Where to find larger than average screen material?

S

Smoker_98

Audioholic Intern
I am in the process of building a rather large screen upwards of 130" to 140". Viewing distance at the sofa is about 19-20 feet and from the bar will be about 25-29 feet. I obviously don't want to pay for a real screen this size as it is way out of my price range. Does anyone know where to get blackout cloth or what manufacturers will provide material this large? Thanks.

S

Smoker_98

Audioholic Intern
No one? If this is in the wrong forum admins please feel free to move it. I would like to get this project rolling soon. :)

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I baught my material from Dazian. Great material and its sold off the roll in any length so the limiting factor is the width. Their Matte Non-Perforated comes in 54" & 86" width, so the max diag without a seam is approx 175". They also have a Matte Perforated material if you want your speakers behind the screen, as well as grey and bone material. They say they can make the material 80 feet wide without a seam. And they will cut any length an send it to you.

cheers:)

S

Smoker_98

Audioholic Intern
MACCA350 said:
I baught my material from Dazian. Great material and its sold off the roll in any length so the limiting factor is the width. Their Matte Non-Perforated comes in 54" & 86" width, so the max diag without a seam is approx 175". They also have a Matte Perforated material if you want your speakers behind the screen, as well as grey and bone material. They say they can make the material 80 feet wide without a seam. And they will cut any length an send it to you.

That EXACTLEY what I was looking for. I owe ya one!

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Smoker_98 said:
That EXACTLEY what I was looking for. I owe ya one!
Dazian supply many cinemas and special events like the logies. The material is very high quality PVC with very fine ribbing(you have to be closer than a foot from the screen to see it) and gives zero hot spotting(color shifting, etc.) and virtually 180 degree viewing. They also make material for rear projection.

S

Smoker_98

Audioholic Intern
MACCA350 said:
Dazian supply many cinemas and special events like the logies. The material is very high quality PVC with very fine ribbing(you have to be closer than a foot from the screen to see it) and gives zero hot spotting(color shifting, etc.) and virtually 180 degree viewing. They also make material for rear projection.

I'm definately going with them for my material, what kind did you go with? Also did you use black velvet for the borders? If so where did you get that from? Thanks!

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Smoker_98 said:
I'm definately going with them for my material, what kind did you go with? Also did you use black velvet for the borders? If so where did you get that from? Thanks!
I'm using their Matte Non-Perforated material. I used black velveteen from the local fabric store to cover my diy frame. I found this the other day, may make it easier to cover a frame.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
Late to this discussion but...
Many have selected the WilsonArt laminate material in Designer White (code: 354-60).
Yes it is the countertop/cabinet material.
It is available in 5' x 10' sheets (maybe bigger too) from Home Depot for ~$100 ( after tax and special order charge). Many choose this because they don't want to bother with paints and the possible inconsistency. Also many have felt the result is better than blackout cloth, Parkland Plastic or Do-Able board. It is easy to handle, can be framed easily and if you choose to go the painting route, it serves as the perfect substrate (although I can't imagine bothering at that point).
HTH

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis