What is the best audio system arrangement for kids room?

A

audiohonic65

Audioholic
I have a 6 year old daughter and she is really fond of music. She has her own choices and wants to listen and dance to the music she likes. That's her favorite time pass.

I need some suggestions for getting the right kind of an audio device for her. I thought of buying an iPod for her. But I am not sure whether using headphones is a good idea for kids or no.

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks!

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
i think an ipod is a great idea... the new nano looks really cool... there are many many speaker/docking stations available... i think there is one or two for about every budget...

personally, i would love to have an ipod touch and a tube amp... :)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
personally, i would love to have an ipod touch and a tube amp... :)
The 30W can be had off ebay for like $450; but I have to say I think "vacuum tube" + "6-year-old" = "bad things"

Perhaps an arrangement more rugged?

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
I have to say I think "vacuum tube" + "6-year-old" = "bad things"

Perhaps an arrangement more rugged?
you never know... it might teach her about quality audio gear.. dunno...

like i said there are docks for about every price range for ipods... ive even seen these monster things at lowes/home depot that charge cordless drill batts and are also ipod dock/radios designed for the job site... lol

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Actually: depending on what he came back with for a budget, I was going to recommend in-wall or in-celing speakers (they usually have metal grills and can easily be placed out of reach).

In an AVR (if that's the route taken) I would *heavily* advise choosing one that lets you set a max-volume in the setup. You definately don't want her damaging her hearing.

But that assumes this is a question about a component system. Companies like Disney and Fisher-Price make any number of kid-resistant audio players.

Without more information, it's impossible to expect a recommendation to fall in line with what has been envisioned.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might look on craigslist for some of those older speakers with the huge cabinets, you know, the kind with 15" woofers. I see a lot of big old Pioneer and Technics and Fisher speakers going for like $50 or $100, often with a receiver. What I would do is give them to her, tell her they are hers and how to take care of them, and she will be blown away by speakers bigger than she is. Than get her a used CD player or Discman, and show her how to use it. Altogether it shouldn't cost that much.

I wouldn't worry about her turning it up too loud. Kid's hearing is more sensitive than adults, so loud volumes will be more painful to her than it will be to you, and she will act accordingly. Something you can do to keep that in check is get an older, low-wattage receiver. I see them all the time in craigslist and ebay for 30 or 40 dollars. Here is a pic of the kind of speakers you might consider, and I wouldn't pay a lot for them:

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
For a 6 year old. I would look into something that she could be a little rough with. Even if kids know what they are doing they have a tendency to mash on buttons every now and then so something she can beet up would be good. In a few years get her something a bit nicer.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't worry about her turning it up too loud. Kid's hearing is more sensitive than adults, so loud volumes will be more painful to her than it will be to you, and she will act accordingly.
Right, because no 6-year old will ever turn up the dial by accident before turning the unit on, or before the speaker kicks in (thinking its quiet) or after accidentally switching the speakers off, or during a silent moment in a song?

I'm not concerned that she'll turn it to dangerous levels deliberately... though that's a possability too.

Something you can do to keep that in check is get an older, low-wattage receiver. I see them all the time in craigslist and ebay for 30 or 40 dollars.
A good way to blow speakers, but not a good way to keep them quiet. :(

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
I can't imagine spending more that $50-100 on a system for a six year old. I agree with the fisher price idea. I think they have the "My first radio" etc. collection for kids.

Seems like a component system that is located in a kids room would definitely get damaged. Kids like to touch and poke woofers for example (I know I pressed on my dad's woofers as a kid), and might put their finger trough it depending on the material. Also, if they get curious about the wiring, they might get a nice shock (I've been there, and it's not pleasant).

I just can;t imagine a 6 yr old appreciating or even being aware of any differences between a $50 stereo, or a $500 stereo. If for some reason you decide to spend a chunk of money on this, then the in-wall, in-ceiling speakers are probably a good idea.

Fyi...iPods do have the ability to set the max volume so that it cannot go above a certain volume.

B

Bigfishe

Junior Audioholic
We bought our Daughter (5) a newer Nano for Xmas last year, she loves it.
along with it we bought one of those cheap Hannah Montana Docks for it that has a guitar and Mic input, She loves mic. She sings and dances to her hearts content for hours on in.

She Appreciates the Nano, and understands that she must take care of it.
Didn't even have to tell her, and she wanted to get her own case for it.

to this day still looks brand new.

we also bought her some kid friendly headphones, and have put a max volume lock setting on the Ipod nano, so we don't have to worry about her ears.

Go Ipod....Expose your kids to Tech as much as you can. just makes it that much easier for them.

Then again before we had our harmony remotes, she would show her mom how to set the receiver, BluRay and TV up for playing a movie.....

We let her buy 20 songs a month that she marks off on a chart, that she earns them week to week for doing her "duties" Best investment we've made. Teaches her responsibility, and if you want things you value you have to work for them.

The dock has been pretty durable, only thing we really make sure we watch her on is when she try's to seat it in the dock. If she doesn't get it the first time she's really good about asking for help.

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
For a 6 year old. I would look into something that she could be a little rough with. Even if kids know what they are doing they have a tendency to mash on buttons every now and then so something she can beet up would be good. In a few years get her something a bit nicer.
Totally agree here! Don't spend too much on something that she break within a short period just from being a 6 year old kid.

Get her a mp3/ipod player that has a docking station with speakers. YOU load her music on it, and she can play it in her station. If it ends up broken, you won't be too pissed since you haven't spent a whole lot of money on it.

Will it be HiFi, no, but this will give her a start in music, and as she gets older & understands the concept of expensive & responsibility you can upgrade to a more adult better sounding system that she will truly appreciate the difference in the sound.

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Get her a mp3/ipod player that has a docking station with speakers. YOU load her music on it, and she can play it in her station. If it ends up broken, you won't be too pissed since you haven't spent a whole lot of money on it.

Will it be HiFi, no, but this will give her a start in music, and as she gets older & understands the concept of expensive & responsibility you can upgrade to a more adult better sounding system that she will truly appreciate the difference in the sound.

i totally agree, you can get mp3 players now for not much money... its not like a 6 y/o needs a 60gig ipod... i am willing to say a 1-2 gig player would be fine... and i am sure if you get on craigslist you might be able to find one for under 20 bucks...

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
Cd's in a 6yr olds hands will have greasy fingerprints all over them in short order.:D:eek:Many good alternatives for non cd players.;)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It may be a bit off, but we use AppleTV in my home and my 5 year old will spend hours going through videos, music, and Internet streams just looking at various things. He finds it easy to use and it is tied into our home system, but specifically the lcd in the playroom.

Kids tend to be pretty understanding of volume when they see the bar right on the TV and the simple menu structure combined with an easy to use remote makes it very kid friendly.

Plus, he isn't TOUCHING the TV or the AppleTV, just the remotes, which are far more durable. I expect to get years and years of use out of the source components.

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
I was thinking more about whats the best audio solution for a youngster...

I think a mp3 player is still your best bet... heck you can probably find a used ipod shuffle cheap, then you dont have to worry about a screen to get broken.

The big reason why i like the mp3 idea is because she as at the age when a mp3 player would keep her happy on long car/plane rides.... maybey even look into a psp then she could do movies and gut that would be $200 plus after you buy a memory card big enough for music and a speaker dock.

Just my .02c

A

audiohonic65

Audioholic
Thank you all for providing me these info, I think I will go for a nano :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis