Whats everyones opinion on klipsch speakers?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I don't like them, at least not the way they sound. The finish seems nice. Again, JMOHO. YMMV.

BTW, I like their multimedia stuff.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I don't care much at all for the type of high frequency driver (horn) that they use.

Kelly

Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
psyclobe said:
I love my Klipschorns.....specially if driven by proper amplification and supplied with a good source.

Klipsch has made a wide range of speakers at very different price points and designs over the years and, there's a big difference in models. I think you would have to be more specific as to what range you were interested in and what you intended on driving them with.

The only way to buy speaker is to listen to them and, in your own system if possible. People can help with tech advice like what amps drive what speakers well but, its what sounds good to you, not someone else that really matters as you are the one who has to live with what you buy.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

True enough. What one person loves is poison to another. There's no substitute for listening for yourself.

Note: of all the Klipsch's I've heard, the classic K-horns are my least favorite. :confused: Not trying to pick a fight, just reinforcing my opinion that YMMV.

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
Just my opinion,
But Klipsch makes some of the worst sounding speakers I have ever heard. To me, they sound like a mix between a normal speaker and a PA system.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Jason, take heart.

While I'm not taken by Klipsch myself, they have been around long enough and have enough fans that someone must like 'em. If you've heard them and like them, be assured that you are buying a well made product from a well respected manufacturer. Enjoy them.

Now, if you were soliciting opinions in order to do some internet price comparisons before purchasing w/o listening, then take heed to what you have read here.

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
Klipsch is a respected, older, established speaker company.

I believe (not sure now) that the speakers are American made. I had a neighbor who knew people that worked at Klipch. He had coffee mugs from them.

I think Klipsch defines the Horn Tweeter sound. (Like what Altec Lansing uses or used to use).

Have not heard any recent speakers.

My Brother in law thinks that the Kliptch are the best speakers around (his opinion, not mine).

They are known for being very efficient (very loud compared to other speakers given the same amp).

Now my Brother in law has a 10 year old and a 8 year old, and I think has not turned on his kliptch in years! In his single days, he like the real heavy metal Rock and Roll.

The ones that I have heard, I did care for them. In my opinion, they were not very musical, but they were very LOUD!

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Klipsch speakers are definately not middle of the road.....people mostly either love them or hate them. I think they're great for movies, and since my HT is 80% movie watching, I love em :) They've given me good service, with no problems, for twelve plus years so in that respect they're good as well. The only thing in their line at present (mass market wise) that I think is worth owning is the RF7 series.

I've been auditioning replacement speakers for the last few months and haven't found anything (outside of the RF7's) that I like better.....but the search continues. Part of it may be that after listening to horn loaded speakers for so long makes other speakers sound ????? flat/lifeless? (Then again, maybe I've just lost my hearing from listening to Klipsch speakers for so long ;) )

Mort

P

psyclobe

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input guys, I did over the weekend build a system of the following components

Denon avr-3805
Denon 2200 dvd player
Mitsubishi Diamon 55'' HDTV
Klipsch RF-35 (x2)
Klipsch RC-35
Klipsch RS-35 (x2)
RSW-12

This is the highest end system I've ever owned, and I am completly blown away by the quality of the sound. One thing I really like about the klipsch sound is you can play movies extreemly soft yet still hear all the details. I used to always turn movies up, but now I can watch them at normal volume, an with 5.1 surround, its always a good time.

Now begins the long journey of fine tuning the system, although I gotta admit the auto setup of the Denon receiver is mighty nice when you're low on time! Listening to music is now an orgasmic experience.

-Jason

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Looks like a very nice system there. Klipsh are very efficient speakers. Yours are at 98 dB/W/m. With that 3805 you will be able to play music really loud if you so desire.

P

psyclobe

Enthusiast
So 98 d/w/m, what exactly does that mean? 98 decibles watts per minute?

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Decibels per watt per meter. It means you can acheive high volumes with less power than say a speaker rated at 89 dB/W/m uisng the same power source. The 3805 will have little trouble driving those boogers.

U

Unregistered

The db/w/m is technically known as sensitivity, although it is often called 'efficiency'. For 98 db 'sensitivity' it specifically means that 1 watt of input power will yield 98 dB Sound Pressure Level when measured 1 meter from the speaker.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
This is extremely efficient!!!. Once i had a pair of Cerwin-Vega with 96Db efficiency and they sounded VERY loud with a 60 watt amp. It's inevitable to ask: Why some speakers are so efficient and why some speakers aren't? Is there any type of special construction? If there is, is there in the crossover, in the Cabinet construction, in the drivers?

annunaki

annunaki

With 98 db sensitivity, 1w/1m, said speaker could theoretically produce spls around 119db at 1m with 128 watts of continuous power. That is very loud.

Speakers' sensitivity is due to a number of factors and how they work together including but not limited to: Design and efficency of the drivers used; enclosure type, design, quality, goals; crossovers; number of drivers used; ect.

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
That isn't 98db per watt per meter. That is 98 db at one watt measured from one meter away. That is twice as loud as many speakers on the market.

I have a 20 year old pair of Klipch KG-4's. Excellent speaker, although it does have it's faults. Not as bright as many of the Klipch models, excellent bass (it has two 8" woofers and a 12" passive radiator). If it has a weakness, I would say it is in the upper midrange at the crossover point.

I have listened to the newer Klipch lines, and I do think they are a little bright for music. I also think they are great for home theater.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rob Babcock said:
True enough. What one person loves is poison to another. There's no substitute for listening for yourself.

Note: of all the Klipsch's I've heard, the classic K-horns are my least favorite. :confused: Not trying to pick a fight, just reinforcing my opinion that YMMV.

It would be interesting to listen to this speaker and others on the Harman turntable behind the acoutic drapes :cool:

D

dreadstar

Audioholic Intern
Klipsch has always made very efficient speakers. I once saw at the PX in japan a set of Klipschhorns being driven by a walkman. wasn't insanely loud but you could hear em.

Only problem i have had with Klipsch is the mid range response. they have thunderous bass and highs that can make your ears bleed. But voices usually are a bit lacking. But over all not a bad speaker for the $ and everyone has different ears.

The Promedia line is IMHO the best set for self amplified multimedia you can buy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis