What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
1709493538453.png

Stylus Brush - MOFI MFSL
Brand: Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab
Replacing a Record Dr stylus cleaner in a liquid solution. I read somewhere that it isn't a good idea to clean your stylus with any kind of liquid as it starts to break down the stylus/ cartridge connection. Since I just installed a new stylus, I wanted to clean it with no liquid. Cheap enough at $10 shipped.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Coupla new things today, though most were ordered earlier in the week.

For starters, on Thursday I had gotten our Fed Tax refund so I had called my dealer (Audio Video Therapy of Nashua NH) and asked John to get me an up-level replacement for the Audio Technica AT33Sa cartridge that I had trashed last year and since had re-tipped by Andy Kim of phonocartridgerepair.com with his boron cantilever and microline stylus. While the work is outstanding and the cartridge now outperforms my Hana ML, I longed to have a good Shibata stylus again. John ordered an Audio Technica ART9XA and another Luxman OPPD-SH1 headshell for me.

While talking with him about upgrades I hope to do this year, I mention my integrated amp, a phono amp, the cartridge, and perhaps a better tonearm for my best turntable (of 2), the Luxman PD-171A w/ Jelco SA-250 tonearm. He mentioned that he had just bought 8 new-old stock Jelco tonearms from the importer, stock that was remaining from show static demo and untouched new. The best one he had was a TS-750EB, which by the model number means it's all black. I settled for a TS-550S for $300 less.

I went there today to see what came in, and unfortunately walked out with only the tonearm. I then took a little drive up the road further to Infectious Groove of Amherst NH and got 5 records. Those included The Lumineers (eponymous, 1st album), Porcupine Tree "Signify", The Pretenders "Packed", Talk Talk "It's My Life" (12" single), Nathaniel Ratlieff and The Night Sweats "Tearing at The Seams." When I got back home I had a delivery from USPS waiting, the 3 LP's I bought a week before from a seller on Audiokarma. Those were Lake Street Dive "Fun Machine", David Bowie "Heroes", and War On Drugs "Lost In The Dream".

If I could have seen the future, I wouldn't have bought (and already paid for) the AT cartridge, the Luxman headshell, or the tonearm because at 1:04AM on Friday 3/1, our daughter got burned out of the shared living mansion where she lived. She got out with just the clothes on her back. We took her to get her a new phone, some clothes, and some food. She's staying with friends in another building on the campus, but that won't last long. I started a Go Fund Me campaign to help her get the funds to recover by getting an apartment, and she'll need EVERYTHING. Ouch.

View attachment 66229
View attachment 66231
View attachment 66230
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's house fire. Please PM me the go fund me link. Take care.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I stewed a long time and then got this too. I think I'll just mix it up a bit depending on my mood.

il_1588xN.2822533082_e39p.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Coupla new things today, though most were ordered earlier in the week.

For starters, on Thursday I had gotten our Fed Tax refund so I had called my dealer (Audio Video Therapy of Nashua NH) and asked John to get me an up-level replacement for the Audio Technica AT33Sa cartridge that I had trashed last year and since had re-tipped by Andy Kim of phonocartridgerepair.com with his boron cantilever and microline stylus. While the work is outstanding and the cartridge now outperforms my Hana ML, I longed to have a good Shibata stylus again. John ordered an Audio Technica ART9XA and another Luxman OPPD-SH1 headshell for me.

While talking with him about upgrades I hope to do this year, I mention my integrated amp, a phono amp, the cartridge, and perhaps a better tonearm for my best turntable (of 2), the Luxman PD-171A w/ Jelco SA-250 tonearm. He mentioned that he had just bought 8 new-old stock Jelco tonearms from the importer, stock that was remaining from show static demo and untouched new. The best one he had was a TS-750EB, which by the model number means it's all black. I settled for a TS-550S for $300 less.

I went there today to see what came in, and unfortunately walked out with only the tonearm. I then took a little drive up the road further to Infectious Groove of Amherst NH and got 5 records. Those included The Lumineers (eponymous, 1st album), Porcupine Tree "Signify", The Pretenders "Packed", Talk Talk "It's My Life" (12" single), Nathaniel Ratlieff and The Night Sweats "Tearing at The Seams." When I got back home I had a delivery from USPS waiting, the 3 LP's I bought a week before from a seller on Audiokarma. Those were Lake Street Dive "Fun Machine", David Bowie "Heroes", and War On Drugs "Lost In The Dream".

If I could have seen the future, I wouldn't have bought (and already paid for) the AT cartridge, the Luxman headshell, or the tonearm because at 1:04AM on Friday 3/1, our daughter got burned out of the shared living mansion where she lived. She got out with just the clothes on her back. We took her to get her a new phone, some clothes, and some food. She's staying with friends in another building on the campus, but that won't last long. I started a Go Fund Me campaign to help her get the funds to recover by getting an apartment, and she'll need EVERYTHING. Ouch.

View attachment 66229
View attachment 66231
View attachment 66230
Wow, sorry to hear about your daughter, but at least she is OK. A friend of our family's daughter wasn't so lucky in a shared living building fire in Oakland a few years ago.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Received in the mail today a custom made Step Up Transformer from Nate Grindheim. It should work incredibly well with the very low output of both my Andy Kim reworked Audio Technica AT33Sa (now with his own boron cantilever and microline stylus) and the Audio Technica ART9XA cartridge I'd ordered a day before the bad event that struck the place where our daughter lived.

This is a 1:14 step up ratio unit and both cartridges are down around 0.2mV output. Neither my Luxman integrated amp's internal phono stage nor the max 60dB gain of my Musical Surroundings Phenomena II+ phono amp is quite enough, so I needed something more.

1000005770.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Visited my dealer to buy good shielded RCA cables to try getting rid of a serious hum I am getting with my new Nate Grindheim SUT that I got yesterday. They had nothing short but loaned me a pair of 1m long Tributaries Series 8. While there I picked up a MoFi Ultradisc One-Step edition of Crosby Stills & Nash.

The cables didn't solve the problem and the SUT is packed up to ship back to Minneapolis. (He's such a gentleman, already refunded me.) Still looking for the best solution to use two M/C cartridges that are both down around 0.2mV output.

#3501 of 12,000

1000005790.jpg

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Visited my dealer to buy good shielded RCA cables to try getting rid of a serious hum I am getting with my new Nate Grindheim SUT that I got yesterday. They had nothing short but loaned me a pair of 1m long Tributaries Series 8. While there I picked up a MoFi Ultradisc One-Step edition of Crosby Stills & Nash.

The cables didn't solve the problem and the SUT is packed up to ship back to Minneapolis. (He's such a gentleman, already refunded me.) Still looking for the best solution to use two M/C cartridges that are both down around 0.2mV output.

#3501 of 12,000

View attachment 66378
Not about your buzz but the CSN album pictured got me thinking again about looking for albums I don't have. But between So Far, CSN (the three on the sail boat) and Daylight Again, it seems that I have most of the songs that are on other albums and no idea they are different versions or the same studio versions.

I looked up the CSN album in your post and I have most of those songs. I also looked at Deja Vu and again I have most of the songs. I also have 4 Way Street.

I might go and just buy individual songs and compile my own album of songs I don't already have.

Of all the artists out there I find CSN/CSNY albums the most confusing.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Not about your buzz but the CSN album pictured got me thinking again about looking for albums I don't have. But between So Far, CSN (the three on the sail boat) and Daylight Again, it seems that I have most of the songs that are on other albums and no idea they are different versions or the same studio versions.

I looked up the CSN album in your post and I have most of those songs. I also looked at Deja Vu and again I have most of the songs. I also have 4 Way Street.

I might go and just buy individual songs and compile my own album of songs I don't already have.

Of all the artists out there I find CSN/CSNY albums the most confusing.
In the CSN/CSNY releases, I have 4-Way Street, Deja Vu, Daylight Again, Allies, and So Far.

I invite you to come over sometime and hear that one. Stunning. Or any others I have, or bring your favorite. :)

You're not all that far from me, as far as I can tell.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
In the CSN/CSNY releases, I have 4-Way Street, Deja Vu, Daylight Again, Allies, and So Far.

I invite you to come over sometime and hear that one. Stunning. Or any others I have, or bring your favorite. :)

I have almost all of their releases mostly DVD but some LPs. I still think the first album CSN was the best. Deja Vu was the 2nd. IMHO Suite Judy Blue Eyes is one of the best songs ever.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic

I keep thinking about that. I appreciate the offer. I fear if I heard your system I'd become unhappy with my speakers but then I have no way in the medium term of rearranging the room to accommodate non-corner speakers. My Allison Three speakers are made for being in the corners.

I've also considered asking someone with a great system to come here and tell me how good my speakers are. But that could also give me the same problem.

But I do keep wondering about how good my speakers are and having some alternative point of reference. At this time I'm still very happy with my speakers and I fear ruining that.

My main problem is that I'm in the basement and have to live with on and off sounds from the gas burner and forced air system in the background.

Today I downloaded Deja Vu and added it to my music library. Then the BluOS Controller software refused to index it. So that was a waste of a couple hours. I finally succeeded by adding "Guest" to the Music folder share. I have no idea why it worked especially because BluOS wants to link to an alias Music2 folder that doesn't actually exist.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I have Deja Vu, 4 Way Street and So Far on CD. I stream everything else. Also have the other iterations of the 4 of them and almost all of Neil’s stuff. Beautiful harmonies. Suggest you stick with what you have if you’re happy. Comparing usually leads to sorrow. There’s always someone with a better system. If you’re happy when you listen that’s all that matters IMO.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Just got Supertramp Crime of the Century.
IMG_4046.jpeg
The original CD on eBay and it sounds great. A very well recorded album.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Just got Supertramp Crime of the Century. View attachment 66393 The original CD on eBay and it sounds great. A very well recorded album.
I have the Mobile Fidelity vinyl of Crime of the Century that I bought in the late 1970's early 1980s. I probably played it once or twice because I always copied straight to cassette back then.

My new laptop has an analog headset jack. If I ever start copying some of my vinyls to the computer that's one of the first I'd do.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Just got Supertramp Crime of the Century. View attachment 66393 The original CD on eBay and it sounds great. A very well recorded album.
I'd be curious to know how you find the recording level. My copy is one of the quietest CDs that I own. Wide dynamic range with no compression like modern albums. I have to turn the volume up a lot in the car when those tracks come on, and then the next song from another album blows the doors off. :D

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I'd be curious to know how you find the recording level. My copy is one of the quietest CDs that I own. Wide dynamic range with no compression like modern albums. I have to turn the volume up a lot in the car when those tracks come on, and then the next song from another album blows the doors off. :D
Agree that’s one of the reasons I searched out the original release. It is quiet and I turn the volume up much more but as you said the dynamic range is much greater. I find most of the remasters now have so much compression that they are much louder than my old CDs at the same volume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis