What to buy, where to start (same question millionth times)

farkasehes

farkasehes

Audiophyte
Hi,

For those, not infinitely tired of clueless newbies ...

This is my living room: (can't post links: ... imgur.com/cf4wm ), where you can see the layout of my current, about 10 yrs old HiFi setup: a pair of Quadral Pico speakers driven by a Technics technics sa-ex120 amplifier. Nothing really audiophile about it, and I am committed to invest into serious upgrading.

Of course, any advice or pointer would be highly appreciated, but let me bring some concrete questions:
  • I do want a Home Theater (5.1) in the end but I care much more (95%-5%) about the quality of listening to music. Can I solve that with one amp? Any suggestions?
  • I'd love to have something like a B&W 684, but I am worried if my room is too small for that.
  • Practically the best way forward is to have the front speakers on either side of where the TV is now (i.e. one under the window, the other next to the bookshelf accross the door). Comments?

Well, any input would be much appreciated. I am not a millionaire but I am buying for the next 15 years so I am willing to invest if that really makes difference.

Thanks for reading,

Tamas

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
how much do you want to spend ?
how big is your room ?

what is your tv ? do you want to upgrade that ?

K

kenthedrummer

Audiophyte
i could use advice also

looking at pioneer vsx 820k vs denon avr 591, will be hooking them to polk audio rm6750. i will be hooking up a cable box/dvr by component, a Wii by composite, an old vcr by composite, and eventually a new blueray by hdmi.
denon does upconverting, pioneer does not, but has alot more connection options. are there adapter cables out there that convert composite or component to hdmi?
thanks in advance for all

farkasehes

farkasehes

Audiophyte
Hi

how much do you want to spend ?
how big is your room ?

what is your tv ? do you want to upgrade that ?
The room is virtually 8m x 3m (26ft x 10 ft) (for more details, have a look at the image I showed at imgur.com/cf4wm ).

How much? Difficult. I am prepared to spend $2000+ but if I find that doubling that would be a worthy investment for the years to come, I'll find the money for that.

I have a not too exciting Toshiba LCD, upgrading that might come but it's not part of this project.

Tamas

T

Tdub

Audiophyte
I started out about two months ago with Def Tech soundbar and Yamaha 467 receiver. I didn't like the sound at all so took it back and moved up to Paradigm. I bought the SE bookshelf speakers and another Yamaha 565. The receiver started acting up so I returned that and bought an Onkyo. Along the way I picked up some Paradigm Monitor 7's. My dealer then gave me a deal on some 9's so I bought two pair of those took back the SE's and now trying to sell the 7's. As you can see it's an evil cycle!! :eek:

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
Oop's......you are using those strange metric dimensions...... ;)
where are you located - it could have a great effect on the answers you receive. Many of the "great deals" available in the USA may not even be an option for someone residing in another country.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,

For those, not infinitely tired of clueless newbies ...

This is my living room: (can't post links: ... imgur.com/cf4wm ), where you can see the layout of my current, about 10 yrs old HiFi setup: a pair of Quadral Pico speakers driven by a Technics technics sa-ex120 amplifier. Nothing really audiophile about it, and I am committed to invest into serious upgrading.

Of course, any advice or pointer would be highly appreciated, but let me bring some concrete questions:
  • I do want a Home Theater (5.1) in the end but I care much more (95%-5%) about the quality of listening to music. Can I solve that with one amp? Any suggestions?
  • I'd love to have something like a B&W 684, but I am worried if my room is too small for that.
  • Practically the best way forward is to have the front speakers on either side of where the TV is now (i.e. one under the window, the other next to the bookshelf accross the door). Comments?

Well, any input would be much appreciated. I am not a millionaire but I am buying for the next 15 years so I am willing to invest if that really makes difference.

Thanks for reading,

Tamas
Your room is huge get whatever size speaker you want. The best way to do audio is to build up over time. Get the best pair of speakers you can afford a good receiver and maybe a good sub. Then add on down the line.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
two words:

Salk Sound HT2-TL

...one's not a word?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis