What to do... Looking for suggestions... Please help

S

SmokinJoe

Audiophyte
First!

Thank you for taking a moment to read this... A quick introduction...

I have been a fan of quality stereo equipment most of my life but really a layman with regard to the deep intricacies that can go into the hobby. I have been a fan for this board for years and have finally decided to join and post for help...

My first and last true foray into the world of high end audio was 15 years ago when, after some trial and error and speaking with what was considered to be the best hi if store in the area chose a reasonable 2 channel system consisting of energy c6 speakers , the adcom gtp550 pre and an nad 216 amp. If memory serves the set up set me back around 4 k.

The system served me well but with moving, apartments, condos I rarely had the opportunity to "open it up" until about 4 years ago when I moved into our first house... As luck would have it, the amp stopped working in stereo mode, it work work in mono, but the first time that I could open it up in years and it was "broken".

Fast forward 3 years and 2 kids and I have finally started to think about my new set up.

That said, I walked into best buy today, they are moving everything around the stores so there are deals to be had... Not particularly on high end stuff, but I got an elite 42 and a marauntz sr5006 as well as a set of Martin Logan motion 12 speakers, all new in the box for under 900.00. I figured no, this is not my dream system but for the money it can do for now... It is a deal... And I can use the components elsewhere later... Fast forward 40 minutes and I at the other best buy store near me and they have a set of b&w cm9s, floor model for 1050 each, while talking to the rep I throw out 750 a speaker and it is a deal just for fun , he thinks for a minutes and agrees... Now I am trading in the motion 12s and walking out with the bnws... Now a decision, I have seen the b&ws before, thought the sound was decent but for 3k figured I could do better... Now for 1500 hard to turn them down though you know sure as heck the employees beat the hell out of them as floor models.... Anyway, the speaker decision is made... I didn't go out with e idea of spending 5k on equipment today (though that would be my initial budget for a new set up)... Now I had read that the impedence on these speakers make them a bear on receivers, especially low power and I remember from looking at equipment back in the day at good clean power is key but is stuck with the e marauntz or elite and have serious questions if these can drive these speakers...

The bb employees assure me that the b&ws can be driven perfectly with the 100w per channel marauntz and that the impedence 8...

Now I do some research here and it seems that my initial thoughtS regarding power mig be right...

Thoughts? I'm tempted to return everything and go back to drawing board starting with a solid amp/pre amp/receiver, then upgrade speakers from my energys later... Seems like a mistake to have these speakers and not be a blue to power them properly for 6 months... I also know that people on this board are not ennammerd by these b&ws and maybe I can do better from a speaker choice.

Yes, I know speakers, amps, preampqs, receivers and the sound they put out are highly selective so a little about what I like.

Mostly used for music... Range from Pop, classic rock, classical, country, jazz, hip hop, etc. like my music brighter sounding, full, penetrating and loud...

Suggestions on what you would do, choices in equipment, etc... Room size is 17 x 17

Thank you![/QUOTE]

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis