Where to find Dvd-A and dts cd

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
Does anybody have good sources for finding dvd-a and dts cd's, maybe even sacd's? My searches online have resulted in a limited assortment of dvd-a's and only a couple of dts cd's.

I do have an older dvd player that I know does sacd's, not sure if the ps3 does or not.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
dts CDs have long been discontinued; possibly 5 years or more. They were more or less dropped in favor of DVD-A, and now that DVD-A is all but non existent as well, sources for either are going to be slim. Same story with SACD. In the last year, production of any mainstream titles has dropped off significantly.

All dts capable DVD players can play dts CDs, as well as most standard CD players with digital out. No Sony player can play DVD-As.

For the PS3, IIRC, there are only a few models that can play SACD - the original launch 60G for sure, and possibly the subsequent 80G not sure about the 40G, but none of the Slim models can for sure.

Amazon, eBay, etc... are going to be the places to find them and expect to pay top dollar for popular titles that have been discontinued. For those titles that are highly sought after, prices are very steep.

You can order most of the Porcupine Tree DVD-As at burning shed. These are excellent discs that I would not hesitate to own and they are at normal prices. http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/ *edit - I just looked and a few of the discs are not available or out of stock, but the recent releases are all there.

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
dts CDs have long been discontinued; possibly 5 years or more. They were more or less dropped in favor of DVD-A, and now that DVD-A is all but non existent as well, sources for either are going to be slim. Same story with SACD. In the last year, production of any mainstream titles has dropped off significantly.

All dts capable DVD players can play dts CDs, as well as most standard CD players with digital out. No Sony player can play DVD-As.

For the PS3, IIRC, there are only a few models that can play SACD - the original launch 60G for sure, and possibly the subsequent 80G not sure about the 40G, but none of the Slim models can for sure.

Amazon, eBay, etc... are going to be the places to find them and expect to pay top dollar for popular titles that have been discontinued. For those titles that are highly sought after, prices are very steep.

You can order most of the Porcupine Tree DVD-As at burning shed. These are excellent discs that I would not hesitate to own and they are at normal prices. http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/ *edit - I just looked and a few of the discs are not available or out of stock, but the recent releases are all there.
i wish someone would settle on some sort of advance music playback media instead of dismissing all of them, CD's have been the norm for what now? 30 years? sure vinyl exists and has made somewhat of a comeback and you can find alot of stuff on vinyl (especially what i listen to) but the benefit of vinyl is pretty much wasted if the recording engineer simply copies a 44.1KHZ/16 bit recording to it.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Does anybody have good sources for finding dvd-a and dts cd's, maybe even sacd's? My searches online have resulted in a limited assortment of dvd-a's and only a couple of dts cd's.
Try http://store.acousticsounds.com/AcousticSounds. They have lots of disc formats, including SACD and DVD A and dts cds. The also have a whole bunch of those never-got-very-far variants on CDs like HDCDs, gold CDs, etc.

I do have an older dvd player that I know does sacd's, not sure if the ps3 does or not.
At least some new Sony blue ray players play SACD. My BDP-S570 handles them quite well.

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
So basically your telling me that all the multi-channel music medias are dead because of the teenagers listening to mp3's on their ipods? That just figures.....

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
no it's because recording studios dont have thousands of dollars to put down on new equipment, and people don't feel like spending more money on new equipment for new formats.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

It seems that portability trumps sound quality about 9 times out of ten. The audiophile thing got so absurdly out of reality with $100,000 systems that only play vinyl that they lost their voice in the market. In spite of my audiophile pretensions have to admit that about 60% of my listening happens with earbuds and an iPhone while I'm on the train to work.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Saw a quote a while back by an Audio Engineer saying (I'm paraphrasing here), 'Why should I spend all that time and money in the studio getting everything sounding as good as I can when the final product will be listened to as an mp3 compressed song on an iPod?'

Related note - I see the newer Sansa mp3 players have a micro SD slot allowing micro sd add-on cards which can hold up to 1,000 songs each, on the size of a fingernail. I think you can get pre-recorded micro cards, or blanks and load your own.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Saw a quote a while back by an Audio Engineer saying (I'm paraphrasing here), 'Why should I spend all that time and money in the studio getting everything sounding as good as I can when the final product will be listened to as an mp3 compressed song on an iPod?'
It's cynical, but probably half true. I still have some of my audiophile pretensions intact and my iPhone has good enough sound quality that I still find a lot of recent recordings to be overdriven and distorted, even ON the train. The quality IS there, but a lot of people just don't listen.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned

SACD DVD-A
Sheffield Labs not multi ch but great recordings

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Try AIX records. The owner is a real fanatic on Multichannel DVD-A, and offers a big selection of beautifully recorded performances in rock, pop, jazz, classical, bluegrass/folk. Makes me glad I invested in a nice multichannel system. Decent prices, too.:cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis