What to Demo? $2500 for New L-C-R Speakers!

C

Chinaski

Audioholic Intern
Need recommendation for new L-C-R speakers, near(ish) $2,500 for all 3. In a 5000 cu. ft room, 2 story ceilings, very open. 60% HT/40% music. Will use nice sub on hand for 2.1 channel listening (when I can make time) for I enjoy Coltrane and Flaming Lips (e.g, check out the low end on "A Spoonful Weighs a Ton"). Music emphasis is on alt rock, indie rock, electronica.

Not concerned with these pairing well with the electronics I now have -- they'll be upgraded next, thinking Arcam, NAD but I digress. Class D or heavy iron coming soon.

I've already demo'd MA GS20s, RS6s, and GS10s plus Totem Sttaf (I was drawn to the dealer to hear the RS6s and listened to the others because I could though a bit pricey). My ears found the RS6s a bit too forward for my taste and a bit bright (NAD electronics used). None of these suffice for my ears from a purely 2 channel experience on all the music I demo'd (at loud (~90dB) but not deafening levels) (on Elbow's The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver, the voice at times was uncomfortable to follow). So just from a tone perspective I'm looking for something with much smoother, non-fatiguing highs, and a mid-range that will excel at reproducing a throaty growling tenor sax sound, male vocals, and female vocals.

Thanks for suggestions for me to demo. Very few local dealers with choices, so can easily go ID.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
Aside from the MA's & Totem's you already checked out, try;

RBH Sound 1044-SE, not as forward as the MA and what I would characterize as just a hair on the warm side of neutral. Probably pushing your budget though.

Lots of good buzz going on about the Salk Song Tower, probably worth a listen but again really pushing your budget.

Revel Concerta F12

and a whole bunch of others...

X

xrodney

Enthusiast
You can also try B&W 2x683 with HTM61 as central should fit to your 2.5k$ budget.
B&W are usualy mentioned as revealing and neutral speakers.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm looking for something with much smoother, non-fatiguing highs, and a mid-range that will excel at reproducing a throaty growling tenor sax sound, male vocals, and female vocals.
What you are describing is the Era D14 with an Era D4 center. One characteristic of the Era that I'm especially impressed with is their ability to produce an extremely smooth and strong midrange that is perfect for rhythm guitar, tenor sax and vocals. The bass is also smooth and natural, hard to describe exactly, but so nice to listen to. It will be in budget and be exactly what you're describing, IMHO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis