pure direct
direct
auto surround
standard

etc etc. on the pioneer receivers? what sound setting is the best for blu rays

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Well receiver manufacturers tend to use the same terms for the same feature.

Pure Direct usually means that the Video processing features are turned off and it is a pure path from input to ouput; ie no digital processing whatsoever (like bass management).

Direct is the same re no processing but Video feature and the display are not turned off.

Auto Surround simply means that the receiver will choose which decoder to use based on the format of the incoming signal; ie, if the incoming signao is DD 5.1 it will use the straight DD decoder. This is standard for all receivers.

'Standard' is a term used by Yamaha and means that it will use the standard decoder based on the incoming signal format as opposed to layering some other decoder on top of the standard one. So for example you can use to use the 'standard' DD 5.1 decoder or choose to apply a DSP mode like 'Sci-fi' or 'Adventure' on top of the standard decoder.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
pure direct Vs. direct

what sound setting is the best for blu rays
I think Pure Direct is absolutely no processing of anything--pure analog audio input and output to the amp section. No bass management, no DSP, no Video.

I think Direct still gives you bass management (subwoofer) & Video, but no DSP.

The best sound for blu-ray is LPCM, TrueHD, and DTS-MA.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I think Direct still gives you bass management (subwoofer) & Video, but no DSP.
On Denon receivers that's true because they pervert the idea of 'direct'. Bass management requires that the analog signal be converted to digital so it can be manipulated. On most receivers direct means just that - direct from the input to the amplifier with no manipulation at all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On Denon receivers that's true because they pervert the idea of 'direct'. Bass management requires that the analog signal be converted to digital so it can be manipulated. On most receivers direct means just that - direct from the input to the amplifier with no manipulation at all.
Ah, so employing bass management is not really "Direct".

I believe the Outlaw Audio 990 pre-pros also allows bass management in their "Direct" mode.

And I know that Harman Kardon AVR247 does NOT allow bass management in the "Direct" mode.

What about Onkyo?

Well, I guess as long as they have both a "PURE Direct" and a "Direct", it's okay. The PURE Direct has no bass management, but the Direct has bass management.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Awwww, the ol' Pure Direct and all the woofers I have blown in it....kind-of brings a smile to my face...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis