whats the bug deal with skrillex?

Discussion in 'Musical Goodness' started by woensl.itis, Apr 13, 2013.

1. woensl.itis Audioholic

woensl.itis
    Hey guys,

I hope this doesn't become a flame fest. I was wondering, what is the big deal with skrillex? He hasn't introduced anything new to the electronic music realm in terms of production techniques. Focusing more on his music and the harmony and rhythm therein.... There isn't anything new or groundbreaking either. So... What is the deal? What sounds so cool? Be specific.
  2. its phillip Audioholic Ninja

its phillip
    skrillex sucks and a lot of people have bad taste. simple.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Adam Audioholic Jedi

Adam
    :eek: How dare you hate on Christina Grimmie! :mad:

:D
    Adam,
  4. brianedm Audioholic General

brianedm
    Skrillex is music? :p
  5. Pyrrho Audioholic Ninja

Pyrrho

People do have bad taste, and even they often can't stand their own preferences after a while. This is one reason why "popular" music changes constantly. If you want to know what is really good, it is only really easy to tell after it has stood the test of time (say, 100 years to be sure, but a bit less can sometimes be okay, but certainly no less than 50 years). Thus, Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven may be judged to be really good, as they are generally considered to be good after more than 100 years. Louis Armstrong has held up well for over 80 years (for some of his early great performances found here), so we may include him in the category of easy to determine to be really good. (None of this is to suggest that something new cannot be good; the point is, it is easier to tell that something is really good after it has stood the test of time. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Armstrong were all really good when new.)

As for new things, most of it sucks. This, however, has been true for many years, and possibly forever. Often, people pick something because it is new and different in some way, rather than because it is actually good.

And some people have such appallingly bad taste that they still cling to crap after pretty much everyone else has given up on it and judges it to be crap. Some of this is driven by nostalgia, but it is still bad taste regardless of the motive. The nostalgia motive dies with the people who grew up with it, which, again, suggests that the test of time must be about what I said above to be reliable. That some old fart likes what he or she grew up with proves nothing about its real value.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Nestor Senior Audioholic

Nestor
    One wonders how the copyright laws of today will affect the music in the future.

Will artists inspired by Skrillex 10 or 20 years from now be able to build upon his music?

For the record, dub step isn't much my thing.
  7. Adam Audioholic Jedi

Adam
    Check this out - I knew about this guy, but I hadn't seen his covers of Skrillex until about ten minutes ago. I thought this one sounded really good (well, except for the vocals :)).

Another good one:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
    Adam,
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RUNN1NG EMOT10N Enthusiast

RUNN1NG EMOT10N
    I'm currently listening to an album of various concertos, but I also enjoy the electronic/dubstep scene (Skrillex included). I like instrumental music and it doesn't ruffle my feathers if it's produced by an orchestra or by a computer. I think there is a lot of cool music you can find that works as nice background music in electronic genres. It also can really push the limits of your sound system. As for why Skrillex is good... I mean, he's not my favorite, but he has some songs that are pretty catchy. I can't really tell you about the rhythms and melodies, I just kind of like the way it sounds :p
  9. RUNN1NG EMOT10N Enthusiast

RUNN1NG EMOT10N
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I would just say that there is a lot of music that never gets recognized and never gets the chance to stand the test of time, that is good. There are also some really musically impressive songs that get disregarded by music junkies because they are pop. Each genre has good and bad music.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jeff R. Audioholic Chief

Jeff R.
    There is nothing worse than somebody lecturing people on what is good music. It is truly to each is own kind of situation. I personally have 2 of Skrillex's CDs and I do like them. I find them creative and catchy. They will definitely give the system some exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  11. 3db Audioholic Overlord

3db
    Are these shrillex examples? I don't try and keep up to date with the labelling of genres as I find that the label that fits today doesn't see to fit it in the future. I just listen to the music and if I like it I like it . If these are shrillex examples, I cannot find anything offensive or distasteful about it unlike musac versions of the Rolling Stones were the life is just sucked out of the song. Its just individual tastes I guess.
    3db,
  12. Adam Audioholic Jedi

Adam
    Skrillex is an artist (like the Rolling Stones). Those were just covers of one of his songs, but played in a much different style.
    Adam,
  13. chateaubriand Audiophyte

chateaubriand
    My offspring dig Skrillex. The boy insists I " Dad, check this one out - you have to hear it!" and I do my part. Heh. He listens to my Opera so I listen to his Skrillex. I heard a beat in there one time, it's not all bad.

And speaking of music taste....
  14. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Warlord

BoredSysAdmin
    Shazam thinks so: :)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  15. agarwalro Audioholic Ninja

agarwalro
    That's awesome! Musical blenders :).
  16. viren Enthusiast

viren
    i never imagined an acoustic verion of the intense dubstep! these were cool yo!
  17. YourDhass Audioholic Intern

YourDhass
    to be totally honest, a lot of today's electronic music is so popular because of drugs. im guilty - the sounds that come from them speakers are just so crazy, you don't even know what to do with yourself. it's not so much an issue of good music, it's more like what will blow up your senses the most. of course im generalizing, as every music lover is different. this is just what i have observed with much of the young electro loving generation.

every generation has its positives and negatives. things will never be perfect. lets just chill, enjoy the music we like, and ignore the music we dont.