tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I am looking to make some upgrades in my family room/movie/music room and wanted some advice on how to spend my budget. The room is 15 x 20 x 9 but has an open floor plan design to the kitchen. Currently the system there is:

L/R def Tech ProMedia 1000
C: DefTech ProCenter 1000
surrounds: in-ceiling Jamo
subwoofer: Jamo dSub6

im fine with the surrounds but would like to upgrade the fronts and the sub. I am considering either the Ascend Sierra 1's or Paradigm studio series for fronts and one of the SVS subs, but I can't realistically afford both right now. So. Would you recommend I keep the DefTechs and replace the sub, or go for the fronts and do the sub next year?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
What would your actual budget be? I would start with the sub HSU vtf2 depending on your budget... Then go ahead with the sierra's they are awesome...

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
You might want to go out and listen to a pair of KEF LS50's for LR mains at a local shop. I own a pair and I'm extremely happy but that's my ears. Spec wise they match up; if not better than both the Paradigm & Ascend Acoustic models/series you mentioned. I have listened to the Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.5 on 2 separate occasions and came close to buying them until heard the LS50's. I found the sound more neutral & detailed with a bigger soundstage compared the Paradigm's which I felt was forced/colored compared to the LS50's. It's all about your preferences and budget.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
choices depend on the budget but I'd swap sierra's1 to more capable Philharmonitor and matching center.
I quickly checedk your current sub - 15" sealed with 400w amp - rated down to 28hz - it's not a beast but I would leave until 2nd round of upgrades

I don't know about you, but after I was amazed... strike that, floored!! by SoundScape's 8 sound my next speakers will definately designed by Dennis

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Budget is ~ $1200. Not looking to spend more, happy to spend less, but if it makes a significant difference, I could probably go up to $1500.

Unfortunately, the local A/V opportunities are pretty limited, so I can't really listen to a lot of things locally. One store dealing mostly in B&W, GoldenEar and Paradigm, another dealing in VERY high-end stuff. No local KEF or Philharmonitor dealers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
choices depend on the budget but I'd swap sierra's1 to more capable Philharmonitor and matching center.
I quickly checedk your current sub - 15" sealed with 400w amp - rated down to 28hz - it's not a beast but I would leave until 2nd round of upgrades

I don't know about you, but after I was amazed... strike that, floored!! by SoundScape's 8 sound my next speakers will definately designed by Dennis
can you get the center, I have only heard the ascends {and own 2 pairs of sierras one upgraded and not}. I am going to be trying the philarmonitors soon, my next purchase is either them or maggy mmg's so still on the fence about which, but I try not to recommend stuff I havent heard... Everyone that owns the phils loves them... but i also love my sierras..... Time for some free demos...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well the Phil's aren't a totally free demo. You pay shipping both ways.

can you get the center, I have only heard the ascends {and own 2 pairs of sierras one upgraded and not}. I am going to be trying the philarmonitors soon, my next purchase is either them or maggy mmg's so still on the fence about which, but I try not to recommend stuff I havent heard... Everyone that owns the phils loves them... but i also love my sierras..... Time for some free demos...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Well the Phil's aren't a totally free demo. You pay shipping both ways.
oh, well not completely free, when I was testing and demoing before I found the ascend 340's for my HT, I had to pay $300 in shipping fees returning stuff and at least double that in gas driving back and forth to not so local stores... Its what you have to do to get it rite... But once you figured out what you like, its satisfying every time you fire them up.... My kids are away until tomorrow night {School trip} so I listened to my 2.2 system tonight until about 10:00, my wife came down about 2 hours in and sat with me for about 2 more hours.. Its nice to be able to enjoy something with out a tv screen... Just read the paper {or in my wifes case IN style or womens Health, I guess its better than cosmo, lol} and relax... Take your time and get it rite, listen and try things in your home..

I would order 3 sets you think you may like SVS Ultras {I think they are risk free), Sierras {you have to pay return but I doubt that will be the case}, phils {if they offer a center?}, and what ever else peaks your interest, I heard some PSB bookshelfs this weekend that were pretty nice, I am going to definitely pay more attention to these guys, also heard the PSB T2's that IMO sounded better than B&W Diamonds that cost twice as much, and they sell this little mini bookshelf {I think its called the mini} and they sounded great, kind of expensive for the size, but the sound was really good... Go to a manufacturers sight and use the dealer locator, like Magnepan, PSB, B&W, ect you will find all the stores that sell high end equipment in your area, they will surprise you how close they are...

Find a Dealer / Distributor - PSB Speakers
http://www.magnepan.com/dealer_locations
Find a retailer - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W

Even if you are not interested in them brands if you use their locators, I promise you the stores have a lot more to hear and test out, my local guys will let you pick what you want to hear in your home, then load them up and come set them up in your house to see what you choose.... Obviously you are most likely going to prefer the sierras to most speakers for the price, but you never know, my local guys will even buy your old equipment... You just have to find the rite stuff for you...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Budget is ~ $1200. Not looking to spend more, happy to spend less, but if it makes a significant difference, I could probably go up to $1500.
In this case why not Ascend's CMT-340 SE for LCR ? keep the extra money toward next sub. Thou 570 could get you a nice sub, I doubt that it could seriously improve over current one. You'd need to go to 1k to have massive improvement, like HSU VTF-15h

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
340's are supposed to sound great, but this is my family room, and those are just too damn ugly for WAF.....

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have recently done my whole bedroom with Golden Ear.

Bedroom is 18x17 w/cathedral ceilings:

I strongly suggest demo'ing the Triton 7 Series. They were recently released, have received rave reviews and I couldn't be happier with a speaker in that price range. You get really good bass extension even those these lack the internal subs of the 2 & 3.

$1200 with Paradigm pretty much limits you to the Studio 10s or 20's. At that price point there are better options than Paradigm IMO. Don't get me wrong I love my studio speakers for Home theater. :)

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
i'm sure the Tritons are great, but I'm really focusing on bookshelves rather than towers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis