What EXACTLY powered by an amplifirer from a preamp?

B

Buff

Enthusiast
Hello-

My FIRST question here and I'm NEW.

I took a year of university physics but electricity-WEIRD-"right hand rule"(what's the left hand rule?), I know the equations, or at least I cannfind them in my book.

Presently I have a Sony STRDN1040, POLK; PS125SW, set of MONITOR II 70S and a set of RTIA9s. I am running the MONITORs through my "surround" channs and the RTIA9s though the FRONT speaker channels. But BOTH SETS of speakers are in the front. So, in fact, I have quasi 2.1 system with 2 sets of speakers. The arrangement sounds amazing. I've listened to numerous high end speakers. The Def Techs had an enormous sound stage and tight low bass. The Martin Logans had an ethereal quality to their sound. No doubt this was due to their ribbon tweeter. I first heard this effect when I was 17 in a pair of Infinity RSIII. I was hooked on-if not "high end"-then at least "OK -end" sound systems. I played trumpet for 12 years and have an gift for tone. I never worked on it. It just was. I am nearly pitch-perfect. But everyone who I have met who is truly pitch perfect are kinda...odd. So, I say "nearly" pitch perfect.

I wanted to buy a set of Triton Ones. And might someday. I do like Sandy Gross' work.

My problem is the RTIA9s. My little Sony just doesn't have the power to move its drivers. The speakers take between 50-500 watts.

I am not interested in a 11.2 system. At most I will have a 5.1. I don't watch many blockbuster films, so my emphasis is on audio and visual is secondary.

Seems recievers-even expensive, high end models don't have sufficient power in my view. They do have numerous add-ons and features but power? No.

Then I saw a review on Amazon of someone using a Crown amplifier to power their sound system. To my joy the things have MASSIVE power and are relatively cheap.

But HOW does one set that up?. Is it a smart thing to do, electrically? Is there loss of higher frequency output?(I've heard this from some people who've tried it. Also from Marantz; "Beware ClassD amplifiers because you'll experience high frequency loss in your music. BTW we do have a ClassD amplifier, M1, that we make and has NONE of those problems because of our engineers fixed it.")

And someone mentioned that there are videos on this site on how to correctly hook up a preamp to one of these classD amps?.

I am fearful that I will lose the great sound thatI have in my lil' Sony if I change to a new system. The Sony just isn't able to power the whole system.

That was A LOT longer than I wanted it to be.

But maybe I'll just have to ask once and everyone will know exactly what I'm attempting to do. And then all chime in with your disperate and PASSIONATE (oh, I've read through the forums!) views.on how to guide and help?.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Uhhh, welcome, I guess? I have no clue what the question is.

But don't get too hung up on wattage. Doubling of power only results in an increase of 3dB of sound. Most listening is typically done around 1 - 20 watts anyway.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
In order to use a Crown for your mains, your Sony receiver would need to be equipped with pre-outs for the front L and R channels. If your Sony lacks those, then you cannot add an external amp to it.

I try and keep the passion directed at the music. The gear is just the gear, and it deserves a rather dispassionate, reductive approach (i.e. are these pieces of kit the right tools for the job at hand?).

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You need a receiver with audio - preouts (rca or xlr) to connect to an external amplifier, yours does not have them.

For those speakers, I would expect an external amp to produce some minor improvements, being able to adequately energize the woofers with enough left over for mids and highs. But this would be very subtle!!

'Moving the drivers' signifies that you are listening at such high volumes that the drivers are being pushed to their limits. Sound wave propagation is not 'moving air'.

A true upgrade would be found with better speakers, but obviously thats going to take a lot more to achieve!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I took a year of university physics...
Physics would be so much more interesting if they would incorporate speakers and amps and talk about how much power loudspeakers truly need. :D

I used to own Def Tech BP7000SC (also Sandy Gross). I used to power them with a 50 WPC AVR. Sounded great in a 18x20x10 room.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I played trumpet for 12 years and have an gift for tone. I never worked on it. It just was. I am nearly pitch-perfect. But everyone who I have met who is truly pitch perfect are kinda...odd. So, I say "nearly" pitch perfect.
Just curious what you mean by pitch perfect. My first guess is you have a very good ear and can tell if a note is off-pitch.
"Perfect pitch" or "absolute pitch" are terms I see being misused often. Both of these mean the same thing (if used in reference to sound), and that is you wake up in the morning and a bird is out your window and you know the bird is singing B-G-B-B-B. Or I could ask you out of the blue to hum a middle C, you do it and I hit one on the piano and you are dead on.
The director of one of the bands I play in has perfect pitch...plus his music theory is good enough the he can transpose anything on the spot. It is pretty handy because he can say "You played a Bb in measure 52. Is that what you have?"... Yes... "Then change it to a D". Before I knew he had perfect pitch, I was like "WTF"!!! He is the best director I have ever had with a great sense of humor.
...However, he may well have been a very awkward geek when he was younger.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Physics would be so much more interesting if they would incorporate speakers and amps and talk about how much power loudspeakers truly need.
I thought shooting the little monkey dropping out of a tree was pretty cool. ;)

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
You need a receiver with audio - preouts (rca or xlr) to connect to an external amplifier, yours does not have them.
And there's the answer to your question.
The rest of discussion is about how much difference it would make if you could. ;)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Just curious what you mean by pitch perfect. My first guess is you have a very good ear and can tell if a note is off-pitch.
"Perfect pitch" or "absolute pitch" are terms I see being misused often. Both of these mean the same thing (if used in reference to sound), and that is you wake up in the morning and a bird is out your window and you know the bird is singing B-G-B-B-B. Or I could ask you out of the blue to hum a middle C, you do it and I hit one on the piano and you are dead on.
The director of one of the bands I play in has perfect pitch...plus his music theory is good enough the he can transpose anything on the spot. It is pretty handy because he can say "You played a Bb in measure 52. Is that what you have?"... Yes... "Then change it to a D". Before I knew he had perfect pitch, I was like "WTF"!!! He is the best director I have ever had with a great sense of humor.
...However, he may well have been a very awkward geek when he was younger.
I used to play racquetball with my music theory professor. It was widely known that he had perfect pitch, but not many realized how his ability would translate into sports. When the ball would scrape the wall and make a squawk, he would say, "Oh, G-sharp!" I'd get cracked up and he'd score the point.

B

Buff

Enthusiast
In order to use a Crown for your mains, your Sony receiver would need to be equipped with pre-outs for the front L and R channels. If your Sony lacks those, then you cannot add an external amp to it.

I try and keep the passion directed at the music. The gear is just the gear, and it deserves a rather dispassionate, reductive approach (i.e. are these pieces of kit the right tools for the job at hand?).
It DOESNT have them...sadly. I am thinking about a Marantz preamp and then an amp. I just do not understand how one would hook up a powerful Dclass amp: Inuke or Crown to a Marantz preamp.
Someone told me there are videos on this site on how to create this arrangement. I've heard positive and negative impressions of doing this. But no one has specifications on how this works or doesn't work.

B

Buff

Enthusiast
It DOESNT have them...sadly. I am thinking about a Marantz preamp and then an amp. I just do not understand how one would hook up a powerful Dclass amp: Inuke or Crown to a Marantz preamp.
Someone told me there are videos on this site on how to create this arrangement. I've heard positive and negative impressions of doing this. But no one has specifications on how this works or doesn't work.
And there's the answer to your question.
The rest of discussion is about how much difference it would make if you could. ;)
Also, I HIGHLY agree with your assessment of equipment. Too many people do get caught up in number, names and COST. So many just review spec sheets and buy and ARGUE based on that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the receiver or pre-amp/processor has pre-outs for connection to an external amplifier it will work. The pre-amp needs sufficient voltage on the pre-outs for the amp to work with, but that's usually not an issue in any case.

B

Buff

Enthusiast
I used to play racquetball with my music theory professor. It was widely known that he had perfect pitch, but not many realized how his ability would translate into sports. When the ball would scrape the wall and make a squawk, he would say, "Oh, G-sharp!" I'd get cracked up and he'd score the point.
I almost become ill when I hear someone/something off key. And the closer it gets to the note but not spot on, the worse it is.
Our quintet would tune to my "C". And for fun we'd see how close I would to the digital tuner. I was alwaya spot on. But I'm very red-green color blind as are 13% of all males. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away!!.

B

Buff

Enthusiast

For those speakers, I would expect an external amp to produce some minor improvements, being able to adequately energize the woofers with enough left over for mids and highs. But this would be very subtle!!

'Moving the drivers' signifies that you are listening at such high volumes that the drivers are being pushed to their limits. Sound wave propagation is not 'moving air'.

A true upgrade would be found with better speakers, but obviously thats going to take a lot more to achieve!
I agree with the speaker idea. But the area where I have my sound system (if I may call it that) is accoustically TERRIBLE: Very vaulted ceilings with a fireplace nearby. I've been a musician and I know the tremendous affect of auditiorium on sound. Also, as odd as it sounds on a site called "AUDIOHOLICS" I do NOT want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to find the perfect sound system. I have so many other hyper expensive interests: flying and scuba diving. The sound passion can be an amazingly expensive endeavour.
But I was stunned how good having the POLK MONITOR 70s and POLK rtia9s hooked up TOGETHER. I enjoy the VOLUME of sound not the LOUDNESS. I was going to sell the MONITORS70s but now will keep them.

So, is there a video on this site on how to set up a Crown or Inuke amp to a capable preamp?. I realize my present Sony isn't capable. If a Dclass amp isn't a good idea I was considering a Marantz preamp and a Monoprice amp..good idea or not?.

B

Buff

Enthusiast
I agree with the speaker idea. But the area where I have my sound system (if I may call it that) is accoustically TERRIBLE: Very vaulted ceilings with a fireplace nearby. I've been a musician and I know the tremendous affect of auditiorium on sound. Also, as odd as it sounds on a site called "AUDIOHOLICS" I do NOT want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to find the perfect sound system. I have so many other hyper expensive interests: flying and scuba diving. The sound passion can be an amazingly expensive endeavour.
But I was stunned how good having the POLK MONITOR 70s and POLK rtia9s hooked up TOGETHER. I enjoy the VOLUME of sound not the LOUDNESS. I was going to sell the MONITORS70s but now will keep them.

So, is there a video on this site on how to set up a Crown or Inuke amp to a capable preamp?. I realize my present Sony isn't capable. If a Dclass amp isn't a good idea I was considering a Marantz preamp and a Monoprice amp..good idea or not?.
No. My Sony doesn't have the preouts
I thought a Marantz preamp and an Inuke or Crown amp. But HOW those would work-or not-no one has told me or better yet shown me a video on it.
If a Marnatz or Crown/Inuke setup doesnt work then I thought maybe a Monoprice amp with the Marantz preamp??.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No. My Sony doesn't have the preouts
I thought a Marantz preamp and an Inuke or Crown amp. But HOW those would work-or not-no one has told me or better yet shown me a video on it.
If a Marnatz or Crown/Inuke setup doesnt work then I thought maybe a Monoprice amp with the Marantz preamp??.
Pre-amp outputs go to amp inputs........

B

Buff

Enthusiast
Pre-amp outputs go to amp inputs........
Yes. I just knew my question was a bit too complicated.
"What are the benefits and disadvantages of using and hooking up a CLASSD amplifier to a preamp and HOW is it done?"

That's really my question. ClassD amps generate to much more power/ $ compared to ClassAB amps-which are most stereo amplifiers. Marantz DOES make a ClassD amp. But it's very expensive compared to Crown or Inuke's offereings.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I almost become ill when I hear someone/something off key. And the closer it gets to the note but not spot on, the worse it is.
Our quintet would tune to my "C". And for fun we'd see how close I would to the digital tuner. I was alwaya spot on. But I'm very red-green color blind as are 13% of all males. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away!!.

B

Buff

Enthusiast
Oh man, THAT is funny. Took me a second to get it!.
Great stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis