What Is the best live show you've seen?

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
I've seen some super stadium-sized concerts--Jefferson Airplane and Fleetwood Mac, to name just two. Darn it, I didn't see an Airplane concert where Grace Slick pulled up her top.

For smaller venues, there are too many to name.

Some of you might have read about my classical music background in a couple threads, most recently in the "what 20 albums would you recommend that most people don't have" thread. I had a tenor friend invite me to one of his dress rehearsal nights. He was singing second lead in a big opera in a big city. He was years ahead of me and this was a year before he got a Met contract. He had a duet with a beautiful and sexy soprano, and, as they cuddled side-by-side on the front of the stage and sang, the director's staging called for my friend to put one arm around the soprano's shoulders a little way into the duet. The soprano was wearing a low-cut gown. My friend put his arm around her, cupping her left shoulder, per instructions. As the duet went on, my friend's left hand slid lower and lower, until it dipped well into the soprano's dress, cupping her left breast for all to see. Well, I say "for all to see," but only the conductor, the director, and a small number of other invited guests like me could see the goings-on in a big concert hall. The soprano didn't mind the grope in the least! LOL

Wanna know the kicker? The grope--and it was long and good--didn't effect either of their singing! Professionals all the way! LOL

Chris

Last edited:
B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Instead of best show, I have a favorite venue.

Variety Playhouse in Atlanta, its small (1500 or so people) and sounds delicious.

We have seen Peaches, Eagles of Death Metal, The Red Paintings, Dresden Dolls, and a 10 piece Elvis tribute there...all sounded fantastic!!

Next week we are going to see Peaches again at the same place.

My favorite band to see live is Ween.

RobertC

RobertC

Audiophyte
My brother and I went to a Biohazard/Sepultura/Pantera concert at the Palace of Auburn Hills. All the bands gave a great show and at one point members from all three were on stage at the same time rocking out a couple of songs. It was awesome, that's all I can say. I've been to a few good concerts since, most notably Elton John at the Palace, but none have come close to the experience of that heavy metal show.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
PHISH mark the hall germany --pure energy
Dave Grissman live oak fl-- technical
Govt Mule the fox atlanta ga---both

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
The Grateful Dead with The Band a Soldier Field
Rush at the Marcus Amphitheater

Also, I saw Motley Crue back in the early 90s and had more fun than I expected to. They put on a good show.

Jim

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Pink Floyd '94 - Texas Stadium
The Who '72 - Mississippi River Festival

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The Blasters @ B.B. Kings, NYC in 2002/2003

Their reunion tour. We had seats at a table in the front row and Phil Alvin's sweat was dripping on us as he shook all over and it was LOUD!!! Although he had (and still is) been doing gritty, western style acoustic stuff recently Dave Alvin is still a master on a rock electric guitar.

They didn't have their sax player who died years ago but everything else was in place. Some brass players from NRBQ sat in for a few songs. They didn't really know the songs but it was fun nonetheless.

When they did their thing (sans brass) they had all the moves down and they rocked unlike any other group I can recall. They didn't miss a beat and played like they've been playing together from day one.

All in all, a night we'll never forget, and our ears were ringing for days afterwards.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Roger Waters Berlin 1990
Pink Floyd 94 Giant Stadium I think it was in July.
All Pink Floyd and Roger Waters concerts.
First concert I ever went to was
Opening act:
Curved Air from England
Steppenwolf
Main act:
Deep Purple
In Savahna Georgia in 1972

Last edited:
pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
best concerts

wow. great thread....all these posts bring back memories, cause usally when a band tours they will play all of north america, so if one of you saw a band in florida etc , we all saw the same tour etc..

heres my top shows in no order ive seen about400 bands/concerts of every style..
U2 POPMART best concert end of the show, bono on stage by himself singing Hallelujah ... it started to rain , it was intense...they played two nights and the last note rings out on the second night it starts to rain, it was like they planned it...
YES...2 nights in a row. 90125 tour, they were filming the live concert that you can get on dvd now.
Eric Clapton w/Mark Knofler....one of those shows where every song is a hit and you go "i love this song" "i love this song"
Stevie Ray Vaughn . saw him twice..once right when texas flood came out, in a small club...he played all night , a bunch of hendrix tunes and when u thought he couldnt play any more , came out and sat on a stool and played "Lenny" awesome
the Blasters saw them twice ,,,again incredible show
Metallica saw them 4 times,,,the best , small hall doing master of puppets tour
David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, and the Tubes..serious moonlight tour
Motorhead..saw them at least 6 times love them...from opening for Ozzy on his crazy train tour w/ randy rhodes (front row..randy rhodes gave me the thumbs up sign while soloing right in front of me}
to headling huge arenas to just a couple of years ago in a small club...LOUD
Judas Priest screaming for vengence tour...best metal concert ever
Iron Maiden opening for the Scorpions w/ girlschool
number of the beast tour
Guns and Roses opening for the CULT in a small club....appetite was just coming out and i had never heard of the opening act.......and i thought wow these guys are like what the stones were probably like when they were young lol
ive seen so many types too from jazz to punk
Honorable mentions:
Allman Bros, Neil Young, Sabbath, ZZ top, Albert King,Los Lobos,Alice Cooper.
NoMeansNo,George Thorogood,Robert Plant,Big Sugar,Jethro Tull,Pat Travers, David Wilcox,Tony Williams, Jack Dejohnette etc..seen lots of bands more than once and some as many as 6/7times...
the last few good ones ive seen
Gomez
Systems of a Down w/Mars Volta
Black Mountain
WEEN

Cheers

Last edited:
mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
two particular Pearl Jam concerts

Both in KC, the first opened with Release with a huge full moon slowly rising over the stage, the effect was mezmerizing. The second was their next show in KC, there was lightning streaking through the skies the entire show and everyone was freezing and soaked to the bone. McCready even wiped out whilst performing the solo in Even Flow. That was pretty awesome too.

In both cases, you take one of the best live acts and witness some cool backdrops thanks to Mother Nature, and you have something to behold.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Genesis Live 1973 - (Foxtrot tour? played Suppers Ready and Watcher of the Skies among others.)

Genesis Live 1974 - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour.

pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
I'm impressed! Cobham was the drummer, both Randy and Michael Brecker for trumpet and tenor sax, Dave Sanborn on Alto, and Will Lee on bass. I don't remember the rest of the band so I will look it up when I get home from work.
AH, those were the days!
d.b.
sounds llke one of the best bands ever...FYI...amazon has the Dreams cd or LP for $149 lol

beachboys1

Audiophyte
Best Concert Ever

I attended many indoor and outdoor concerts back in the 70's and 80's. My favorites are the Beach Boys together with Chicago, another with the Doobie Brothers, and an outdoor concert in Pittsburgh back in 1975 with The Steve Miller Band. I agree the ELO/Foreigner/Journey all day outdoor concert in Cleveland in '78 was fantastic with the spaceship and lasers. I was also backstage for an early Billy Joel concert at Rec Hall Penn State back in '76. He played 4 enocores that night in a packed hall.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis