Whats with the craze about super expensive earbuds?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Because they are far better then the Junk you get with your Ipod, or any other music player... I didn't go that far but I did get a set of the Shure E4's which are awesome...

I got a great deal on them.... but the selection of different parts to fit the ear are nothing to shake a stick at. And the sound is fantastic.. You don't have to spend that much money on a great set, but there are better alternatives then stock, which make my ears bleed - both with fit and sound.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Because they are far better then the Junk you get with your Ipod, or any other music player... I didn't go that far but I did get a set of the Shure E4's which are awesome...

I got a great deal on them.... but the selection of different parts to fit the ear are nothing to shake a stick at. And the sound is fantastic.. You don't have to spend that much money on a great set, but there are better alternatives then stock, which make my ears bleed - both with fit and sound.
I guess...having hard time to shake the image of earbuds having quality now with them being so physically fragile. :confused:

How much did you pay for yours if I may ask?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Of coarse you may ask... I got them a year ago at $150.00..

That was really a deal back then.. but now its just OK...
I think you can get them on fleabay for somewhere around there...

HAHAH I was just on the shure website, and read this too funny...
SE530 Sound Isolating Earphones

Sound Isolating, modular earphones with a dedicated tweeter and dual woofers for an expansive soundstage and full-bodied bass.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Those aren't really "earbuds", in my opinion.

Earbuds just kinda hang in your ear, pointed in.

I would call these "canalphones", although that term isn't often used. They create a seal and stick into your ear canal, creating a small, sealed chamber. The sound quality is - potentially - amazing. Good bass response, typically a major issue with "earbuds", is possible. Plus, you block out WAY more sound than is possible with any other design, including noise-reduction phones.

I wouldn't pay >$400 dollars for any set of headphones myself, but to me this is no more ridiculous than similarly priced full-sized phones.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I just bought a set of wireless headphones from sennheiser and they are full cover over the ear, but super comfortable, and sound absolutely fantastic... they were for my father... he loves them... in the same price range..

but seriously, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on in ear headphones either.

I felt I got my money worth... great sound, and comfort..

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Some headphones have great sound. Check out Head-Fi.Org to see a buncha guys who are all about headphones.

Hopefully this won't sound completely stupid, but I kinda like that cheap-headphone sound. I like that scratchy sound while listening to reggae off an iPod on the beach. Haha. It's like listening to an old boombox, which is kinda what portable systems have become ... new-age boomboxes. ;)

S

sunship

Audiophyte
The Shure E5s sound incredible. Tons of musicians use them as in ear monitors when they play live. I had a chance to A/B them with my pair of Ultrasone 650s, which are regular close can phones, and the E5s held up really damn well. Mind boggling how they get the lowed to thump like that in such a small piece.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Shure makes great products. I've installed dozens of their wireless mic systems in some of the places I've worked in - broadcast stations, auditoriums, etc.

However, this is commercial grade gear, and also carries a hefty price tag.

Spending >$400 on a pair of earbuds is just plain lunacy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis