What is best Front Projector??

R

raminolta

Audiophyte
If you need lens shift then, Optoma HD7100among the DLP projectors is to consider and can be bought for $2000 nowadays.

Ramin

Stormwolf said:
I have read that there is no lense shift with the HD70, is this a big problem for setup? I rather not use the keystone correction, from what i have read and seen it is not wise to use it. (I would mount the HD70 from the ceiling if I get it) The most likely screen size I will get is 106".

My theater room is almost complete so already working on wife with projector purchase haha :)

Any other projectors you guys think I should check out at a decent price?

action

action

Audiophyte
Projector hunter

Glad to see this thread! Without much research, I have learned over the past few days Optoma has made some big leaps into the affordable projector arena recently. It's been a few days, but the HD70 as mentioned in this article must be a good buy, but I was alerted to the HD7100 last week and then the HD8100 this week. I can't remember all the details, but one needed a long throw...about 20'....

My question as I hunt for my first projector is: Mulitple HDMI inputs? I think this is why I liked the Optoma HD8100. I have to check the site to make sure on these details but it seems like hardly any projectors are offering multiple inputs...much less HDMI? Why is this? I think it's common for theater buffs to have the basic HDMI connections:
* HD Sat with HDMI
* HD DVD/BRD or higher end DVD players like my Denon 5900
* New Gaming systems 360/PS3 or previous gen systems
* SACD/DVD-A/DTS DVD audio players
* TV with HDMI output?

Writing all this brings up another of my questions: Is there a receiver out there with just the latest input options and device connections? I always feel like there would be a substantial cost savings if I could buy a receiver with only the most recent connection devices and inputs....therefore....leave off tape, phono, vcr devices and inputs like rca, s-video, and now component and DVI. Maybe I should make a receiver with just the basics mentioned above with only HDMI connections? (Sorry, will post new thread for this paragraph===="No more redundancy" under general topic section)

L

Lou223

Audiophyte
Optoma HD70 keeps on popping up

I just read the last thread and the Optoma HD70 seems like the new hot item for projectors. If you don't mind, I would like to request help and in turn the answers may be helpful to the original thread. After Clints review and several other reviews I went to pick up my HD70 but when I entered the store the Sony Cineza HS51A was listed for the same price.

Optoma HD70 - Sony Cineza HS51A
720p 720p
1000 lumens 1200 lumens
4000:1 c/r 10,000:1 c/r
DLP 3 LCD

Please help me make a decision. The Optoma seems like the right choice because it's a year newer but the Sony was originally posted for $4000 so that leads me to believe that it might be a better projector. Of course, more expensive is not always better. I hope this also helps the original posting. Many thanks for your time.

action

action

Audiophyte
Lou223,

Great topic question. Let me know what you find out? I will watch this thread as I am in the same position if I am not waiting for HDMI 1.3.

My local theater dealer said he still has the previous $10,000 Sony projector in stock. With the new projector from Sony released, he says the specs are about the same so he would price match the in stock unit. Imagine a $10,000 projector last week you could get for $3895 today?

R

RelievedSimplet

Enthusiast
Hi,
I was recently looking to buy a 720p projector as well. I was mainly looking at the Optoma HD70 as well as the Mitsubishi HD1000U. I went to Best Buy and demo'ed the HD70 there. To be honest I wasn't that impressed and it was in a 100% dark room. This led me to searching around a little more and I found the Mitsubishi HD1000U. This projector has a $1,500 or $1,600 MSRP. Until the end of the year however it can be found most places for around $1,000 and as low as $900. This projector is also one that you will have to download a calculator for to see if it will fit in your room beforehand as it doesn't have lens shift either. I must say though, I got to demo a HD1000U and a HD70 side by side at a local AV store that had them both setup and calibrated correctly (unlike at Best Buy). The HD1000U seemed to have darker black levels to me as well as just having an overall better image. I would personally recommend trying to find a local AV store and asking to see a couple different projectors side by side. Most of the bigger stores won't mind doing it for you though some smaller stores may not have the staff/budget to be able to do so. Just my 2 cents as I was just in the same position as you and my HD1000U will be here either today or tomorrow.

Edit:
Here is the link for the projector.
And this is the calculator that Mitsubishi provides. Be sure to select the HD1000 from the projector list as I went through and figured out the whole setup only to find out I had the wrong projector selected. :D

Last edited:
apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
well if you can spend 700-800 more you can get 1080p now with the pearl with recent price cuts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis