Whats worse, the open layout or the little room?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Cheers, MDS.

Yeah, if I DID come off strongly in my advice, it was mostly due to my own personal experiences. They've been pretty bad unfortunately. Honestly, I could see some square rooms actually being better than my rectangular room. Amazingly bad resonances.

I have very heavy imaging on the left. The soundstage is no longer believable as it used to be. Well, before it was AMAZING.... (imo of course :D).

I have very finicky speakers with hybrid electrostats as well. Im hoping that a "downgrade" to much more affordable conventional dynamic speakers will offer much better overall satisfaction. But even there my hopes are not high. Hence, my considerable purchases of treatments could have been a waste. And, hence, my warning. As for square rooms, I was just saying that was what some say, denoted by the asterisk.

Sorry, I don't remember my conversations with you about music, but Im glad you learned something, hehe.

Looking forward to future conversations, and other little learnings I get from you.

Ceasing & desisting from further hijack, GL Abe.

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
After hearing all this, I think it will just take some listening in both areas to figure out what I like better.

There is a large non-audio advantage of the smaller room in that I can go in there, shut the door and crank the music and be separate from everything going on in the rest of the house.

Because we want music in the living room and a TV in the bedroom we will, no matter what, have an entry level 2-channel setup in each room (like my Mordaunt short 914s). I just need to make a decision as to how much more money I want to spend in a room that is limited acoustically. (either expanding to 5.1, or getting a more up market 2-channel rig)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think it depends on how criticial of listening you want to do in that room. The bad thing is, usually when cranking it, the reflections are going to be more apparent IMO. I've always had a setup in my bedroom so that I could listen in there if someone wanted to watch something else, and my bedrooms have been relatively small too. Previous one was 11x12 and had major issues, so I setup the system in a corner to minimize first reflection at my listening position and this really helped, but critical listening was limited to a small sweet spot still. Bass was problematic in this room because the null and peak spots were quite apparent - though a sub wasn't necessary even with just one pair of Mordaunt Short 902s. Casual listening was no problem.

The new room is about 11x14 which is OK dimensioninally, but I am limited to one spot and that is along the long wall, though I can get better distance between the speakers while keeping them well away from the side walls to push out the first reflection point also. My A/V-1s have better bass than the 902s did so I still don't have a sub in here, and I really don't have room for one anyway.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think it depends on how criticial of listening you want to do in that room. The bad thing is, usually when cranking it, the reflections are going to be more apparent IMO. I've always had a setup in my bedroom so that I could listen in there if someone wanted to watch something else, and my bedrooms have been relatively small too. Previous one was 11x12 and had major issues, so I setup the system in a corner to minimize first reflection at my listening position and this really helped, but critical listening was limited to a small sweet spot still. Bass was problematic in this room because the null and peak spots were quite apparent - though a sub wasn't necessary even with just one pair of Mordaunt Short 902s. Casual listening was no problem.

The new room is about 11x14 which is OK dimensioninally, but I am limited to one spot and that is along the long wall, though I can get better distance between the speakers while keeping them well away from the side walls to push out the first reflection point also. My A/V-1s have better bass than the 902s did so I still don't have a sub in here, and I really don't have room for one anyway.
John, my room is only about 7.5' wide and that is where my lcd and my front-stage is placed. The room is actually about 15' long BUT due to a closet reduces most of the room to about 13' long. My ceiling is flat and is 7' tall. Is this really not the best place to put my ht?? I will have (2) LFM-1Pluses in there soon placed directly behind my love-seat. I made sure my seating position was not half way in the room as I was told that is a bad idea. So far it sounds rather impressive. Have any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Every room sounds different, so if it is working right for you, then run with it :) Sounds like a LOT of sub for a room that size, but there's nothing wrong with that :eek:

My main HT is 23x13, which is close to a 2:1 ratio, however I also have a sloped ceiling that goes to about 20ft, so I don't get the "normal" kind of issues one would in a room like this.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Every room sounds different, so if it is working right for you, then run with it :) Sounds like a LOT of sub for a room that size, but there's nothing wrong with that :eek:

My main HT is 23x13, which is close to a 2:1 ratio, however I also have a sloped ceiling that goes to about 20ft, so I don't get the "normal" kind of issues one would in a room like this.
Hope it is not too much sub. :eek::eek: Will know very soon. Guess, I could always turn it down to keep it from being too much. Thanks once again for the help.

Cheers,

Phil

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
my room is only about 7.5' wide and that is where my lcd and my front-stage is placed.
Are your mains right up against the side walls?

There is a small 7.5x10 'sitting' room in our condo. It opens up to the master bedroom. I didn't want an even smaller room, but perhaps that would be better for a 2chan rig.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Are your mains right up against the side walls?

There is a small 7.5x10 'sitting' room in our condo. It opens up to the master bedroom. I didn't want an even smaller room, but perhaps that would be better for a 2chan rig.
Yeah my mains are very close to the side walls. So far it sounds very impressive. My room opens up to my living-room but I can also just close the door. However, I only have 5.1 in there and soon it will become a 5.2 set-up. Hope to keep my ht in there but things may change who knows.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis