What interests you?

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
I agree with the limitations, of which actually having a space that you want to fill with the same SPL as the home theater is probably the biggest. But when we are analyzing rotary subs, drivers in excess of $500 ea, and subwoofers in excess of $3k it is something that should be considered. If you have a space that would work and decent budget drivers (those 18"s are roughly $200 ea), I believe the pros could outweigh the cons. But this also why I modified a ported sub as my next upgrade, I am afraid of messing with IB for the issue of how it will affect the rest of the house. Also, the driver will play lower than the fs but will likely lose composure and risks hitting mechanical xmax.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I agree with the limitations, of which actually having a space that you want to fill with the same SPL as the home theater is probably the biggest. But when we are analyzing rotary subs, drivers in excess of $500 ea, and subwoofers in excess of $30 it is something that should be considered. If you have a space that would work and decent budget drivers (those 18"s are roughly $200 ea), I believe the pros could outweigh the cons. But this also why I modified a ported sub as my next upgrade, I am afraid of messing with IB for the issue of how it will affect the rest of the house. Also, the driver will play lower than the fs but will likely lose composure and risks hitting mechanical xmax.
If you don't want to be replacing drivers, you don't want to drive below FS. In addition you will be using low Q drivers, and you absolutely do not want to drive them though Fs, the sound is horrid. You can only attempt to drive low Qts drivers below Fs, and that means Qts of 0.3 or less.

For an IB you need a high pass filter about 5 Hz above Fs at 12 db per octave.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep, you inspired me, sort of. I hadn't heard of CSS before you said you were going to build an SDX10 kit. Thanks for showing me the path.
Oh cool! Yeah I emailed them back and forth a couple times, but I just bought a rather expensive bicycle, so the sub is on the back burner at the moment...

Either way cool build, looking forward to the day I can do mine.

SheepStar

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
Holy crap you're still around?! I miss Mule too. Does he still post anywhere?SheepStar
yep...still hangin on brother

pop in and outa here every so often...

exchanged pm's with mule not long after he left here...haven't heard from him in a while now...

so how you been...?

not playin jack johnson songs anymore are ya...?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
yep...still hangin on brother

pop in and outa here every so often...

exchanged pm's with mule not long after he left here...haven't heard from him in a while now...

so how you been...?

not playin jack johnson songs anymore are ya...?
Ohh, looks like someone searched their post history.

No, I don't listen to Jack Johnson... I don't like him much, or banana pancakes for that matter. I'm moving again, this time with a freshly built 7.2 theater (only 7.1 until I built my new sub). How you been, still cracking well placed one liners?

SheepStar

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
ahhh, the joy of the well-placed one-liner...!

you know for some reason i remembered that jack johnson episode...scares me a little

that was way back when...you had just built a riser for yer room... inspired me to build one of my own. still serves me well (i did add a buttkicker LFE...nice!)

congrats on the new digs...nice to see the theater evolve!

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Are you still in Canada? Where abouts? BC? If so, wanna grab a Beer? I do.
I will keep that in mind next time I am over that way (don't hold your breath waiting). I am currently residing in Ontario. :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
ahhh, the joy of the well-placed one-liner...!

you know for some reason i remembered that jack johnson episode...scares me a little

that was way back when...you had just built a riser for yer room... inspired me to build one of my own. still serves me well (i did add a buttkicker LFE...nice!)

congrats on the new digs...nice to see the theater evolve!
I'll have photos up once it's done, wouldn't want to be a tease (my sweat pants say "sperm dumpster" across the ass).

Yeah the riser served it's purpose until I moved the first time. I want a setup like that again but it'll have to wait as becoming a homeowner in Vancouver is like winning the lottery, except I'm not asian, so it'll never happen.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I will keep that in mind next time I am over that way (don't hold your breath waiting). I am currently residing in Ontario. :D
Oh, yeah. Our paths might not cross. Sokay though, we don't want you folk round here anyway.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What??????
T'was a joke. My new system is up to 9.1 now, room still needs a few trimmings before I start putting up photos.

I'm getting clsoe to building my creative sounds subwoofer. Think of my design like the PB-1000 but with 2 2inch ports. 2.4 cu. ft. net volume with the BASH 300watt amp. Should dig to 20hz in room no problem, with below threshold vent mach.

SheepStar

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I wanted dual JL Audio Gotham G213 in my room, but then a little voice said, dual SB13-U should suffice in your 2 channel room. ;-)

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I am interested in removing the twin kappa build , the dcx 2496 and the behringer amp then adding two smaller subs with enough bass that will not make me regret the change, I like the simplicity of all in one unit, already ran two new 20 amp circuit to front wall giving me three total. I want the subs inside of the towers right under the flat panel and towers to the outside so I can free up the corners, the kappas are to big to go under the flat panel hence they sit outside of the towers.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I am interested in removing the twin kappa build , the dcx 2496 and the behringer amp then adding two smaller subs with enough bass that will not make me regret the change, I like the simplicity of all in one unit, already ran two new 20 amp circuit to front wall giving me three total. I want the subs inside of the towers right under the flat panel and towers to the outside so I can free up the corners, the kappas are to big to go under the flat panel hence they sit outside of the towers.
It's a nice look, but I've found the acoustic presentation is lacking with 2 subwoofers on either main. If you have 2 subwoofer,s opposing corners/mid wall seem to be the best for uniformity in my space. 4 Velodyne SPLs would be bitchin though...

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I just realized I haven't shown you guys any photos on the new 9.1 (7.1, cause my amp can't power 9 channels at the same time). It's still under construction (trims, base boards, and the ethernet wiring not complete), but maybe I'll see if I can't get some shots together.

SheepStar

S

Scarfinger

Enthusiast
I recently purchased my first real subwoofer. I thought I would put my thought process down. I ended up buying the safe one (non-baby eater). After I have my way with the safe one (stf-2) I may look around for something more crazy... bat-sht crazy baby eater style. But for now I when all safe and cozy.

I bought a HSU stf-2 today. Fall sale: 329 + shipping = $375.00
Main use will be HT and some music

1 STF-2 Powered
Subwoofer -
Black
$329.00
Subtotal: $329.00
Shipping: $46.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $375.00

My first real subwoofer. After many hours of reading up on subs and going back and forth from HSU stf-2, vtf-1, vtf-2, Rythmic lv12R, PB-1000.

It finally came down to size, looks and price:

PB-1000: was 1 inch wider and I also didn't like the front screen, also $500 for a couple lower decibels
-I did like the warranty and almost bought this one and then changed my mind

Rythmic lv12R: was to expensive $630 shipped and 2 inches wider.

vtf-2: was too deep (23") and too expensive and I wasn't sure if the finish would be to shiny, also it weighs 80 lbs , ouch my back!

**vtf-1: I decided I didn't need the extra flexibility of 2 ports... and if I didn't need that, then...

the STF-2 was the right price, right size, and I liked how it looked. Kind of an unassuming box. I like the idea of it not looking like a speaker so much. At least to me it doesn't look like a speaker. I know, I know...it isn't a speaker... it's a subwoofer. My first real subwoofer :)

Special thanks to "
ImcLoud" and all who posted in my original thread

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Glad you're enjoying the new unit!

It's funny, most people sit on here screaming at each other about the minute differences between subwoofers, "this one has 1.4 dB more then that!", but most people just don't have the lifestyles that allow them to crank it up whenever they want. I know I'll be living in apartments for a good chunk of the foreseeable future, so giant, earth shattering subs really have no place with me. They're too big, too loud, and I will never get to enjoy it. I'm going to build up my Creative Sound 10 inch, but that still won't be much bigger then a 12 inch unit from futureshop or best buy.

I shouldn't say most of us, but rather not all of us. I know there is some people on here with no limitations, and I think I speak for everyone else when I say

"We're living vicariously through you, don't disappoint us"

SheepStar

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Special thanks to "ImcLoud" and all who posted in my original thread
you are very welcome, bud... I have never recommended an HSU product that the end user didn't love, just another notch for HSU.. I know I love mine... Enjoy it...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis