What was the first CD you ever bought?

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
The first CD I ever purchased is still on my top 10 of greatest albums ever:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Stryf3

Audioholic Intern
My first CD...hmmm, it was summer of '88 and I bought Judas Priest:Defenders of the Faith and Rush:Grace Under Pressure at the same time.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
What's really interesting is that I can't remember the first CD I bought but I can remember the first 2 LP's. Aretha Franklin Running Out Of Fools and Lou Rawls Soulin'. I bought them in 1967 :cool:

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
"Love" - The Cult, probably late 1987

Big Country's drummer, Mark Brzezicki, played brilliantly on all but the most well known of the tracks, "She Sells Sanctuary", which could just as well be a drum machine as whoever banged on those cans.

The best part: In order to get my CD player hooked up to a pair of speakers, I had to pull the back of my Sears brand all-in-one (as in, turntable, tuner, cassette, and *recordable* 8-track) stereo and wire into the turntable feed post-phono-preamp.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Metallica - ReLoad in 1997.

Dang I'm young.

Paul

B

ben_wood

Audiophyte
My first cd was "Thriller". My first player was a Sony CDP-101 (the first commerically available player in the U.S.) I still have the disc (although I haven't played it in probably 15 years). The Sony has long expired.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Actually...

...the first CD I've bought for myself was this past Labor Day week-end...no kidding!

It is the RVG re-issue of Miles Davis "Birth Of The Cool"...haven't had the chance to listen however...I have heard the original(as transferred to CD) via my local library...found this one by accident and also found "The Complete BOTC" as re-done by Mark Levinson et al using Cello gear...Since Rudy Van Gelder did the original sessions, I figured the RVG release was the way to go since it uses the original tapes. I have read reviews saying it has a better sound quality than the "Complete" version which has additional live cuts...

I have bought 'em previously tho'...the first two, some Linda Ronstadt discs for my wife to replace the old vinyls..."New Favorite" by Allison Krauss and Union Station, also for m'lady...the soundtrack from "O' Brother Where Art Thou?" for both of us( I love "The Big Rock Candy Mountain")...She bought the soundtrack for "Chicago" the movie...now a little MD...that's it so far...although I have been trying to purchase Bill Frisell's "Gone, Just Like A Train" which IMHO is THE BEST sounding recording I have ever heard...bar none...our only "music" DVD is The Eagles "When Hell Freezes Over"...

jimHJJ(...brought up on 78s, 45s, LPs and tapes dontcha' know...dang, I'm old...)

G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
My first cd was "Nancy Sinatra - The Hit Years" by Rhino in 1987. I still have it in mint condition and enjoy it very much.

:cool:

U

Unregistered

Winter of 1985, I purchased The Best Of Kansas and John Cougar Mellencamp Scarecrow. Funny thing was I actually bought these a week before I had a CD player. Back then stores only carried a few titles on CD and in limited quantites, so bought them before someonelse did.

O

outsider

Audioholic
The first CD I can remember buying is the Lost Highway soundtrack back in 96 or 97.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
The first CD I bought was an EMI CD of a Paganini Violin Concerto by Itzhak Perlman and an orchestra I can't remember. That CD is now with a colleague. And in my effort to change all my LPs into their CD transciptions, I was fortunate enough to get a TELARC CD of Lorin Mazel's Tchaikovsky 4th Symphony digitally recorded in 1979 as LP and issued as CD in 1980. Got those in 1987 with my very first Technics 4X oversampling CD player.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
My only real regret from that era is that I didn't try to by all the vinyl people were getting rid of. :cool:

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Well, there's some reason not to regret all that much. Many LPs then had recycled vinyl materials as a result of that oil crisis of the 70s. So much surface noise. And most POP music were using thin or warped vinyls that made excellent resonating drum material when loaded on any turntable. :D But those hefty and clean audiophile-grade LPs are another thing.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Although I have a large vinyl collection surface noise has never been a problem for me. It may be that the LP's with excessive surface noise don't get played. I do have quite a few that people have mistaken for CD's. I also have some selections on both CD and vinyl. Interestingly, most of the time my guests prefer the vinyl when both versions are played. Please note that all of my vinyl has been vacuum cleaned, stored in rice paper sleeves and quick brushed and Zerostated before playing. :cool:

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
I'm a new member here, but I'll jump in, if a little late. I probably have more vinyl than CDs. Back in the old days I put much of the vinyl on reel to reel so some of it is still in good shape.

My first CD was Pink Floyd Meddle. I think Moving Pictures was probably in the first ten somewhere.

After CDs, I never looked back. I still play the vinyl sometimes, but it's all stuff that's not available on CD.

bluesarebest

bluesarebest

Audiophyte
wore out my first CD player

Steely Dan's Aja, (82') was my first CD, they were one of the first bands to
record & publish stuff which was digitally mastered. They were and are still
pioneers in music. Man, I still can't believe how much that first CD player cost!
It was played so much, the optics only lasted about 18 months.

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
Nice thread... lol

My first CD? I can't believe I remebmer this but it was Def Leppard; Hysteria. Still one of my favorites...

R

Red

Audioholic
This is probably very late, but hey I just joined yesterday :eek: and am just looking around the various forums...

Actually the first purchase was 3:

Chicago II
LZ - Physical Graffiti
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
1982 - I was in Japan. I purchased a $350 Yamaha single CD player and a copy of Pink Floyd's The Wall (complete with Japanese and English).

Those were the days...$350 CD players and $40 CDs! :D

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Xmas '86

I got my first CD player, a Pioneer 6 disk changer with those hokey magazines, as a Xmas present. On December 26th I went to Sam Goody
(They still around?) and layed out about $75 on 5 CD's. They were:

1) Santana - Abraxous
2) Earth, Wind and Fire - All n' All
3) Steely Dan - Aja
4) Manhattan Jazz Quartet - Manhattan Jazz Quartet
5) The Great Jazz Trio - Monks Mood

Amazingly the top three on the list still get plenty of play! The last
two were so-so. Just bought them cause I had the money and a new
CD player!

The obvious question is why did you only buy 5 CD's if you got a 6 CD
changer? Cause I was in college and money was too tight to mention!
That's all the money I had!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis