What is the best sub under $500

3way

Audiophyte
I am looking at a JBL 12 300watt RMS..Is there anything better for the money out there.The Receiver is a Onkyo 8522.With two 3way spaerkers with 12 inch woofers..I am looking only for a 12 inch powered sub at the mim of 300watts RMS.I am mainly using to listen to music some movies. OR is there any sub kits with amp that sound better then the JBL 12 with more power???? Please help me I am a newbie at this.
Thanks for looking and reading :)
3-way

PS I am not in to home theater set ups.. I am old school:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
X2 what Jonnythan said. Yeah, those two. :D

Saying you want a 12" sub with 300w is almost meaningless, because those specs don't guarantee you a good sub. If you are talking about JBL's mass market subs, then you really need to check out the offerings from the two above.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I am looking at a JBL 12 300watt RMS..Is there anything better for the money out there.The Receiver is a Onkyo 8522.With two 3way spaerkers with 12 inch woofers..I am looking only for a 12 inch powered sub at the mim of 300watts RMS.I am mainly using to listen to music some movies. OR is there any sub kits with amp that sound better then the JBL 12 with more power???? Please help me I am a newbie at this.
Thanks for looking and reading :)
3-way

PS I am not in to home theater set ups.. I am old school:D
Oh yea, get a kit.:D

http://www.parts express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-762

Close the gap after you paste link into browser.:)

This sub should be very good if you want a kit. It may be better than offerings from HSU and SVS in this price range, but cannot verify for a fact. I will say this though, it looks good on paper.:)

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
are we allowed to attach links from PE?:confused: If so, great more options to help out the membership.
I don't know.:confused: I should probably not do that anymore.:) I think I will edit that.

3way

Audiophyte
Yea I looked at that one from P.E. Like you said it looks good on paper,but about sound :confused: ..So Now I am really looking into the HSU VTF-2 MK3 sub. more so then the svsound sub.I don't know how good P.E. Speakers and etc are they anygood??:confused: Becouse I plan on building a pair of floor standing loudspeakers 3 way's to replace the old ones.

Thanxs for the reply's everone keep them comming please.
3-way

PS.. It's seem like a great place.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would imagine the P.E. is pretty good. But then again I have not heard it and cannot vouch for it. I am sure that someone will bump along here that has heard it and can offer some insight. I would almost guarantee it sounds better than the JBL that you looked at though.:D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The Titanic is a *very* good driver. Be aware that this enclosure is sealed, though, so you give up a good bit of low-end extension.

If you're feeling a little adventurous, pick up a kit from Rythmik Audio for $340:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/lt_prod.htm

You get a kickass 12" driver and a 350 watt amp with a custom Linkwitz transform circuit that lowers the extension of a sealed design down to about 20 Hz while maintaining good output. I've heard one of these subs and it's fantastic.

Shove it into an MDF box about 2 CF (you can get one from Parts Express for $140) and you have a little super easy DIY kit and a great sealed sub.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
are we allowed to attach links from PE?:confused: If so, great more options to help out the membership.
I can't find a rule of any sort prohibiting links to PE. The only apparent evidence is the word filter and some rumor. I see no reason not to post links or talk about them until the admins actually put a rule in place saying not to.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Yea I looked at that one from P.E. Like you said it looks good on paper,but about sound :confused: ..So Now I am really looking into the HSU VTF-2 MK3 sub. more so then the svsound sub.I don't
It would be hard to wrong with a VTF-2 MK3. I've had a VTF-2 for six years. Great sub.

Nick

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I can't find a rule of any sort prohibiting links to PE. The only apparent evidence is the word filter and some rumor. I see no reason not to post links or talk about them until the admins actually put a rule in place saying not to.
That's what I thought! However, I think there may have been some issues in the past with PE & AH which was brought to my attention:).

Billy p:)

I

in2xshp

Enthusiast
I have to put my 2 cents in here, i really don't think that you have to have a 300 watt sub for great sound. I have a Velodyne VRP 1200 and being a 130 rms sub it is room shaking no matter what you are listening to ar what kind of movie you are watching.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
I just got the HSU VTF 2.3 for $499 ... real hard to beat this sub for value. It is a very big sub though.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you don't mind doing some carpentry work, you can build a monster sub with a driver from TC Sounds (they build a lot of woofers for hi-fi companies, including SVS), a plate amp or Behringer EP1500 or EP2500 amp from Parts Express, and some sort of equalizer like the Behringer Feedback Destroyer. To help design your box, use WinISD.

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
I have a Velodyne VRP 1200 and being a 130 rms sub it is room shaking no matter what you are listening to or what kind of movie you are watching.
Now there is a subwoofer that is set way tooooooooo hot!!!! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis