What is largest "decent" quality TV under $2000

J

juan_j

Audiophyte
I'm looking to upgrade my TV from a 42 inch vizio 1080p.

I'm looking for a 65inch plus for under $2000 (the less the better).

I mainly use it to watch DVDs and 480p+ TV.

Any thoughts and or recommendations?

I haven't gotten into 3D yet, not really a criteria but a nice to have...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
At that size, if I wanted quality, this is what I would get only:

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA TC-P65ST50 65-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV: Electronics

It's a couple hundred over budget, but it is the one which does what you are asking. Very high quality, long term reliability, and a great image for the money. None better in my experience.

Under $2,000 I don't think you truly have any 'decent' displays available. They are all pretty weak. Vizio offers a couple and if you are into Vizio, then they are still the best of the 'cheap' brands in my opinion - but it won't be close to the Panasonic.

D

dawgincontrol

Audiophyte
The most size for the buck are the Mitsubishi DLP's. I got an 80 inch for less than $1300 on sale. Love it and it does 3D.

If you go this way, I'll give you info on a table/stand for it that looks great and is less than $100.

J

juan_j

Audiophyte

It's a couple hundred over budget, but it is the one which does what you are asking. Very high quality, long term reliability, and a great image for the money. None better in my experience.

Under $2,000 I don't think you truly have any 'decent' displays available. They are all pretty weak. Vizio offers a couple and if you are into Vizio, then they are still the best of the 'cheap' brands in my opinion - but it won't be close to the Panasonic.
Thanks, I checked out the GT50 at best buy today. I really liked it, but I'm concerned about the heat a plasma gives off and the weight for transportation. I looked at the 60" version which was $2k.

I also saw the samsung plasma which also gets good reviews....

amazon.com/Samsung-PN60E7000-60-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B0077T1M0Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355792994&sr=1-3&keywords=PN51E7000]Amazon.com: Samsung PN60E7000 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3D Ultra Slim Plasma HDTV (Black): Electronics

If I decide NOT to go for plasma (I know, I'd give up refresh rates, and contrast) Would you go a Sony 850 (55")

amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL55HX850-55-Inch-Internet/dp/B006U1VGNS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355790666&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+55inch+led+tv+850]Amazon.com: Sony BRAVIA KDL55HX850 55-Inch 240Hz 1080p 3D LED Internet TV, Black: Electronics

J

juan_j

Audiophyte
The most size for the buck are the Mitsubishi DLP's. I got an 80 inch for less than $1300 on sale. Love it and it does 3D.

If you go this way, I'll give you info on a table/stand for it that looks great and is less than $100.
I should have specified that I'm limited on space...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA TC-P65ST50 65-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV: Electronics

I concur with 65ST50 - it's a great TV, at-least I can personally vouch for image quality of 55ST30 (which 2011 model in same series)
I think it's current price $2250 is a bit too heavy, compared to TC-P65GT50 which sells at $2500.. I think it's worth waiting a bit a I can guarantee you can get 65ST50 at/or lower than 2k... It's worth to wait. I got my 55ST30 for $980 after they started shipping 2012 models.

https://www.decide.com/search?q=Panasonic VIERA TC-P65ST50

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Samsung E7000 series is excellent. I actually had a D7000 64" plasma from them and I am very satisfied with the model. The heat that it gives off is there, but really isn't something I've ever noticed unless I'm standing a foot away from it. In the Winter it helps to keep things warm, but in the summer it costs me a bit more to cool the house... So, I guess it balances out.

For long term reliability, I think the Panasonic ST series is better than Samsung, but I think for the image quality, the E7000 may be a bit better than the Panny.

I have no real statement about the Sony. I would need to see it and read some reviews. The general word is always the same that LCD displays can look nice, but they won't be as good as plasma for image quality, and the better LED/LCD displays almost always carry a pretty significant pricing premium to get that quality look. So, I wouldn't expect as much image quality from the Sony for sure, but they do deliver a well built piece of hardware.

I would not consider DLP. Even less since it seems that Mits. is getting out of that business.

J

juan_j

Audiophyte
What does everyone think of the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60UT50?

60inch plasma with similar specs to above Panasonic's but without the true black or apps?

Only $1299....

i.e. is it worth spending the extra $?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What does everyone think of the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60UT50?

60inch plasma with similar specs to above Panasonic's but without the true black or apps?

Only $1299....

i.e. is it worth spending the extra $?
Stay away I've heard bad things about those UT sets. I'd stick with VT30/50, GT or ST series. Next year I'm going for anyone of those in 50 or 55 inch If I get a good deal.:)

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I'd go all out, 80" $1900
I have a similar model at home. It's 82" not 80". :p

It does require a bit of floor space, but I have a TX great room.

Juan, what's the biggest you can go? You seem to be afraid to go bigger than 60"?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis