What part of the tweeter blows?

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
I got a pair of B&W DM603's really cheap off of CL with one of the domes on the tweeter cracked open and dented. I cant find a replacement tweeter anywhere. But the tweeter dome is available from B&W. My question is, if the tweet is blown, which part blows? I removed the tweet from the cabinet then removed the 3 screws holding the dome along with the voice coil from the magnet. Im assuming its the dome that blows if indeed its blown. Im wondering if I can get away with just ordering the dome part and not the magnet.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Is the voice coil discolored at all? Does it smell burnt?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The dome replacement should include the voice coil. I would just order it and install it. I can't think of any other part of a tweeter that would be damaged.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
I was under the impression that some tweet's domes are just dust covers while others are actually integral parts of the tweeter itself, like the B&W aluminum domes.
Is the voice coil discolored at all? Does it smell burnt?
I dont know. I put it back to test it. Ill have to take it out again and look. Im going to call B&W today and talk to a tech. Hopefully I can just order the voice coil part and it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The dome is what actually makes the sound... The voice coil will be attached to it integrally, meaning you replace the whole assembly.

Last edited:
R

Refuge

Audiophyte
The only part that will "blow" is the voice coil. The dome can be damaged externally by sharp objects piercing the dome or blunt objects crushing the dome.
The magnet NEVER is damaged by normal use by humans. It can be damaged ON PURPOSE by demagnetization or heating it in a blast furnace.
You describe damage to the dome, "one of the domes on the tweeter cracked open and dented.". It's possible to damage the cone without damaging the voice coil.
You could try repairing the damage to the dome with some lightweight glue . . . . or,
Replace the voice coil and dome. Should be one piece.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis