What is the length of a 50hz wave?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i know this sounds like an extremly random question but it isn't ive been doing alot of study on acoustics just so i can build my own bass traps, i need to know the length of one cycle at 50hz so i can decide how deep i need to build the panels.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
You can figure that out by dividing the speed of sound by the frequency. In feet per second that's about 1116.4 so a bit over 22 feet.

Jim

M

mochimon

Audiophyte
holy crap, i had to make an account just to respond to this thread.

a 50hz wave is 2 centimeters long. hertz = number of cycles in a meter. so a 50 hz wave is 1/50th of a meter.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooool jim b trollin

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
holy crap, i had to make an account just to respond to this thread.

a 50hz wave is 2 centimeters long. hertz = number of cycles in a meter. so a 50 hz wave is 1/50th of a meter.

Wavelength is always found by dividing the speed of light or sound, by the frequency (light or sound at a specific elevation- light is affected by atmosphere, too). For light, it's expressed as C-λ/f (Greek letter lambda/f) and for sound, a lower case 'c' is used. If the speed of transmission uses feet, miles, meters or other units, that particular unit should be used for the wavelength, too- e.g., if it's 1116.4 ft/sec, using meters for the result isn't usually a good idea.

H

harry121

Audiophyte
hi,i need help about my home theater room size .i have 16 fit width and 10 fit high room.please tell me what actual long room is technically right .help me soon because my room is under construction

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
hertz = number of cycles in a meter. so a 50 hz wave is 1/50th of a meter.
Just for the sake of accurate archives, the definition of hertz above is incorrect.
hertz=cycles per second.

PS - If you can figure out a way to slow the speed of sound down to one meter per second, then the original statement would work.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Just for the sake of accurate archives, the definition of hertz above is incorrect.
hertz=cycles per second.

PS - If you can figure out a way to slow the speed of sound down to one meter per second, then the original statement would work.
that would make my job alot easier :p

P

Paul Fisher

Audiophyte
Length of 50 hz

Hi all,

In responce to your question:

If you take the speed of sound @ sea level to be roughly 340 metres per second and you know that Hz is cycles per second. You would have 50 cycles over 340 metres.
So 340m divided by 50 cycles equals 6.8 metres (22.31 feet).
50hz = 6.8m, 60hz = 5.66, 70hz = 4.86 and so on.

Compact Bass Traps tend to work best in quarter cycles (1.7m)

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Hi all,

In responce to your question:

If you take the speed of sound @ sea level to be roughly 340 metres per second and you know that Hz is cycles per second. You would have 50 cycles over 340 metres.
So 340m divided by 50 cycles equals 6.8 metres (22.31 feet).
50hz = 6.8m, 60hz = 5.66, 70hz = 4.86 and so on.
I will quote this for being concise and not full of lunacy.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
What? Is that better than my answer because he used the metric system? I think I'll go have a Royale with Cheese. :D

Jim

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
What? Is that better than my answer because he used the metric system? I think I'll go have a Royale with Cheese. :D

Jim
Check out the big brain on Jim!! You're a smart mother$@#%er. That's right. The metric system.

(Pulp Fiction Quote, thanks for the lol Jim :D)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis