What do you use to clean your records?

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
I just tried to play an old 7" from my collection and it looked terrible, but I thought I'd try anyway. Well, it sounded as bad as it looked. So, what do you use to clean your records?

P

Pat D

Audioholic
Discwasher brush

I just tried to play an old 7" from my collection and it looked terrible, but I thought I'd try anyway. Well, it sounded as bad as it looked. So, what do you use to clean your records?
Mostly I just use an old Discwasher brush. I usually use it dry because most of my records are pretty clean, and all I get off is a little dust. Regular use of liquid cleaners may damage the vinyl. The easiest way to use the brush is to put the record on the turntable platter, turn it on, and let it run past the brush--sometimes manual assistance is needed unless the TT motor has a lot of torque.

I seldom use the fluid except when the record is really dirty. Actually, when they are really dirty, I may use warm tap water and possibly a bit of dishwasher detergent. Unlike CDs, records should be clearned with a circular motion following the grooves. Tap water may leave small mineral deposits when it dries, to I always run the Discwasher brush over it.

If you must use the Discwasher fluid, it just takes a little bit to moisten the brush. However, my understanding is that water or other fluids should not be used regularly as they tend to remove the 'stabilisers' in the vinyl and make the grooves brittle.

Cleaning the records cannot remove record wear, of course.

I hadn't looked at availability for a long time, but I see Discwasher kits are available at Amazon.

I also use Stylast on my stylus. It is supposed to lubricate the stylus and help it last longer. I don't have anything to support this beyond Last's literature. In any case, I think it is good idea to keep the stylus clean with a little stylus brush.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Wood glue is a great trick. I haven't tried it myself but if I had a really grungy record, I would.

I use a Nitty Gritty plus some fluid I can't remember and distilled water.

Jim

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I use my disc washer purchased in the early 80s. I mostly dry brush unless the used vinyl I purchase looks a little grungy. Then I use the liquid part as well.

J

JazzGuyy

Audiophyte
I use a VPI record cleaning machine and my home-made record cleaning fluid.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
How would you rate it? How does it handle grungy records? Sometimes I buy used vinyl and some of them have looked like death warmed over but played surprisingly clean.
It's the best I've found. Kind of expensive but a little bit goes a long way and lasts a long time. You'd be surprised how much static electricity is in your records, you'll actually feel it on ones that haven't been cleaned in a while. It does a good job of collecting the dust and grime without being hard on the record. Vinyls pretty soft, so, I'm not big on using hard brushes and such.

The first time you clean your collection you'll probably go through the bottle fairly fast (they say 150, which seems about right), but after that little sprays just to maintain it lasts longer.

Other thing is it doesn't gunk up my styleses/stylii (or however you say that plural hehe). I use M44G's, which aren't super expensive for stylus replacements, but it all adds up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis