What interests you?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I feel like I hijacked this thread. My appologies to Sheep. :)
Trust me dude, I had it coming.

To quote your previous comment...

I have always said that smaller drivers hit harder and provide cleaner bass, but can't go as low (single driver vs. single driver) as a large sub. Not being a subwoofer guru, that is probably skewed. Just my experience. I see your point on acting as one driver.
Go to a concert (A band you like obviously) but at a good venue known for good sound. Go stand up front on the floor, and if possible, wander over to the bass bins. You will never think small drivers hit harder ever again. I haven't been to many concerts in my life, but I did see Linkin Park right after Meteora released, and the track Lyring From You has a fairly low bass hit around the 0:06 mark. They FILLED, to the BRIM, the entire stadium with bass using their system they were running (wasn't old enough to look at what brand, sorry). You don't get that without displacement. And I know reinforcement type speakers are made differently using heavy drivers and thousands of watts, but you won't find a pro subwoofer with anything smaller then a 10, and even those are mainly for restaurants (and don't you say bose!). So yeah, I know it's easy to say larger drivers are slow, but a larger drive doesn't need to move as far to make the same about of bass (excite as much air) as a smaller cone, so that should also help.

Good discussion guys!

SheepStar

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
SDX-10 is a great little sub. I went sealed with mine because of the small form factor I could get with it and I love how it performs. I'd like to add another for a 2.2 setup with them. Possibly even running them in stereo under each bookshelf.
Yeah, they are located where I live (BC) so I'll be able to go there and check everything out. Should have it ordered fairly soon.

SheepStar

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, they are located where I live (BC) so I'll be able to go there and check everything out. Should have it ordered fairly soon.

SheepStar
You won't be disappointed. Very impressive driver.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You won't be disappointed. Very impressive driver.
I remember you having like... negative a billion reputation. Good to see things turned around, you posts always seem helpful and positive.

How I got here, no one knows.

SheepStar

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I remember you having like... negative a billion reputation. Good to see things turned around, you posts always seem helpful and positive.

How I got here, no one knows.

SheepStar
I think you're confusing me with someone else :p I don't think I ever dipped into the negs, not that I didn't backtrack a little for awhile there, but I'm pretty sure I avoided reds AFAIK. Then again, I could've hit red and gotten bumped back into green whilst I was logged off. Who knows what goes on around here when I (or anyone) is logged off. :D I shudder to think what Adam does when he thinks no one else is around :eek:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The Audiokinesis SWARM.

Such an elegant solution...

...which I have no use for.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I think you're confusing me with someone else :p I don't think I ever dipped into the negs, not that I didn't backtrack a little for awhile there, but I'm pretty sure I avoided reds AFAIK. Then again, I could've hit red and gotten bumped back into green whilst I was logged off. Who knows what goes on around here when I (or anyone) is logged off. :D I shudder to think what Adam does when he thinks no one else is around :eek:
My bad, maybe it was shadyj or something like that. Someone had a lot of bad rep but was still posting decent advice.

SheepStar

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My bad, maybe it was shadyj or something like that. Someone had a lot of bad rep but was still posting decent advice.

SheepStar
Probably shady. He's still pretty red :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
May be my solution of no sub is the most insane of all!
Having surrounds that dip to what, 30 or 40 Hertz? That's what my mains do. :D

Sheep, I know you said that DIY wasn't the next step for you but speaking to the thread title I have to say something about the JL Audio 8W7. TLS has an alignment for it and I am unable to get it out of my head. He provided me with an alignment for a couple of JBL subs that sounds very good to me. I wonder what an alignment from him would sound like with a $500 driver. Of course there's no point having one so it's a grand to get in that game.

The small(ish) form factor and decent below 30 Hz capabilities are about all it takes for me because of the condo dweller status. One of the best parts of DIY for me is coming up with a 'look'. Then if it works there's the attaboys. Anyways, that's what interests me.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Having surrounds that dip to what, 30 or 40 Hertz? That's what my mains do. :D

Sheep, I know you said that DIY wasn't the next step for you but speaking to the thread title I have to say something about the JL Audio 8W7. TLS has an alignment for it and I am unable to get it out of my head. He provided me with an alignment for a couple of JBL subs that sounds very good to me. I wonder what an alignment from him would sound like with a $500 driver. Of course there's no point having one so it's a grand to get in that game.

The small(ish) form factor and decent below 30 Hz capabilities are about all it takes for me because of the condo dweller status. One of the best parts of DIY for me is coming up with a 'look'. Then if it works there's the attaboys. Anyways, that's what interests me.
Oh I am actually going to order a Creative Sound Solutions SXD-10 kit and build a box for that. I have had 2 12 inch long 2 inch daimeter ports for at least 5 years doing nothing. I wanted to use them for a Kappa 12 but they're just too restrictive. They model well with the 10 inch CSS driver so I'm building it up hopefully before fall (need brothers help, and he's pretty busy ATM). CSS is located right where I live so I'm going to make an appointment to check it out and order the kit. I am also toying with the idea of ordering one their speaker kits to replace my fronts (and use them as rears).

SheepStar

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
That question is, what subwoofer interests you?
Hello Sheep. I remember you from the old days (2005 when I first joined). You were pretty active even back then. :)

When I purchased my first serious (all relative I know) setup I went with what at that time was a decent amount of cash for a Klipsch/Paragim 7.1 + Yamaha receiver setup for just over $5k. The sub at that time was the Paradigm PW-2100. There might even still be a post about that setup on here somewhere. Foudn it. :D

Not long after that I wanted more of everything. Speakers, sub, amps, etc.

It was suggested that I look at SVS and HSU for price. I just wasn't thrilled about mail orders though. That put those two out of my reach. But there was something a lot close to home that called out to me. The Paradigm Servo 15. It was a beast. Huge power supply. Massive driver. Sealed. It had Servo in the name. :D It was a hard battle to fight. At the time that monster was 4x more expensive than the PW-2100. Now it looks like Paradigm has a completely different line up. They've expanded a lot. I feel so retro in my old (7 year-ish) hardware.

Edit: I think more like 8-10 years old depending on the hardware. But the TV and receiver are new (2013 December).

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hello Sheep. I remember you from the old days (2005 when I first joined). You were pretty active even back then. :)

When I purchased my first serious (all relative I know) setup I went with what at that time was a decent amount of cash for a Klipsch/Paragim 7.1 + Yamaha receiver setup for just over $5k. The sub at that time was the Paradigm PW-2100. There might even still be a post about that setup on here somewhere. Foudn it. :D

Not long after that I wanted more of everything. Speakers, sub, amps, etc.

It was suggested that I look at SVS and HSU for price. I just wasn't thrilled about mail orders though. That put those two out of my reach. But there was something a lot close to home that called out to me. The Paradigm Servo 15. It was a beast. Huge power supply. Massive driver. Sealed. It had Servo in the name. :D It was a hard battle to fight. At the time that monster was 4x more expensive than the PW-2100. Now it looks like Paradigm has a completely different line up. They've expanded a lot. I feel so retro in my old (7 year-ish) hardware.

Edit: I think more like 8-10 years old depending on the hardware. But the TV and receiver are new (2013 December).
Greetings! Yeah I am not as active as I used to be, but I try to check in when I have some time (Mountain Biking and Car Detailing have become my big hobbies now, stereo is fairly dormant - although I'm moving back home into a new basement suite to save for a place, and we just installed a fully wired 7.1 room with in ceiling rears, so that'll be new). I listened to the new Monitor line not long ago (1~2 months) and was FLOORED by the bookshelf speaker, the bigger one. It sounded better then the small Monitor tower, better then a lower end Def Tech tower (powered subs inside) and better then a Monitor Audio Silver line tower. They make their own drivers, and every aspect of the speaker in house, and it shows. Yeah, they're not cheap, but they wipe the floor with other models costing more. Energy is no longer the heavy hitter (price relative) that they used to be and it's sad, because my Connoisseurs sound very good still and I can't justify replacing them. I can't remember exactly when I bought them, but they are not going anywhere, and I don't feel bad about that. I was told you should feel good about saving a dollar, not spending it, so when it comes to this I feel pretty good. I did recently buy a new receiver but even that I got for half price on clearance (and all the money for that came from Car Detailing side jobs and gift cards, GF was not impressed if it came from a paycheck).

I guess what I'm trying to say is unless you feel like there is a giant hole in your system (and be honest with yourself, I sat down one day and really tested my setup and felt no desire to change it) you don't have to upgrade. From what I've read the PW2100 and 2200 were supposedly fairly stout subs for a big brand at the time (mainly the 2200, and it's subsequent updated model, but really both). I also know the Servo 15 was a solid subwoofer back in the day (I know the AVtalk Measurements off by heart for that guy, flat to 15Hz ground plane). It would be a significant step up from a 2100, but the DSP series has my interest, specifically the 3400 (14 inch), they just look cool. I don't know, I'm not going to spend your money.

Are you still in Canada? Where abouts? BC? If so, wanna grab a Beer? I do.

SheepStar

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Sheep, you inspired me, sort of. I hadn't heard of CSS before you said you were going to build an SDX10 kit. Thanks for showing me the path.

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
To be honest, after browsing most of this thread, I am highly suprised that infinite baffle was not mentioned. Buy a bunch of SI 18s and you will get the effect you are looking for at the expense of an attic, crawl space, or extra room. Definitely a different approach but should give you plenty of presence in the single digits.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
To be honest, after browsing most of this thread, I am highly suprised that infinite baffle was not mentioned. Buy a bunch of SI 18s and you will get the effect you are looking for at the expense of an attic, crawl space, or extra room. Definitely a different approach but should give you plenty of presence in the single digits.
You are up against issues of practicality. Also this approach is not as snesible as advocates claim.

First off as with sealed, the drivers have to produce the entire sound from cone movement. There is no augmentation of drivers. Loudspeaker cones are lousy acoustic couplers. So approaches using acoustic transformers are better in many ways.

An IB is far from the only way of producing non resonant reproduction, and not the best or most practical.

You have issues of sound bleeding from outside walls and attic spaces. Expect neighbor complaints.

You need a lot of divers. The drivers need a Qts of about 0.5 or so. They need to have low Fs. That sets the lower frequency limit.

So these drivers have floppy suspensions operating under conditions lacking restorative support. This is a recipe for failing suspensions over time and gap rub, unless the drivers are regularly rotated. If these drivers are in the horizontal plane, expect suspension sag.

I can think of better ways than this.

The approach has simplistic design elegance and that it is its attraction. However you have to count the cost of the inherent design limitations.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis