What is Progressive Scan?

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hey there! I`ve been looking for some tech info about DVD players and found out some main diferences between some like the Progressive Scan and 27/54Mhz features.

Does anyone knows where can I find this info so I can compare the pros and cons?

Thanks for any input!

UNex.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Progressive scan basically means 'deinterlacing.&quot;  The picture used by the NTSC standare (ie. regular TV) is 'interlaced', meaning every odd line is drawn, followed by every even.  The fact that the picture looks like a continuous one is due to the phenomenon called persistance of vision.  During scenes with a lot of motion the technique of interlacing introduces artifacts that detract from the picture quality (eg, jaggies, moire, stairstepping, etc.)

Prog scan basically compensates for this by deinterlacing the image and drawing the whole picture all at once.  This creates a much more stable image, especially where motion is concerned.

That's the best definition I can muster; I'm not an engineer, just a regular guy!</font>

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>It will do! Thanks!</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>54Mhz uses 2x oversampling of the video signal. This will interpolate some values of the digital stream so that the filter design can be relaxed in the DAC. Generally it results in better performance.</font>

A

audiohonic65

Audioholic
In Progressive scan the image is displayed on the screen by scanning each line also called as row of pixels in a sequential order. While in Interlaced it happens in an alternate order. The image lines or pixel rows are scanned in numerical order (1,2,3) down the screen from top to bottom in progressive scan. And in interlaced scan the order is alternate lines or rows 1,3,5, etc... followed by lines or rows 2,4,6.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You pretty much won't find a player these days that isn't progressive scan, and it is far enough along in terms of the technology that most players are good at it these days that you don't need to worry about it. Back when progressive was a new thing, there was a wide range in the capabilities of players, as well as the fact that there are a few common issues that plauge players that are not good at handling certain aspects of progressive scan.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
In Progressive scan the image is displayed on the screen by scanning each line also called as row of pixels in a sequential order. While in Interlaced it happens in an alternate order. The image lines or pixel rows are scanned in numerical order (1,2,3) down the screen from top to bottom in progressive scan. And in interlaced scan the order is alternate lines or rows 1,3,5, etc... followed by lines or rows 2,4,6.
I hope you realize that you just resurrected a 6 year old post?:eek: The poster may be long gone.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I hope you realize that you just resurrected a 6 year old post?:eek: The poster may be long gone.
D'oh. I did not even catch that. I thought it was kind of an odd and unlikely question, but didn't look at the dates.

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
The advantages In the case of most media such as DVD movies, and video games, the video is blurred during the authoring process itself to mask flicker artifacts when used on interlace displays.
As a consequence, recovering the sharpness of the original video is impossible when the video is viewed progressively.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
<font color='#000000'>54Mhz uses 2x oversampling of the video signal. This will interpolate some values of the digital stream so that the filter design can be relaxed in the DAC. Generally it results in better performance.</font>
Outside of the US and Japan, yes. Here, we use 30 frames/sec and 60 fields/sec.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis