When will we start seeing universal HiDef players?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

While neither format is off to a very big start, I'm already looking forward to getting a "universal" machine. Of course, as a long-time Denon fan I'm anxious for a Denon machine that will do DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray & HD-DVD. Upconversion to 720P/1080 would also be nice, while retaining all the things their current universals do (bass management, etc). To top it all off, how about full digital hi rez audio output?:D

I've been enjoying my Optoma H31 immensely, but it won't be long till I spring for an HD PJ, something that will do 720P. I just hope there'll be something to watch on it once I do!

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I'm guessing we won't see universal players for a year or two. However, last I heard, HD-DVD is outselling Blu-Ray by a substantial margin.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

When I buy a player, I don't want to think about or even know which format is "winning"! That's why I'm anxious for a universal. I have more DVD-As than SACD, even though SACD has sold more titles.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
When I buy a player, I don't want to think about or even know which format is "winning"! That's why I'm anxious for a universal. I have more DVD-As than SACD, even though SACD has sold more titles.
Sony has not introduced its 50 Gb disc yet, because of manufacturing problems and life expectancy. Until this disc capacity comes out, the HD quality does not match HD DVD. And would a universal player have the new sound codecs via HDMI 1.1 and 5.1 multichannel analogs or would it be dependent on HDMI 1.3, like the BD's? These questions need answers before designing a universal player.

While I had an HD-A1 (returned it because I don't want to buy movies... and Music and concerts not yet available in HD DVD), I played Steely Dan's DVD-A "Everything Must Go" selecting the DTS surround format over the 5.1 multichannel analogs. That was much much better than using the digital connection and it would be interesting to compare the excellence of that sound to High Resolution. And the Upconversion feature is said to be exceptional (in my case, the 1080i matched the upconversion of 480i to 540p resolution of my Toshiba CRT RPTV using a standard player).

I'm suggesting that your DVD-A's would sound very good in DTS format using the analogs from the HD-DVD player. You can always keep your present player for SACD playback.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
I honestly doubt that we will ever see such a player. The BluRay and HD-DVD camp will not sign off on a player accepting the others format. Techincally building the player isn't that difficult. Getting the licensing to do it on the other hand is a nightmare.

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on a universal player. Besides, lets see if either format makes it to its 2nd or 3rd birthday.

T

The Hun

Enthusiast
That article from VB is hillarious, regarding why the picture quality lacks.:)
Frankly with Sony's track record, I wouldn't buy anything that they invented.
With the resources they have they should be the "Microsoft" of the CE industry, but somehow they mess things up,and then they come back with another idea, that somehow will be different from the rest,[of the industry's] and on and on, and on.:p

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
dvda-sacd said:
Pioneer plans combination drive assembly for Blu-ray and HD DVD:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/77562

Regards.
Frankly, I hope the introduction of a dual player does not come about. My interest is very much with the new codecs, because of love of music and concerts, and the HD DVD players deliver this quality sound.

And because BD can only pass on the new sounds via the forthcoming HDMI 1.3 and you must have a new a/v with HDMI 1.3, in my view, it is important to have music and concert producers use the HD DVD format and save us a ton of money.

The HD-A1 and HD-XA1 players can give us the new sounds via either HDMI 1.0 and up or 5.1 multichannel analogs. See page 59 of the HD-A1 User manual:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=hd-a1

Click "Resources" and the "Owner's Manual".

And with update 2.0 for the HD DVD software, DD TrueHD will be available not only in 2 channel but in 5.1 multichannel as well for analogs and up to 8 discrete channels with HDMI. Both types of audio connections offer DD TrueHD, DTS-HD, DD Plus and LPCM in 48, 96 or 192kHz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis