what type of receiver for 5.1 with 2 outdoor speakers?

J

jlew

Audiophyte
I recently set up a 5.1 speaker system in my living room with 2 outdoor speakers on a screened in porch next to the living room. I want to connect everything to one receiver and need advise on the type of receiver I need. I want to play the 5.1 with movies in the living room. I want to listen to music in my living room on the 5.1 speakers and turn the outdoor speakers on at the same time with the same music playing. I will sometime use the outdoor speakers by itself or the indoor speakers by itself. I don't care to watch a 5.1 movie inside and listen to different music outside.

What type of receiver do I need? A 5.1 with 2 additional speaker ports (2 channel)? Is it called a 7.1-2 channel?

If anyone has any information on the type of receiver this is please let me know. Also if you know of a good model that would be great too.
Thank you in advance for your help

F

Firefighter520

Enthusiast
Yeah you need a 7.1-2 channel receiver that is capable of running two zones A-B. In regards to models the Denon 1913 is great and it's on sale right now at crutchfield! Yamaha RX-V575 or above models are great as well and work better for what you are wanting to do.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The simplest way to get what you want is to get any receiver having an "Speaker A and B" switch on the front panel. It can be a 5.1 receiver if that's all you need for your main system. This is a very common feature on almost every receiver.

Speakers "A" would be the main (5.1 or 7.1) speaker set and the "B" speakers would be an optional stereo pair, which would be the ones on your deck.

A 5.1 receiver with this common feature is the simplest and most economical way to get into tis hobby and will suit your needs

Both sets would be playing the same source at the same time but that's what you said you wanted.

Now, if you wanted independent source control for both sets of speakers, then you get involved with that zone stuff but it will add to te complexity and cost.

As for brands, any of the mainsream brands are good: Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, or any of the other major brands you'll see mentoined in other posts on this site. You did read some other posts before posting your question, didn't you?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
A/B switches haven't been a common feature on receivers for years Mark. They've been almost completely replaced by the [often far less useful] zone 2. The only bastion of the A/B switch that remains are stereo receivers and integrateds.

G

Grador

One additional cavet: Until you get into the higher end receivers the zone 2 outputs only work with analog connections. They will not play audio from HDMI, optical, or digital coax.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This is exactly why I leaned towards the A/B solution, but...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
A/B switches haven't been a common feature on receivers for years Mark. They've been almost completely replaced by the [often far less useful] zone 2. The only bastion of the A/B switch that remains are stereo receivers and integrateds.
Really? I learn something every day. I'll have to recheck the market...

J

jlew

Audiophyte
so if I try and play the outdoor speakers in zone #2 with airplay, pulling music off a computer in another room it wont work? since the receiver/tv/airplay are connected and it's an HDMI connection to the airplay?
thanks.
sorry for being an idiot.

G

Grador

so if I try and play the outdoor speakers in zone #2 with airplay, pulling music off a computer in another room it wont work? since the receiver/tv/airplay are connected and it's an HDMI connection to the airplay?
thanks.
sorry for being an idiot.
Correct. Zone 2 functionality is something that is highly variable and very difficult to keep tract of. Often times the limitations aren't even plainly apparent in the manuals. Some receivers will play digital content on Zone 2 the same as it would on Zone 1. Some will play it when you are currently playing the same on Zone 1 [if you see something labeled Zone B it will ALWAYS be able to play whatever is currently playing on Zone 1]. Others will never play digital on zone 2.

What you have in store for this, unfortunately, is a lot of research. If I were you I'd go about this by determining my budget and then getting the manuals for the highest end receiver in that budget from every main manufacturer. Read very carefully what they have to say about multi-room support.

It really is unfortunate that A/B switches aren't really around anymore, because as Mark said they would make this setup trivial.

G

Grador

I've done a little bit of research for you. The Yamaha Rx-A720 will play network sources [such as airplay, or from your computer] on both zones simultaniously, or on zone 2 alone. It will not play anything from HDMI or optical on Zone 2 at all though.

J

jlew

Audiophyte
thanks
ill take your advise and read as many manuals as possible.

G

Grador

thanks
ill take your advise and read as many manuals as possible.
Good luck finding something that fits the bill. If you have any questions about something, feel free to post for clarification.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis