What makes people belive so much in cables?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Anybody remember the Tice clock back in the 1980s? Plug it into any outlet in the house and your audio system would be transformed. I'm not making this up. :)
I had google this... OMG!

Tice claims that Tice Pulse Technology (TPT) "programs" the electrons to flow in a more direct path. This is said to reduce so-called "electron noise," a type of noise which Tice says they have recently discovered, and to dramatically improve the sound of a system where TPT is employed. This electron noise is said not to be related to other forms of power-line noise.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I had google this... OMG!

Tice claims that Tice Pulse Technology (TPT) "programs" the electrons to flow in a more direct path. This is said to reduce so-called "electron noise," a type of noise which Tice says they have recently discovered, and to dramatically improve the sound of a system where TPT is employed. This electron noise is said not to be related to other forms of power-line noise.
TPT is just another audiophoolery bullshit theory that will never change nor improve the audio rendition of high fidelity equipment. If people hear differences, good for them. The human ear doesn't hear electrons. Electrons never make detours, they always flow in a direct path! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the link. I do frequent ASR though I'm not a member, but I missed this. I didn't figure thar Amir would recommend this thing. :)

adaktug

adaktug

Audiophyte
Hi,
I am new here, but have had many HT in my life, and it is a big interest of mine.
And usually for fun, i am checking on forums and usually want to scream while i laugh to people that buys 20k ethernet cables, and they can hear a difference.

What makes people belive that digital data can make any difference at all in audio? How can the whole world function with advanced databases and full Datacenters with extreme data transfer speed and accuracy, but when it comes to sound, it is impossible to convince them?

I have tried, others have tried to do it, but it is impossible.

I can get their reasoning in for example speaker cables (make no misstake i use off the shelf speaker cables, and there is no dufference) but when it comes to pure digital data, there is only 2 values, it is either 1 or 0 there is no in between.

They even discuss what optical cable to use instead of ethernet at home. And they can hear a difference in optical cables too.

My blood pressure is rising, and how can people that in many cases probably are pretty smart (many of them seem to have deep pockets, so i assume they have/had decent careers) be so stupid when it comes to audio? Like it is something magic that happens. Have they ever seen a recording studio? What cables they use?

I was just browsing here, and my mind and blood pressure could not take it anymore when i could see the thread about optical cables:

Even "breaking in" optical cables?

I have tried to take the discussion there, but that is not "allowed" and i needed to vent and i am sorry it happend to be here. But maybe someone here have any inside information/knowledge of why? How can an optical data cable make the sound "insert some magic Word"? It is impossible.

And how can it be allowed to market for example ethernet cables that sells only on describing what it does for sound? It is false advertising.
optical cables seem to me to me high ended sound wise... else have not done much testing on optical cabling...

Cables though have been tested and compared for many years... we suggest you test cables yourself BUT
DO NOT USE the antiquated Double-Blind test process ! Hearing memory is about 2-4 seconds long
we offer the idea of using an instantaneous cable testing scheme.
see attachmentsschematic2.jpg...

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
optical cables seem to me to me high ended sound wise... else have not done much testing on optical cabling...

Cables though have been tested and compared for many years... we suggest you test cables yourself BUT
DO NOT USE the antiquated Double-Blind test process ! Hearing memory is about 2-4 seconds long
see attachmentsView attachment 63096...
You don't give up easily, I suppose that's somewhat an attribute. Your content, not so much....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Optical cables are excellent signal carriers but they have a weakness: They are fragile. IMO balanced copper cables using XLR connectors are the best audio signal carriers.

T

Tea

Audiophyte
I imagine some of it is people moving from a very thin wire to an “audiophile” grade cable and noticing a subtle improvement. The improvement is likely just from using a larger and more suitable gauge, rather than anything else.

With that said I bought Chord Epic (ducks for cover), but I’m honest with myself and bought it because I think it’s aesthetically beautiful and blends in nicely with my dark wood flooring.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

If you have to go thru all of that to find an audible difference in anything. . .

Still baffles me how the most OCD afflicted can sleep, knowing that in spite of their best, expensive efforts, they can allow for the regular wire hidden in the boxes at both ends of their chain. Or even if they had the actual nuts to replace it all the way to the drivers, and in thru the electronic components, how the remaining weak links would not drive them absolutely insane.

This is where the cable nutters get a snub from me. If you're going to obsess over such a thing, double down on it and insist everyone else believe it, at least have the gumption to get rid of all the faulty wire and less than noble bits throughout. This half-assed patch job of wire in between more faulty wire is just weak AF.

No matter what you say, the rest of us know you have dirty wire in your system. If you're going to OCD, at least do it right.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Never owned a Naim amp but that would have been a very expensive nightmare. I wonder how many people actually bought this cable?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The most expensive speaker cable in the world?

21k, chump change ...........

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
You didn't know that they have been called Fraudioquest for awhile? :D
Oh yeah or the new Monster? More like Monster on steroids. I hate to admit it, but I have one of their entry level interconnects in my system the Tower between my CD player and my receiver. No need to replace it as it works fine but I won't buy another AQ product.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis