What Specs Do I Need For A PA Loudspeaker Build?

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
So I have come to here because I want to build a pair of 2 way loud speakers and i've got a box that I can just assemble and mostly I know what i'm doing on everything besides the crossover and the tweeter, so what my problem is what kind of specs should I have for a tweeter? I currently have a Eminence BETA-15A
It's going to be some kind of horn tweeter driver you know the kind you would see on some DJ PA speakers, I had one in mind but I don't know if I should go for it? Eminence asd1001 or ASD:1001B, there's the 2 different ones but they are very similar but with minor changes.
Heres the site that I have looked at some of the reviews on http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-asd1001-1-hf-titanium-horn-driver-1-3-8-18-tpi--290-525

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Your problem is that you don't know what it is that you don't know. Proper speaker design takes more effort than simply matching off-the-shelf components. Sure, you can build something that makes noise, but will it be a joyful noise? It takes a lot of effort to design a speaker with a flat response. See this post for useful info.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So I have come to here because I want to build a pair of 2 way loud speakers and i've got a box that I can just assemble and mostly I know what i'm doing on everything besides the crossover and the tweeter, so what my problem is what kind of specs should I have for a tweeter? I currently have a Eminence BETA-15A
It's going to be some kind of horn tweeter driver you know the kind you would see on some DJ PA speakers, I had one in mind but I don't know if I should go for it? Eminence asd1001 or ASD:1001B, there's the 2 different ones but they are very similar but with minor changes.
Heres the site that I have looked at some of the reviews on http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-asd1001-1-hf-titanium-horn-driver-1-3-8-18-tpi--290-525
PA speakers are made to survive, which means they aren't going go do 20Hz or 20KHz, the drivers are made to dissipate heat more efficiently and the crossover may not look special, but it works, it doesn't fail and it may use electrolytic caps, which is considered sacrilegious in high-end audio. They may also have some kind of protection circuit which in some cases, is a bunch of car dome lights.

Also, this kind of speaker is made to deliver sound to a specific area, not widely and certainly not the 180 degree dispersion we see from some dome tweeters.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My suggestion would be that you contact Parts Express for a recommendation.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis