Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Turntable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Coat2017

Coat2017

Audioholic Intern
Currently running:

Kenwood KD-12RB Turntable (with original cartridge)
Optimus STAV-3770 Receiver (puts out 100W)
2 Optimus STS-620 speakers (each taking up to 50W each)

I do currently have another open thread, which was originally primarily focused on just gaining more knowledge and taking suggestions on general system stuff.

After getting some AWESOME feedback, I now want to focus on one basic question, and would like some personal experience along with your vote if applicable.

Issue:
New to the whole vinyl/hifi setup. I don't know much about the specs and technical stuff, but I know my ears. My system currently doesn't sound its best. Speakers sound a little forced, there is a minor dullness in playback, etc. I get it, the components aren't expensive or high-end, I don't expect to hear EVERY SINGLE BEAUTIFUL DETAIL that was captured.... not just yet anyway :rolleyes: But I want to make progress

I DO NOT want or expect to get perfect sound just by upgrading one of these. One thing at a time...

Answer:
I know I want to make upgrades, just don't know in what order
My top 3 upgrades are currently the CARTRIDGE, SPEAKERS, TURNTABLE

I would like some votes as to which upgrade I should START with. I just need one choice, I want some second opinions

Thank you all in advance for your input!
Cheers

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
No need for second opinions, really. @TLS Guy is somewhat of a turntable expert, you can trust him.

Or imagine this; you save and buy new speakers but now you got a bunch of records that started crackling beyond acceptance... No good.

Coat2017

Coat2017

Audioholic Intern
No need for second opinions, really. @TLS Guy is somewhat of a turntable expert, you can trust him.

Or imagine this; you save and buy new speakers but now you got a bunch of records that started crackling beyond acceptance... No good.

Fair enough!
I did kind of already have my mind made up when posting this one, but was curious/interested to see if anyone else had input from experience that would sway me elsewhere... clearly the other thread was more effective haha
Thanks @killdozzer

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers. Because even if the turntable goes to total crap, you can still listen to the radio through better speakers.

As far as vinyl/turntables go, I may have met maybe two people in my life that could halfway maintain vinyl to something listenable.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I thought that was what you're up to and that's perfectly fine. The greatest sound improvement would come with better speakers, if I learned anything here on AH. But, if there's real threat of damaging your records it makes no sense to wait. I mean, what will happen:) you'll have better speakers and thus be able to hear better how your records go to waste.

Those links you got weren't showing some expensive cartridges. That means you'll probably be on your feet in no time and ready for the next purchase. Until then you could try to audition a few of recommended speakers and see what you like.

It seems reasonable. Like a plumber would say; first stop the leak.

Coat2017

Coat2017

Audioholic Intern
I thought that was what you're up to and that's perfectly fine. The greatest sound improvement would come with better speakers, if I learned anything here on AH. But, if there's real threat of damaging your records it makes no sense to wait. I mean, what will happen:) you'll have better speakers and thus be able to hear better how your records go to waste.

Those links you got weren't showing some expensive cartridges. That means you'll probably be on your feet in no time and ready for the next purchase. Until then you could try to audition a few of recommended speakers and see what you like.

It seems reasonable. Like a plumber would say; first stop the leak.
RIGHT ON
If the current cartridge wasn't the original [as it sounds like it most likely is], I wouldn't be so worried. But after some feedback regarding that TT's stock cart, and looking at it up close, I realized it DEFINITELY wouldn't hurt to spend a couple bucks as an investment for future vinyl care and sound.
That way these new speakers put out even clearer quality, even longer *thumbs up*

You're spot on, handle the most critical first ;)
I can't even begin to explain how awesome everyone is on here. VERY helpful

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
As far as vinyl/turntables go, I may have met maybe two people in my life that could halfway maintain vinyl to something listenable.
well, if we ever meet that will bump up to three ..........

to the Op, IMO all could and need to be upgraded if you want to do analog to a higher level of enjoyment, but if I have to pick one first.......... speakers, for all the reasons talked about here on Audioholics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis