what price do you tell your friends when they ask you how much your audio gears are?

what price do you tell your friends when they ask you how much your audio gears are?

• Total voters
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

option 1: SRP
option 2: SRP less the standard discount to normal people
option 3: SRP less the incredible amount of haggling you did the dealer (example: I used to buy at the standard discounts [15% over here] but having established regular business with the dealers, sometimes I can get 20%, sometimes 25%, and rarely 30%)

majorloser

majorloser

If you have to ask....

You can't afford it.

Besides, their wives wouldn't allow it.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I tell them SPR, then what I paid, then what it would cost to buy now.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I tell them what I paid then what it's worth. I like to get their hopes up a bit ;).

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
If asked, I would tell the exact amount. Why would you want to mislead them?

Nick

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Depends on the person. Usually I go with SRP as for how much the system is worth. For how much I paid, it is hard to say because I trade a bunch against new gear and work accomodation programs by being in the business and then buy some stuff used/online which gets some phenomenal deals.

30% off MSRP is typically not a good deal for me. 70% off MSRP is what I consider a good deal. I've done 70% off more than a few times.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
BMXTRIX said:
Depends on the person. Usually I go with SRP as for how much the system is worth. For how much I paid, it is hard to say because I trade a bunch against new gear and work accomodation programs by being in the business and then buy some stuff used/online which gets some phenomenal deals.

30% off MSRP is typically not a good deal for me. 70% off MSRP is what I consider a good deal. I've done 70% off more than a few times.
Cool, I'll come to you when it's upgrade time.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
My equipment list is below. I usually tell people they can get a fairly nice car for what I've spent.The Lexicon is the first piece of new gear I've purchased in 4 years.:D

ARC SP9 MKII preamp
VPI HW19jr
Rega RB300
Marcof PPA1 head amp
Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon cartridges
Marantz CD63SE CD
MSB DtoA
Sony DVP-NS500V
Accuphase T101 tuner
Nakamichi LX-3, ZX-7 Cassette
Lexicon MC-8 (recently purchased)
2 modified Hafler DH200
2 radically modified Dynaco MK3's
1 Adcom GFA545
2 Paradigm xovers
2 12" Subs
1pr Acoustat Spectra 22/SPW-1 ESL's (fronts)
1pr Acoustat Model 1 ESL's (rears)
The woofer cabinet from the Spectras' is connected with the Model 1's for my rears

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Most of my friends know better than to ask. When they do, I just tell them MSRP, then to soften the shock, I tell them about my %15- %30 savings.

majorloser

majorloser

WAF isn't even a consideration...

Sleestack said:
Most of my friends know better than to ask. When they do, I just tell them MSRP, then to soften the shock, I tell them about my %15- %30 savings.
LMAO

Even with 15-30% off with your toys it's enough to be considered grounds for divorce with most wives. :eek:

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
majorloser said:
LMAO

Even with 15-30% off with your toys it's enough to be considered grounds for divorce with most wives. :eek:
My wife would leave me if I just paid the 15-30% alone.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I usually tell them what it would cost for them to buy it.

Unless of course, my cdp comes up then i would say it was 1k new but i got it used for $520

If someone doesnt know the gear, the only thing to really let them know what kind of stuff it is, is how much it costs. stupid yes. the truth yes.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
gmichael said:
I tell them SPR, then what I paid, then what it would cost to buy now.
Exactly the same for me, gmichael.

BRyan...and my wife doesn't ask questions when she doesn't want to know the answer...

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I tell my friends what I actually paid. I tell my wife it was $38.00 altogether...:cool:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My friends don't really ask what I spent, but they do ask why I don't have a car :D

SheepStar

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
My actual cost:

Speakers: $300
reciever: $250
Cables: $40
DVD Changer: $90 (most of it was buying a new "OEM" remote for this old unit)
TV: $250
Speaker stands: $50

...I tell them they may get this gear for more or less than me, depending on how far they are willing to go for it, and just sheer luck (I bought the DVD player as a non-functioning unit, and fixed it back up, etc).

Just let your friends know they can get great sound. Just don't go buying bottom dollar stuff new....they can get better deals on used gear at those prices.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
You know I've

spent about $4500.00(cdn) and most of the friends and family I know either have HTIB or some BOSE wave radio/ipod. So they don't know or really care to know what I spent.:) Now if they were to ask, I'd be honest and tell them. So my point is this? By joining this forum I felt I'm talking to people who care or share the same interest/illness as me because the people around me are clueless. :D

Last edited:
highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Takeereasy said:
I tell them what I paid then what it's worth. I like to get their hopes up a bit ;).
Same here,either way most of em still think im nuts,even the friends of mine who spend mega bucks going on ski trips or hunting trips cant understand any other hobby than their own.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis