What's next for me?

X

xyzzy-27615

Audiophyte
Trying to figure out the next step to improve my home theater / stereo setup. My budget for this is around $3000. I use it for movies about half the time, serious listening 20%, and background music 30%. I'm probably not interested in upgrading speakers and adding speakers. My current gear

Integra DTR40.4
Definitive UIW RLS II in-wall R/L/C
Definitive UIT RCS II in-wall surround
REL R-505 sub
SVS PB13-Ultra (not installed yet) sub
4 year old Sony Blu-ray, it was about the mid-level $300 in 2008
Epson projector - don't want to upgrade
Old Apple TV with onboard hard drive as an audio source
Music encoded with the least compressed AAC, mostly CD rips
New Apple TV for Netflix movies/tv (streaming)
80" Black Screen from SI

My room is pretty big which is why I got the 2nd sub. It is not a theater room but basically a foyer/2nd living room. The main theater space is two stories 20x15x20 but it also opens up to a landing upstairs which is another 2000 cu ft. I have shutters on all the windows and mostly watch movies at night and am straight on to the screen.

I'm thinking an amp is the next step but the Integra seems to have a decent output (110W & 8 ohms). Do I get any benefit of an amp in that power range and if not, how far up would I need to go to get a noticeable difference?

Thanks.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You might not want to hear this, but i think in-wall speakers are your (or anyones) weak point, and will remain so no matter how much power you throw at them or ow many subs you add.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I am with mikew. No matter what you update other than the speakers, you will not get better results. Your room and speakers are what you hear and has the most effect on what you hear. So, if the speakers are not negotiable, I doubt anyone can really help the outcome just suggest something that only an illusion.

X

xyzzy-27615

Audiophyte
I don't mind hearing any type of feedback, especially as what you're saying would save me money that would not improve things. The new sub obviously isn't in-wall and the REL is probably quite underpowered for the space. I unfortunately don't have any room for freestanding speakers as my screen goes to 5" from the wall and the seating is relatively close to the existing speakers. Thx for the input so far.

majorloser

majorloser

You are going to get a huge improvement in bass with the PB-13 sub. Bass is the big power user and the in-walls are not. You could add an amp, but I doubt it would be a great improvement unless you at least doubled the power. And at that point you might as well get the Integra pre/pro.

Are you running 5.1 or 7.1?
If you went with a new pre/pro there is always front height surrounds.

X

xyzzy-27615

Audiophyte
I'm 5.1.
I recently had my Integra 7.8 die in a power surge so got the 40.4 and fortunately didn't have to reprogram my RTI remote which probably isn't possible anymore. It does have front high.

On a related note, the REL sub has the ability to connect to the front speaker outputs and pick up some bass from there. I originally had it setup that way and the guy who helped with the replacement receiver said he'd rather leave it off. Any opinions on that front, especially considering the 2nd subwoofer?

Also on placement of the SVS sub, the easy placement would be on the right side midway between screen and seating as I can just run a short cable from the coat closet with all the gear. The existing sub is under the screen. I think I've read that sub placement requires some trial an error but perhaps I should be considering putting the bigger one under the screen and the REL on the side.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Your receiver should take care of the crossover (when the sub picks up the bass in this case) assuming its set up right and the settings on the sub aren't interfering.

I think when running dual suns the best option is to place them on opposite sides if the listening area (opposing walls or opposing corners), but that's usually with similar subs. You don't want one sub over powering the second one though

Check this article out for dual sub setup info
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
I agree that your system will only go as far as your speakers. In-wall/ceiling has limits, and unless your going to add back boxes, your system may be maxed.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Acoustic treatments. Make use of GiK Acoustics' and Auralex' room analysis services. Possibly even hire an acoustician or acoustics engineer from a company like PMI or Rives Audio to take measurements of your room, since it sounds like a complex acoustical environment.

Two things really make a difference: the room's acoustics, and the speakers. Changing either can be transformative. And acoustic treatments can look very attractive these days. Suede panels, patterned panels, or panels with actual artwork or images printed or dyed on them are all available. Naturally, the more elaborate the look, the higher the price. But the point is that acoustic panels need not be big, plain and ugly.

So, get some acoustic advice that's specific to your room. Start with the free services and go from there as necessary. Then treat your room with products that meet your requirements and desires in terms of looks.

X

xyzzy-27615

Audiophyte
Given the much greater power of the PB13-Ultra, should I just use the one sub and find a new home for the REL R-505? Or, would I expect to get enough benefit from keeping it around?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis