overkill. Try this wire table http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

Lamp cord at your local hardware store would be sufficient. A broken strand or two won't matter. Your speakers have mid-woofers, not subs.
I am no audiophile and won't pretend to be I wanted to get something like BlueJeans but they are way to expensive for me (as mentioned above) and a little over kill never hurt anyone. So would "dirty cheap" wire really suffice with out lost of quality and all that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am no audiophile and won't pretend to be I wanted to get something like BlueJeans but they are way to expensive for me (as mentioned above) and a little over kill never hurt anyone. So would "dirty cheap" wire really suffice with out lost of quality and all that?
What is dirty or cheap about standard copper wire? What loss of quality? Might want to look further into articles at that site I linked http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

You're enough of an audiophile to post here (i.e. you want high-fidelity audio). Overkill can hurt your wallet without gaining anything.

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
Overkill can hurt your wallet without gaining anything.
I know the whole over kill thing was supposed to be funny *shrugs*
Anyway If I understand what your saying I should use 18-20 AWG for my run (such as it is) I was just worried about loss of quality ect if I use cheap "normal" coper wire but I guess that only comes into play in longer runs?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Solid wire works as long as it is the correct AWG, however it is MUCH harder to work with, even if you know what you are doing. I've used it, it added nothing and was harder to terminate and use in general. For in-wall, I would recommend an in-wall UL/CL rated wire.

Bluejeans isn't overkill and cost vs. what you get it is actually a good deal. That said, for in-wall runs, probably can find something similar for less than their 12/2 that does the same thing. Their 12/2 is very thin and easy to work with though.

18-20 AWG for long runs won't work for most cases (it will technically work, but isn't forward looking if you change speakers later). 14 is probably the minimum I'd run.

If this isn't in-wall, then just get some good 12/2 and be done with it. It will work for any speakers you will ever own. I just ran two 30' runs of Monoprice 14/2 for my rear Atmos speakers and it works great.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know the whole over kill thing was supposed to be funny *shrugs*
Anyway If I understand what your saying I should use 18-20 AWG for my run (such as it is) I was just worried about loss of quality ect if I use cheap "normal" coper wire but I guess that only comes into play in longer runs?
Overkill with wire seemed to be the at the root of your question, so.... :)

IIRC lamp cord is typically 18 AWG so would be fine, altho I think you can also get 16 AWG as well. Maybe not as pretty as some others, if you want to pay for aesthetic that's up to you....and I'd stick to actual copper wire rather than CCA (copper clad aluminum), but even OFC over ETP copper is overkill.

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
Solid wire works as long as it is the correct AWG, however it is MUCH harder to work with, even if you know what you are doing. I've used it, it added nothing and was harder to terminate and use in general. For in-wall, I would recommend an in-wall UL/CL rated wire.

Bluejeans isn't overkill and cost vs. what you get it is actually a good deal. That said, for in-wall runs, probably can find something similar for less than their 12/2 that does the same thing. Their 12/2 is very thin and easy to work with though.
I have not doubt that blue-jeans is a good deal but its all in US prices being in Canada you can almost double them and then add the international shipping on top of that so 10ft of BJC Twelve White (5000UE) ends up costing me $50.08 I am not familiar with wiring, but that seems costly. Specially when I can get a whole role from someplace like amazon Canada for that.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. If you are ok with it though, you might find it harder to find short runs. I only found 100 and 250 ft spools when I only needed 60ft. 50ft cost almost as much as 100ft.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I always buy speaker wire in bulk myself, terminating with your own banana plugs or other connectors is simple enough and you can customize length easily that way. Before that I used lamp cord when my needs were less. Do watch out for the CCA speaker wire on Amazon, tho. My personal method is Monoprice 12g in large reels, but I have some pretty long runs in several systems so easier for me to just do it that way.

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
I always buy speaker wire in bulk myself, terminating with your own banana plugs or other connectors is simple enough and you can customize length easily that way. Before that I used lamp cord when my needs were less. Do watch out for the CCA speaker wire on Amazon, tho. My personal method is Monoprice 12g in large reels, but I have some pretty long runs in several systems so easier for me to just do it that way.
I was just going to go with the following and call it a day so to speak if I understood what you all said it should be more then enough for what I am doing.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003L14WXG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08TVGBVT4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2IHZFOHOQ0WG8&psc=1

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was just going to go with the following and call it a day so to speak if I understood what you all said it should be more then enough for what I am doing.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003L14WXG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08TVGBVT4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2IHZFOHOQ0WG8&psc=1
Is your "wire hide" in-wall? Then that wire might be a good choice, and if not hope you like white (I don't).

You sure that's the style banana for your gear? I use these myself if needed (bare wire ends are just fine, too, bananas are more about frequent/easier plugging/unplugging) https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Silverback-Banana-Speaker-Connector/dp/B0072KOHQ4/ref=asc_df_B0072KOHQ4?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80195746823004&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795273975442&th=1

Some like locking bananas, too.

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
Is your "wire hide" in-wall? Then that wire might be a good choice, and if not hope you like white (I don't).

You sure that's the style banana for your gear? I use these myself if needed (bare wire ends are just fine, too, bananas are more about frequent/easier plugging/unplugging) https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Silverback-Banana-Speaker-Connector/dp/B0072KOHQ4/ref=asc_df_B0072KOHQ4?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80195746823004&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795273975442&th=1

Some like locking bananas, too.
The wire is going in a wire hider running along the back of the shelf, I have my speakers on so the color don't matter to me at all. Yes I am sure they are just bare wire clamp style connectors have a look at the pic I found online of the back of my speakers (I am to lazy to climb up and take one my self lol ) And I appreciate the suggestions but your both forgetting I am in Canada and your linking Amazon.com not Amazon.ca :)

1643040054_IMG_1683383.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The wire is going in a wire hider running along the back of the shelf, I have my speakers on so the color don't matter to me at all. Yes I am sure they are just bare wire clamp style connectors have a look at the pic I found online of the back of my speakers (I am to lazy to climb up and take one my self lol ) And I appreciate the suggestions but your both forgetting I am in Canada and your linking Amazon.com not Amazon.ca :)

View attachment 62815
Not sure what you mean by wire hider....a cable raceway? Altho if not visible except up to the speaker and that's also out of sight works for me....I do tuck my speaker wires out of sight for the most part myself by various means. Yep, those are spring-type connectors (not usually found on better speakers). If you don't plan on changing the wires out frequently don't see the pin bananas being much use myself.

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
Not sure what you mean by wire hider....a cable raceway? Altho if not visible except up to the speaker and that's also out of sight works for me....I do tuck my speaker wires out of sight for the most part myself by various means. Yep, those are spring-type connectors (not usually found on better speakers). If you don't plan on changing the wires out frequently don't see the pin bananas being much use myself.
We are possibly talking about the same thing just for the sake of it these are what I plan to get
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09B283GCL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A16KT8OBP2LT0&th=1

I wanted to get the connectors because I am not sure how much wire to strip for the spring-type connectors or how much actually goes "in" the clamp/speaker lol.

This is all brand new to me my past speakers were just crappy little 10w max plug and play things. But I do have to say you have been really helpful in getting me sorted :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We are possibly talking about the same thing just for the sake of it these are what I plan to get
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09B283GCL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A16KT8OBP2LT0&th=1

I wanted to get the connectors because I am not sure how much wire to strip for the spring-type connectors or how much actually goes "in" the clamp/speaker lol.

This is all brand new to me my past speakers were just crappy little 10w max plug and play things. But I do have to say you have been really helpful in getting me sorted :)
Yeah, think the better term is cable raceway from what I've seen, there's a variety of types. Usually just stripping 1/4" is enough....do you have a decent wire stripper tool? I use one of these for the most part these days, but a simpler one works well, too.

Cy3berOdyssey

Cy3berOdyssey

Enthusiast
Yeah, think the better term is cable raceway from what I've seen, there's a variety of types. Usually just stripping 1/4" is enough....do you have a decent wire stripper tool? I use one of these for the most part these days, but a simpler one works well, too.
ok I have called them wire-hides for years, and yes I have an expensive wire stripper these to be exact I got them because I can adjust how much of the wire I am stripping off.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

View attachment 62815
Those are Active speakers and should be connected with RCA cables and NOT speaker wire. They do have speaker terminals, but they will be very much second best and it won't matter what wire you use, as it will be a high impedance connection.

You do not need an amp to drive those. They can be driven from any device with RCA outs, and that is the best way to drive them,.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis