what speakers to get under 1500 for ht and music

T

treve01

Enthusiast
hallo,
i am new in surround land, but i want to buy my first set of decent speakers. i want to use them for films, series, and music. i am not sure if i go for 5.1, 5.0 or something else. it can be all kinds of music.
i live in Belgium, and i cannot buy from amazon, newegg, frys, etc. i have work with www.hificorner.nl or www.bestekeus.be or something else if you know they ship to Belgium.

my budget is about 1500 dollar for everything, av + speakers. thats 1000 a 1500 euro budget.

i have been looking at:
front: (price is a piece)
- jbl es80 212 euro
- dali zensor 5
- monitor audio BX5 maybe bx6 325€ for bx5
- kef iq50 (229)
- klipsch rf52 (199 euro)
- polk audio tsi 300 (245) or tsi 400 (349 euro)
- wharfedale daimond series 10.6 (279€)
- i was about to go for yamaha ns-555 (206 euro) but then some1 who works at audio shop told me they were not that good quality speakers and dit not recommend them.
center:
the center that adds the fronts.
i was about to pick es80, but then the center speaker (es25c) looked a bit cheap and poor quality. and i read a good center is essential.

rear: the bookshelf version of the front speakers (or is that not a good idea?)
sub: not sure i am gooing to buy one directly, and i dont have any idea what to buy, i prefer a cheap one with expensive performance :p

i looked at alot reviews, and now i got confused alot. i would like to know how those speakers stand in a list for best to worse. kiplisch seems to be very good, but they can sound weird at high tones for some ears? i am also scared for ear fatigue. i read the es80 series can do that, and rf as well...

i know the best thing is to try and listen to them, but i cannot find a dealer that has both speakers available for demo, and listening to just 1 looks unfair, as i cannot compare them, and i am sure they will sound better then my jvc stereo speakers

all info is welcome. and happy holidays to everyone

Last edited:
T

treve01

Enthusiast
i forgot Tannoy Mercury V 4.
i can get the whole set (5.0) for 899. vs 955 for the klipsch rf52 (not rf-52 II)

so money is equal, but what about quality, cones from paper i read....? any one with experience on a set?

i am also leaning forward to the denon avr 2113. any idea how they perform together?

Last edited:
T

treve01

Enthusiast
anyone that can tell me how the tannoys are compared to one of the brands in the list? how would you rank them?

T

treve01

Enthusiast
maybe i made it to hard to pick all those brands, would be hard to believe no one here is able to tell me something about them.
so i narrowed it down alot. i am going to pick the tannoy mercury V4, because i can get them alot cheaper then all the other options above. these should be warm sounding speakers? not able to hear them, i have no shop near me that has them. i am about to pair them up with yamaha rx-v473. that should be a bright av receiver so could be a perfect match? so any comment on the speakers or the receiver to pair them with would be nice.
i can get the rx-v473 for 300€ and the speakers (5.0) for something around 600€. help me plz. thank you

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I'm not certain if they're available in Belgium, but if so you might want to look into XTZ as well. They make some very good products.

S

Sam Ash

Audioholic Intern
Well, the KEF iQ range are good speakers and warm sounding. However, Tannoy has a good reputation but I have not had a chance to experience them for myself.

Considering you're getting a good deal with Tannoy, I guess they should be able to fulfil your needs well. It might be a good idea to talk to Tannoy for advice in regards to an amp that is reasonably priced and can drive the aforementioned speakers well. I presume a mid range Onkyo or Denon should be able to do the job within the stipulated budget.

You will definitely need a sub woofer for the low frequency effects, especially for movies. For the sub-woofer, there is a company that makes excellent sub-woofers for a reasonable price - have a look at this link:-

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

I suppose the XXLS400 would be ideal, you could also consider the Monolith.

Let us know how it all turns out once you make a final decision and implement it.

Hope that helps.

Sam

S

Sam Ash

Audioholic Intern
If you can, try and get a demo of these speakers:-

XENO System

I have not heard them but from what I've read, they are good.

As far as the sub woofer goes, apply the same as mentioned in my previous post.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Cheers,

Sam

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Be careful of putting too much faith in the spec's BK Electronics publishes. What they quote for their subwoofers is pretty optimistic, so I image their speakers are no different. They may sell quality products, but what they claim they're able to do -- frequency response wide -- is probably not all that accurate.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
anyone that can tell me how the tannoys are compared to one of the brands in the list? how would you rank them?
From your lists
Monitor Audio, Wharfedale and even Tannoy > Tannoy makes
some nice stuff.

T

treve01

Enthusiast
thanks for reply's
i bought the tannoys V4 Vc and V1. as i was saving 250 euro on them, i did only spend that on receiver, onkyo tx-nr414. i dont need 7.2 and crap, and it was only 259. i looked at alot receivers as well, getting lost at price range 700 euro, as i did not want to spend as much, i picked cheapest. the onkyo should sound bright (some say this is crap from the old days) but for the money i get 6 x hdmi and 100W @ 8 ohm. i hope its a good pair, otherwise i can sell them maybe for same price i bought the things ;) think i did a good deal, to bad it was 84 euro for shipping to belgium, still saved me 250 :s don't get that, both new

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis