What Turntable do you have?

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
My current table is a VPI HW-19 Mark IV with an SME Model 10 tonearm (not available via retail-it is identical to the SME 309 tonearm), SME damping reservoir, Audio Technica Safety Raiser (widget that raises the tonearm at the end of the record) and an Audio-Technica ATML150 MM cartridge. My phono preamp (an essential component of the turntable "subsystem") is a Quad 44 (I also occasionally use my Cambridge Audio 640P if I switch over to my Audio-Technica OC9 MC cartridge). Deep cleaning of dirty LPs is with a VPI HW-16.5 record vacuum machine (amazing what this machine will salvage). My previous table was a Thorens TD-125 Mk II, SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tonearm and another Audio-Technica ATML150 cartridge (one of the true classic 70s turntables-I sold it for peanuts to my best friend 7 years ago, who still uses it daily). Previous preamps included a Rotel 970BX and a Bellari VP129 (all of which have now found new homes) and even the built-in MM preamps in my Denon and Yamaha receivers (pretty good preamps in themselves, especially since they are essentially free with the receiver).

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sota Sapphire series 111 1987
004.jpg
Bought this new, 48 pound beast

W

WhiskeyTheHorse

Enthusiast
Agreed. I've become a Vinyl junkie myself these days. I am spinning with a Marantz PM-11S2 designed by Clear Audio. A really nice table, though its manual to change the speed which is a bit of a bummer and it doesn't auto retract the arm when the record is done playing :(

View attachment 12148
I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon and that involves manual speed change, also. But they did come up with this box that allows you to switch speeds by changing the power going to the table.

PRO-JECT SPEED BOX SE II at Music Direct

I am not certain that it will work for your table, but it might be worth a shot. There may be one made for your table also. This one is a bit spendy (to me anyways) but I am certain I have seen one much cheaper not too long ago.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Awesome table[/QUOTE

Thanks my friend, it has performed flawlessly for over 25 years, a bit expensive at the time, it was worth it though as it has weathered many moves, kind of like a Timex, it just keeps ticking.
Cheers Jeff

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
I have a Micro Seiki DD-20 that's been in and out of various closets for about 15 or 20 years. Cart headshell is missing. The mechanism to lift the tonearm at the end of a side stopped working long ago so it's got an Audio-Technica doo-hickey to take care of that. IIRC, the speed used to float a bit as well, at least according to its strobe. I know it's not one of their better tables, but would it be worth restoring, or better to sell it off for cheap? I've got a couple hundred well cared for albums in the same closet.

P

Phules

Enthusiast
I've been using a Rotel RP-955 that I found for $40, belt was missing, ordered it for $20, and wow great table in about mint condition with dust cover. Went ahead and bought a new needle for it plays great and sounds awesome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis