What's the Deal with Setting Speakers to Large vs Small??? Why SMALL???

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Does anybody change the Bass settings for movies and another for music? I tend to keep it the same for both. After the mic aud I do my test with Jazz bass CD's to round off the sound I like for both Movie and Music.
Without doing a proper meadurements , everything becomes a hit or a miss. Every one speaker placement are different so the reco may not work with evvery case. If adjusting the xover on the sub makes sound better then be it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Does anybody change the Bass settings for movies and another for music? I tend to keep it the same for both. After the mic aud I do my test with Jazz bass CD's to round off the sound I like for both Movie and Music.
I use my favorites to final tweak everything to where I like and then use that one setting as well.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
For all the reasons mentioned, it is time to get XT32 to do the bass management. I am convinced that it is doing a better job than XT for my subs in my room. Without Audyssey (even just XT), I used to spend many frustrating hours trying to dial in my subwoofer but not any more. If I were to give up on Audyssey some day, I will definitely get a higher end sub such as one of those JL audio, as I have no intention nor the confidence to do it right with just a bunch of knobs.
XT32 and subEQ are two different things. A receiver can have XT32 but no subEQ but a receiver can't have subEQ without XT32. SubEQ is a star, the rest of Audyssey is meh IME IMHO.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
XT32 and subEQ are two different things. A receiver can have XT32 but no subEQ but a receiver can't have subEQ without XT32. SubEQ is a star, the rest of Audyssey is meh IME IMHO.
I undertand what you are saying, but I was only comparing Audyssey's XT and XT32's sub eq, the latter has higher resolution, and that might have helped fixed some issues that XT did not fix for me completely. As for the rest of it I respect your opinion, and I have mine. Assign from bass, XT or XT32 do not seem to change much for me, but they certainly did not make things worse. In fact with XT, it makes no difference for me, but with XT32, I seem to prefer to have it on so far.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
My sentiments exactly, I'm not bashing XT32, but for me It really didn't do it. Now if they can get SubEQ HT in a stand alone device. I'm in. I'm getting ready to take the plunge and get this lazy butt of mine in gear and learn REW and purchase peripherals amd take in room measurements, I'm sorry I don't put much stock in an Audyssey mic, maybe the software (still not convinced). Alex I need to take your advice and learn this stuff and spend some money for what I believe is a good return on the investment. I got some $ in my setup and as you know I'm about to to lighten the wallet again ;)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My sentiments exactly, I'm not bashing XT32, but for me It really didn't do it. Now if they can get SubEQ HT in a stand alone device. I'm in. I'm getting ready to take the plunge and get this lazy butt of mine in gear and learn REW and purchase peripherals amd take in room measurements, I'm sorry I don't put much stock in an Audyssey mic, maybe the software (still not convinced). Alex I need to take your advice and learn this stuff and spend some money for what I believe is a good return on the investment. I got some $ in my setup and as you know I'm about to to lighten the wallet again ;)
Anytime you want me to help spend your money I'm in :p :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I undertand what you are saying, but I was only comparing Audyssey's XT and XT32's sub eq, the latter has higher resolution, and that might have helped fixed some issues that XT did not fix for me completely. As for the rest of it I respect your opinion, and I have mine. Assign from bass, XT or XT32 do not seem to change much for me, but they certainly did not make things worse. In fact with XT, it makes no difference for me, but with XT32, I seem to prefer to have it on so far.
I should clarify that in my previous posts I never mentioned sub EQ but somehow mentioned it in the one above, in response to fuzz's post. I guess because he mentioned it, thinking that I was referrng to it but I wasn't, and then in my response, I included it by mistake. All I have been referring to is just using Audyssey for bass management and room EQ. Even with XT32 now, I did not use it (Sub EQ HT) for multiple subs, so as far as I know it is just XT32 managing the bass as part of room eq for my single sub. I do have other subs but I connect them to speaker level binding posts. Still, thanks to fuzz, I always thought XT32 always come with Sub EQ HT, now I know that may be the case for the Denon models but not all Onkyo XT32 equipped models. All TX-NRX0XX models seem to include it but not the TX-NRXXX models.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Small vs. Large | Audyssey

That links to a lot of response to similar questions. I also just found out Audyssey does not set the crossovers either, it is the AVR manufacturers who do that as well. So Audyssey basically just applies the filters to do their room EQ thing in order to achieve their target curve.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also keep my bass setting the same for both movie and music.

My setting is simple manual channel level matching using a digital SPL meter.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Not sure if I asked you before, does the AVP come with a much heavier mic like my 4308's. I am sure of the answer but still have to hear it from you. We know for sure anything (Marantz models included) after the 4308 come with the light mic. No it matters not, just my curiosity, as usual..

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Peng, I think you are saying that different brands of AVRs incoporate Audyssey differently, how well Audyssey XT32 (software) works depends on the model (brand) of AVR, yes or no.....or am I just crazy asking a question like that. It has been mentioned that different AVRs incorporate filters that are specific to the brand of AVR used, so I'm asking if Audyssey (XT32) for example will be different to each each brand of AVR in which it is implemented? Am I out of my mind here (don't answer that) I know I am :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Peng, I think you are saying that different brands of AVRs incoporate Audyssey differently, how well Audyssey XT32 (software) works depends on the model (brand) of AVR, yes or no.....or am I just crazy asking a question like that. It has been mentioned that different AVRs incorporate filters that are specific to the brand of AVR used, so I'm asking if Audyssey (XT32) for example will be different to each each brand of AVR in which it is implemented? Am I out of my mind here (don't answer that) I know I am :D
That is correct. The implementation differs from brand to brand and is also why the mics are not interchangeable.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

I keep my bass setting the same, but I used YPAO (Yamaha's automatic setup) for setting the levels. It does a great job of setting the levels accurately, as well as the delays. It does not accurately automatically select the proper subwoofer crossover frequency, but that is easy to do manually from knowing the capabilities of the main speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I keep my bass setting the same, but I used YPAO (Yamaha's automatic setup) for setting the levels. It does a great job of setting the levels accurately, as well as the delays. It does not accurately automatically select the proper subwoofer crossover frequency, but that is easy to do manually from knowing the capabilities of the main speakers.
Regarding setting subwoofer crossover frequencies accurately, technically speaking Audyssey don't either because they claim they simply report the characteristics to the receiver and it is the job of the receiver to do "bass management". Audyssey just do room EQ. It seems they are saying setting speakers to small, large, crossover to sub etc., are part of bass management, not room EQ. After reading through their website FAQ and some direct response to my email, I am beginning to understand better about what their software really do and don't do.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure if I asked you before, does the AVP come with a much heavier mic like my 4308's. I am sure of the answer but still have to hear it from you. We know for sure anything (Marantz models included) after the 4308 come with the light mic. No it matters not, just my curiosity, as usual..
I'll have to compare to be sure, but I recall the Mics for the AVP and 5308 are heavier than the lower models.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As fuzz said, the mics are not interchangeable. I email them about that before and that was their answer, not even between different models of the same brand. Basically, Audyssey don't do bass management (small, large, crossovers), they do room EQ and sub EQ (for units that have the feature) using digital (software) filters.

If you are interested, here's a link to a short paragraph on how their filters work.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/215529-MultEQ-vs-other-equalization-methods-

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll have to compare to be sure, but I recall the Mics for the AVP and 5308 are heavier than the lower models.
The mic for the 4308 is heavy enough at the base to stand on something without being toppled just by the natural pulled of that little thin cord attached to it. The new models cannot stand up on its own, it has to be screwed down to a tripod, or you have to do something to prevent it from toppling.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I do. For vinyl and CDs, I run Pure DIrect which turns of YPAO, and runs my front speakers full range. For music on my media player, I load the receiver's system memory settings (all automated with my harmony remote) which turns of YPAO, turns off my sub, and runs my front speakers full range.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I gotta try that Pure Audio and give it a chance 3db. To me it seems to suck the life out of the recording and sound plain, but that's not fair on my part.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis