What speakers will mate well with Yamaha rx-v659?

B

bkopp

Audiophyte
I'm going to be getting this receiver, but, if as some have said, it tends to be "bright", what speakers would be a good match? My speaker budget is $500-550. I was considering polk rm 6800, hsu ventriloquist vt-12, or infinity tss 750 systems. Any thoughts on those?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One person's "bright" is another's "detailed"

...and this, my friend. all boils down to a personal preference. Nothing beats listening and deciding for yourself.

Besides, 99.9% of what you hear is determined by the speakers, the room they are in, and wherethey are placed in that room, not the receiver.

B

Bee-Man

Audioholic Intern
Well....I have a YAMAHA RXV-559 and am running with the Ventriliquists....with absolutely no complaints....but mainly for movies....I have tried them on DVD concerts and am pretty impressed with how good they can sound.....

Get the sat/sub package....with the VTF-2-MK2 and that is 700 bucks pretty well spent. Noting that that is a top of the line $500 sub that you would keep if you ever considered an upgrade of sorts.....

For another few hundred dollars.....check out the SVS system....

good luck.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Extremely Well Stated

markw said:
...and this, my friend. all boils down to a personal preference. Nothing beats listening and deciding for yourself.

Besides, 99.9% of what you hear is determined by the speakers, the room they are in, and wherethey are placed in that room, not the receiver.
I don't believe it could be said any better, no matter how many words were used. Excellent advice.

tonay

tonay

Junior Audioholic
Hi

I went to my local sound advice/tweeter and was actually able to hear speakers played thru this receiver as it has become my choice as well.

Give it try if you have one local. My favorites are the Focal 806's ($600-700 for a front pair) as I'm in the same type of range.

Good luck

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I have the 659, and love it.
I am partial to Paradigm and like the combination quite a bit.
My sig? below shows my current speakers.
Good luck and keep us informed.

B

bkopp

Audiophyte
Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions!

Pretty much decided on the ventriloquist system, but waiting for hsu to roll out their hb-1 based system before making final decision. Plus, I'm told they usually run some holiday specials, so waiting for that too.

L

Lt. Dan

Audiophyte
Results???

I am in the same scenario as you... v659, looking for surround package. Well, how did the HSU Ventriloquist turn out? Music vs. movies... etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis