jordan21

Junior Audioholic
be able to decode hd audio through bistream

right now i have to have it set to pcm to send to my pioneer 9210 receiver

does anyone have any info on this?

H

hifisyd01

Audioholic Intern
I may be incorrect, but as I understand it, there is a hardware limitation in the PS3 that prevents it from doing this.
I don't think it's possible for any future firmware updates to solve this. :mad:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
be able to decode hd audio through bistream

right now i have to have it set to pcm to send to my pioneer 9210 receiver

does anyone have any info on this?
The current PS3 hardware units are not capable of this feature and never will be (even with software updates). I haven't heard any speculation of a revision to the hardware to make it possible either.

J

jordan21

Junior Audioholic
so in all reality to get hd audo from the ps3, you have to go hdmi through linear pcm i assume

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
so in all reality to get hd audo from the ps3, you have to go hdmi through linear pcm i assume
That is correct. The best we can hope for now is to get DTS-HD MA internal decoding in the very near future. But bitstream isn't an option with the PS3, which I find to be very unfortunate.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
It is sad, but I wouldn't be too hard on the team that developed the PS3. I mean, how are you suppose to build hardware for a format that isn't done yet? The BR format was rushed out the door. That's the saddest part. The PS3 actually does a good job considering. Compare it too any other first gen BR player.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
The HDMI chip on the PS3 while being a 1.3 spec chip does not allow for bitstream of hd audio codecs. The chip on the PS3 is a very early design which was made exclusively for the PS3 at first and I assume they opted to not have bitstream to reduce costs. But once PS3 gets DTS-HD/MA upgrade via software who cares if it can bitstream or not. Sony has shown that the PS3 is a very powerful machine capable of doing certain things with just pure CPU power. If you look at the DVD upscaling when it first came out it was very crappy. But one firmware update and it now offers upscaling that is just as good if not better than the higher end scaler chips out there.

dnice555

dnice555

Audioholic
Makes me very sad - I love the way My toshiba HD-A35 makes the hd-dts-master audio appear on my reciever. I'd have a touch time buying the panasonic player for $417 on amazon just for this feature.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis