What is your favorite Movie?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Interesting thread but some of you have horrible taste in movies:p.

For me this is the test. If I am surfing the cable movie channels there are only a few films that will make me stop if for only a few minutes no matter how many times I've seen the film. I call it the Shawshank Redemption phenomena.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Good flick, not a favorite though, and Requiem for a Dream is an even heavier (IMO) addiction flick. Basketball Diaries was also a decent addition flick.
Heavier, no doubt.

Requiem for a Dream is an excellent movie. In my opinion, it's the best anti-drug movie ever, and I don't know at what age you could show that to a kid at...but early in high school would probably be a good idea. It's a powerful movie to watch, exhausting even, and certainly makes an impact. It's the drug movie that can capture non-addicts. Trainspotting can't do that, you need to have some previous experience, be it in your family ... but mostly yourself.. for it's impact. There is so much big stuff happening in Reqiuem, that it makes the impact, but it loses some of the realism. Because, with addiction, it is the spaces between the big "explosions" that eats at you.

Trainspotting is a movie about addiction that is more relavent to addicts, or people that want to see what its like and the thought process. Paying attention to that movie, David Boyle really does give that insight. I think people who haven't been exposed to addiction themselves, miss some of the movie if they aren't careful (I'm not saying that isn't you, I'm just sayin' in general ... you own TCM "Tweekend," haha!, I'm not doubting you!). Scenes like at the bar, with all the alcoholics, sitting there with everyone, yet feeling so alone. The screaming in that scene while he just sits there. Watching TV, filling time. Time time time. Eating dinner with family. Seeing friends you used to shoot up with, still addicts and falling. That part where he visits Sick Boy in his apartment...the horror on his face walking in.... kicking the soccer ball against the wall and fidgiting like a true sober person...realizing he's driving Sick Boy absolutely crazy he stops and sits down. The parts in the club, when he finally got his sex drive back. The overdose scene...sinking into the carpet (probably the best possible way to show the feeling of that on film). Trainspotting is the addiction movie that makes sense to addicts. It doesn't ignore the spaces between. ;)

That's just how I look at it anyways. Both should be in any collection. ;) Their approach is different, and each one therefore satisfies something a little different.

Ah, sorry to ramble.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have way too many to list, and some of my favorites were already listed, especially anything that includes Jason Statham and Vinnie jones lol. But I thought I would throw this out there, since I haven't seen it on the list, with Christian Bale, was "Equilibrium". The story, action sequences, and the whole idea of the movie I just loved, if that get released in Blu-Ray I wouldn't even blink to buy it, loved that movie.

Anyone else even seen it ?
I nearly crapped my pants the first time I saw it. I still haven't seen it for sale and every time I ask they won't be getting any. I wish it was redone, using the same style as Batman Begins. It needs to be Darker, same with all superhero related movies.

SheepStar

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Wow only one passing mention for Kurosawa?!! How about LUCKY NUMBER SLEVIN that wasn't bad at all.

The orginal BLOB with Steve McQueen, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Disney's version), War Of The Worlds (1956 version), The Day The Earth Stood Still, Battle Of The Bulge, TORA TORA TORA, Soylent Green, The Omega Man (Heston), The Time Machine (1960), First Men On The Moon, Metropolis, Shape Of Things To Come (1930), Frankenstein (1930's) Dracula (Lugosi 30's), King Kong (30's), When Worlds Collide (1956), anything produced by George Pal he was the George Lucas of his time, The Maginificent Seven (Yul Brynner) and ode to Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai, these are some of my favorite Saturday afternoon (before I was married)movies, to kick back with a pizza and a drink, ahhhh the good ol' days!

S

StuBru

Enthusiast
Shawshank Redemption, but since it is always mentioned in such discussion threads, I'll go for Lola Rennt, German movie, about 1h20m, but it won't get you bored.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nearly. Mainly because I went in thinking it was going to be stupid.
Got it. I was pretty surprised that it was as good as it was too.

I blind bought Run Lola Run (Lola Rennt) on BD. It was a good flick, but I already sold it because it basically had no re-watch value. It was a very good concept. Equilibrium I've seen at least 10 times since I bought it and it doesn't get old.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
My favorite movie is the Kenneth Branagh version of Henry V.

I was taking English Lit in high school and just learning to really appreciate Shakespeare. Henry V blew me away and I haven't had that feeling while watching a movie since.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Wow only one passing mention for Kurosawa?!! How about LUCKY NUMBER SLEVIN that wasn't bad at all.
Slevin was pretty good but you get a different experience the second time around. It's more fun the first time.

There are some great Kurosawa films besides Rashomon. You mentioned The Seven Samauri which is a classic. Also, Yojimbo which became Sergio Leone's A Fist Full of Dollars but was originally adapted from Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest. The quasi-sequel Sanjuro was pretty fun, too. The Hidden Fortress inspired Star Wars. Those are the only films I am familiar with. I haven't seen any of the Shakespeare adaptations.

Jim

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Netflix was my gateway to Kurosawa, his work is amazing.

R

renegade87

Junior Audioholic
Saving Private Ryan

Although I too have many favorites across different genres, my standard answer to this question has to be "Saving Private Ryan".

For the way it presents sheer brutality of war (the Omaha Beach landing scene is beyond unforgettable). Historical accuracy (ever see another WWII movie that had actual Tiger Tanks in it?). And the incredible performances by Hanks and the rest of the all-star cast.

Saving Private Ryan is easily the best war movie ever made and IMO one of the best films ever made.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
Although I have several favorites, different ones for different moods, I guess the one that I would give this honor to is "The Fifth Element". How can you go wrong with it, awesome action, decent story, comedy (thank you for existing Chris Tucker), and some great visuals. I recently got this movie on BD and it looks even more amazing. Quality shout outs go to Baseketball and Army of Darkness, two great flicks I can watch anytime.

Mike

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Although I have several favorites, different ones for different moods, I guess the one that I would give this honor to is "The Fifth Element". How can you go wrong with it, awesome action, decent story, comedy (thank you for existing Chris Tucker), and some great visuals. I recently got this movie on BD and it looks even more amazing. Quality shout outs go to Baseketball and Army of Darkness, two great flicks I can watch anytime.

Mike
ARMY OF DARKNESS! I forgot how hilarious that movie was. Baseketball is another goody. I really wish Matt and Trey would do more movies, they're hilarious. cockbeer?

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I love Army of Darkness. When my laptop boots it says "See this? THIS is my BOOMSTICK"

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
#1) Lawrence of Arabia -- the DVD looks awful -- I hope the Blu-Ray can do the film justice
Which version on DVD do you mean? It has been released on DVD in at least 3 versions: a budget version, a deluxe "limited edition" version with a lot of extras, and a SuperBit version. The SuperBit is supposed to include some color correction not in the earlier versions. There may be other DVD versions that I don't know about. None of them, of course, will match a good 70mm print of the film (or even a good 35mm print, which would also be better than any Blu-Ray or HD-DVD could be).

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I can't just name one. I can name some of my favorites off the top of my head.

Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Fantastic Planet
Them!
The Thing from Another World
Rear Window
North by Northwest

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers