what speaker config. poll

If you could start fresh...what speaker config.? See thread starter for details

• Total voters
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
If you could start fresh and you use your system 50/50 music/HT and are just as picky about both. You would be listening to cd, dvd-v movies and concerts, dvd-a, sacd...another words all different formats 2.1/5.1/6.1 equally, always using a sub, in a average sized living/family room.(say approx. 13' x 23' x 8' like mine)

Would you choose:

(1) 5/6/7 identical bookshelf/center channel speakers and a sub or two

or

(2) A mix of speakers (Tower fronts, bookshelf or di/bipole surrounds ...) and a sub or two.

You would have all the power you need for either and all the x-over adjustabilaty of at least a good mid range hk/yamaha/denon receiver.

Thanks,
SBF1

Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
> 5/6/7 identical bookshelf/center channel speakers <

That's the way to go, no question. Maybe you could have different speakers for the front if they're from the same vendor, and the tweeters are at the same height, and all of the drivers are exactly the same so all that varies is the cabinet size. But in surround music and music in surround film soundtracks, some instruments often come from more than one speaker. So just as it's important to have the same speaker model for the left and right fronts, it's equally important for them to be the same everywhere else too.

--Ethan

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
With an adequate sub, you really don't need tower speakers unless you enjoy two channel stereo music without a sub. If you're always going to use a sub, then go all bookshelves (A matching center channel is fine as long as the drivers match the bookshelves). They're easier on the receiver, and are all timbre matched. 6 or 7 channel dsp stereo would sound great on 2 channel material (cable tv, cd's, etc...). With the money you save on towers, you can add a bit to the subwoofer budget to really round out your bass. And we all know how important bass is for movie night. ;)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
There are tradeoffs with each approach.

All bookshelves presents the problem of how and where to place the surround speakers. Unless you want to mount them on tall speaker stands or build a shelf on the wall, it's hard to place a large square bookshelf at the recommended height of 2-3 feet above ear level. How many people like the look of a big speaker protruding from a shelf on the wall?

Tower speakers present the same problem for the front of the room. They are large and bulky and may not blend so well with the decor of the room if the room is not a dedicated listening/viewing space.

If you have the space for a large wall unit, front towers can be placed next to it and appear to blend in with the whole setup. Smaller bi/dipole speakers mounted on the side walls well above ear level are not as noticeable as squareish bookshelves. That is the combination I prefer even if all bookshelves would be 'better'.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
MDS said:
There are tradeoffs with each approach.

All bookshelves presents the problem of how and where to place the surround speakers. Unless you want to mount them on tall speaker stands or build a shelf on the wall, it's hard to place a large square bookshelf at the recommended height of 2-3 feet above ear level. How many people like the look of a big speaker protruding from a shelf on the wall?

Tower speakers present the same problem for the front of the room. They are large and bulky and may not blend so well with the decor of the room if the room is not a dedicated listening/viewing space.

If you have the space for a large wall unit, front towers can be placed next to it and appear to blend in with the whole setup. Smaller bi/dipole speakers mounted on the side walls well above ear level are not as noticeable as squareish bookshelves. That is the combination I prefer even if all bookshelves would be 'better'.
What if looks and location are not issues. I understand that they are issues we all deal with but...

How about just for sound quality if one really wants the best of all worlds? (or as close as someone can get to a true "all around" setup)

This poll is really to see how many agree/disagree with the all the same speaker and cut at 80htz recommendation.

SBF1

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
This should be added to the list

(3) 3 Identical Tower fronts, 2-4 Di/Bipole surrounds(plus 2 Towers(identical to the fronts) for Hi-res Music surrounds) and a sub or two:D

cheers:)

S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
This is an impossible choice. 5.1 music and HT use a different layout for speakers, for one thing. And well recorded music is a lot more demanding than any movie sound track is (at least for the movies I watch). If you're picky, you are more or less committed to getting the best possible speakers for your mains - but it's rarely possible to afford 6 of them, and even if you could, the movie sound tracks wouldn't justify the expense.

I went the route of getting different speakers, but from the same manufacturer. The mains are the very best I can afford. The surrounds are the same line but two steps down in size and cost. It works very well.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Bar none, your best bet is having 5 of the same speakers. I prefer towers all the way around. All of them should be capable of going down to ~35Hz, nice and clean. Then you can add a decent sub and cut it off at 40 or so. The problems with this setup are it is expensive, takes beefy amps, and lots of room. You can switch off the sub and other speakers for 2ch listening, and it will sound natural. If you watch the scene on Spiderman 2 where DR. Octavious (however you spell that) turns on the containment field for the first time using towers all the way around, you will understand what I’m talking about.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
MacManNM said:
Bar none, your best bet is having 5 of the same speakers. I prefer towers all the way around. All of them should be capable of going down to ~35Hz, nice and clean. Then you can add a decent sub and cut it off at 40 or so. The problems with this setup are it is expensive, takes beefy amps, and lots of room. You can switch off the sub and other speakers for 2ch listening, and it will sound natural. If you watch the scene on Spiderman 2 where DR. Octavious (however you spell that) turns on the containment field for the first time using towers all the way around, you will understand what I’m talking about.
Hi MacMan,

Ah yes, I seem to remember you toying with the all towers thing a little while ago but with two centers...what was the conclusion on that chain of thought?

Hyjacking my own thread,
SBF1

p.s. you didn't mark a vote.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis