What kind of pre-pro do i need?

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
What kind of pre amp or pre-pro do I need. Right now I have a Marantz SR4002. I have a projecotr and dvd and xbox 360 hooked up with HDMI cables. And then a computer hooked up with an rca to the receiver. I also have an Acurus 3 channel amp running off the pre outs of the marantz. I want to have a pre-pro that does home theatre but also want to listen to music thru just the front channels (2.1). I know this is a lot of info but i don't know how else to clarify what i would need and i am lost about what I would need in a pre amp or pre-pro. Thanks for any help.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
What kind of pre amp or pre-pro do I need. Right now I have a Marantz SR4002. I have a projecotr and dvd and xbox 360 hooked up with HDMI cables. And then a computer hooked up with an rca to the receiver. I also have an Acurus 3 channel amp running off the pre outs of the marantz. I want to have a pre-pro that does home theatre but also want to listen to music thru just the front channels (2.1). I know this is a lot of info but i don't know how else to clarify what i would need and i am lost about what I would need in a pre amp or pre-pro. Thanks for any help.
Does the Marantz produce audible hiss/noise or something? If not, why is not sufficient for 2 channel pre-amp use?

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I actually looked at the Marantz SR 4002 to use as a preamp before I got the Yamaha. That Marantz should work excellent as a stereo preamp as well as for surround sound, it even handles audio over HDMI, high resolution LPCM.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The Marantz is perfectly capable of doing what you want. I guess I'm wondering the same thing as WmAx...what do you need it to do that it won't do?

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
I actually like the Marantz I have now but was thinking down the road I might use a separate pre-pro. But from what you guys are saying... a good receiver will work as well as a pre-pro.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I actually like the Marantz I have now but was thinking down the road I might use a separate pre-pro. But from what you guys are saying... a good receiver will work as well as a pre-pro.
You would have to spend a lot of money on a pre-pro to get a little better sound. Stay with what you have. I went from an Onkyo AVR to a Rotel Processor and it wasn't as good as the pre-amp section of the Onkyo IMO.

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Do you have the upgrade bug? What's the budget? Staying Marantz, what about the AV8003?
Hmm... Bad recommendation for this particular nice young fellow.

Besides, the AV8003 is flawed. Double check your sources.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis