What should I set my crossover point to with an ideal dual subwoofer setup?

K

Karn

Audiophyte
Hello Audioholics,

I'm running two Power Sound Audio XS30s in a symmetrical 23'x18'x9' room with front and back mid-wall placement. In one of the Audioholics videos, Gene mentions that having ideal dual subwoofer placement as I do allows a higher crossover point to be set because the bass is even less localized than with a typical setup. I've been running an 80Hz standard crossover, but how much higher can I go? 90Hz? 100Hz?

Regards,
Karn

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One way to find out :) I've been using from 100-120 for a while (100 at the moment) with four subs and no localization issues. YMMV.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, just start moving it up until you like it or don't. Don't worry about faux pas. The important thing is that it sounds good to you, although if you get height than 120ish, I'd say you'd be cutting into the area where the mains will do better.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Most folks go with a starting point of 80hz. Experiment up and down from there to see what sounds best to you.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I've seen a good deal of subs perform poorly to far past 100hz. I would just stick with 80hz unless you're getting poor performance at that crossover frequency.

I've seen some setups perform better with a lower crossover point depending on the room and placement. Unless you're running tiny speakers there's not really any benefit.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've seen a good deal of subs perform poorly to far past 100hz. I would just stick with 80hz unless you're getting poor performance at that crossover frequency.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
Why? We don't even know what mains he has. No reason not to try, as many subs do not perform poorly beyond 100hz. And if performance is poor at the XO there are a few reasons why, and sticking to 80 won't necessarily address it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis