What is the resolution?

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
I need to know where I can find the native resolution for my Sony KP-46WT510. I've searched their site and it's nowhere to be found. It also not listed in the Manual, so I'm having to search elsewhere.

Also, what is the maximum resolution for a s-video cable??

Paul

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Resolution is a function of fixed pixel displays not CRT displays.

CRT displays have scan lines.

LCD, DLP, LCOS, DILA, PLASMA... Those are all fixed pixel display devices with one picture element (pixel) per color dot.

If you have ever seen a good CRT monitor you can feed it 1600x1200 resolution or 800x600 resolution and it looks phenomenal no matter what you send it.

Your TV is likely to display everything at 1080i which means it is using an interlaced pattern of about 1920x1080 pixels, though, it doesn't use pixels but a scanning tube to create the video. Look for more information on CRT technology and find out about how it operates at www.howstuffworks.com - they have an extensive write up of how televisions work.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
But I'm not sure my TV is a CRT. I actually have no idea what it uses.

The reason I'm asking is because I hooked my computer to it using an s-video cable. At 1024 X 768 everything was blurry. And when I increased the resolution, the sides and top got cut off but I could scroll to it. Or would that be a thing with my computer.

My comp also has a DVI out, and the TV has a DVI in, so maybe I'll try that.

Paul

PS, that funny how you referred me to howstuffworks.com That where I refer everyone to. :D

Paul

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
First, since you were kind enough to post the actual model number of your TV, I looked at the owners manual on Sony's website for your TV. It is a rear projection CRT utilizing 7 inch individual cathode ray tubes for red, green, and blue. Or, just a normal rear projection CRT. So, my info about on resoution w/CRT definitely applies to your set.

MORE IMPORTANTLY:

S-Video carries 480i signals only. It can't carry high resolution computer signals like you thought you were sending. So, instead of 1024x768 progressive, you sent it (more or less) 640x480 interlaced which is 480i. One of the lowest forms of video. Also, your PC had to change the resolution from 1024x768 to 480i which is a huge degradation in image quality.

DVI out to DVI in, if the TV actually accepts computer resolutions then that is definitely the way to go and you will see a big beautiful image. S-video or composite video outputs like are commonly found on VCRs, regular cable boxes, and camcorders can only carry 480i and represent the lowest form of video quality. I imaging what you saw looked like a piss-poor VHS tape on screen instead of a sharp computer image.

Your PC may have a resolution setting of 1080i (mine does) which when sent over the DVI cable should be 100% compatible with your TV and look razor sharp. It may also have 720p or 1280x720 which is the same as 720p - that should work as well.

The most important thing is to actually hook your PC up to the DVI or HDMI input on the TV. It actually looked like in the manual that you have a HDMI connector on the back of your TV. But, the owners manual shows that you can hook up to the HDMI input using a DVI to HDMI cable. Should be easy enough to try out and cost about 20 or 30 bucks for a cable.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Hey thanks for all you help man. You answered every question I have.

Yea, the S-Video connection piction was piss-poor.

The TV had DVI, not HDMI. DVI-D to be precise. I'll have to buy a DVI cable and try that out next.

Paul

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis