What do you think of indie music?

R

RedHairedGirl

Audiophyte
As a music publicist for independent musicians, I'd like to get your thoughts on indie music. :D

Do you listen to independent artists? If so, which ones? If not, why?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
RedHairedGirl said:
As a music publicist for independent musicians, I'd like to get your thoughts on indie music. :D

Do you listen to independent artists? If so, which ones? If not, why?
Thanks to a dear friend, I have a large collection of indie cds, perhaps approaching 1,000. :) IMHO I think there is more true art and beautiful new music made in Indie-land than all of corporate-commercial music.

My collection primarily favors alt. rock and alt. country. There are so many great bands out there it's scary. A few of my favorites? ........

Driveby Truckers - Go to this site http://www.drivebytruckers.com/ and give a listen to "Never Gonna Change"...great rock!

Evangeline - Jennifer Potter's voice is that of an angel! http://evangelinewa.com/ You can hear a clip at a wonderful Indie sales site online, Miles of Music (MOM :)) http://store.milesofmusic.com/28258.html

Misty River Band - Samples worth your minute to listen at http://www.mistyriverband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=1

Lonesome Brothers

Dave Hardin

Indigenous

Last edited:
supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Is TV on the Radio considered an indie band. Cos I frickin LOVE them! I've seen them live, and they put on one heck of a cool show. They are the coolest musicians I've ever seen play. And every time I play their CD for an unsuspecting friend, that friend is always flipped out. Check 'em out!

(And if they're not considered indie, then I apologize for intruding on this thread. Hey, they seem indie to me, but what do I know?)

cheers,
supervij

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm into the underground hardcore scene. I'm not talking dumb screaming, but screaming added to great music, and its good screaming.

I don't care what people think, they can enjoy their "purgatory" been done, repeated mainstream music.

heres a couple of bands I like.

Blood Brothers
Poison The Well
Thrice (getting popular, but great music)
Alexisonfire (also getting popular, but they havent changed from their roots)
Death By Stereo (IMO, great name :) )

SheepStar
PS - If you want to hear some of their stuff, PM me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like a lot of small, practically no name bands. Quite a few of them I heard as opening acts for other bands that I've gone to see. The most notable ones: Atomship, Sloth, Flyleaf. All of them put on very good live shows and I ended up buying each of the albums and liked them all.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Can you define Indy? Anything not signed to a label? anything NOT on Mtv? Only performers who play for spare change at bus stops?

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
j_garcia said:
I like a lot of small, practically no name bands. Quite a few of them I heard as opening acts for other bands that I've gone to see. The most notable ones: Atomship, Sloth, Flyleaf. All of them put on very good live shows and I ended up buying each of the albums and liked them all.
I saw Flyleaf when they were Passerby. I haven't heard their album that's out as Flyleaf, but I got a copy of their demo album and its pretty good.

B

bloosquare

Enthusiast
Music

Indie normally has very specific connotations that are somewhat different from the term "independent" (i.e. SXSW,CMJ, college radio and college record stores). But I was thinking of what I have that may be vaguely considered "indie" that appeals those who live beyond the lofi (i.e. you guys :)), one of the songs I always use to "test" out stereo equipment is cover of Joy Division's Transmission by Low. The song is beautifully done, heroin slow and really brings out the tragic brilliance of JD and particularly their lyrics (and why they have such a cult following) that is sometimes not evident beyond the freneticism of the band and crappy recording equipment back in the day of JD.

I also second jesus and mary chain (who are major label?). If noisy surfer music is your thing and you are thinking of getting multiple albums, snag Darklands, its a slower, sweeter album than typical J&MC. Actually speaking of J&MC another band that brings out good speakers is Mazzy Stars second album (the purple one whose name completely escapes me).
Actually speaking of Mazzy Star, if you like Mazzy Star check out a woman named Nicki Jaine (absurdly misplaced on the projekt label). she reminds me of a demented audrey hepburn meets Mother Dearest w/ some of the most brilliant lyrics and wide open vocals i've ever heard.

This last bit can't be considered indie at all (in the indie record store way) but one of the recent reincarnations of "the children of NIN" (more properly the grandchildren of kraftwerk :) ) spawned a genre called EBM a few years ago. Around the same time, three albums came out: Apoptygma Bezerk's - Welcome to Earth, Covenant's United States of mind and VNV Nation's - Empires (all on Metropolis records). (By song I would pick apoptygma bezerks starsign, covenant's figurehead and vnv nation's standing as representative songs). The genre is like the lyrical brilliance of Pretty hate machine era NIN, meets the sheer anthemness of songs like queen's under pressure and/or the verve's bittersweet symphony with the synth overtones of the electronic side of the industrial era.

Most of this is likely on itunes (Low is not for some reason but Transmission EP is available)

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Shadow_Ferret said:
I have no idea what "indie" music is.
Neither do I. I assumed any band that got as far as a CD had to have sold-out at some point. (Unless they are amateur CD-Rs being sold out of the bass players stationwagen).

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
I love indie music. The best music out there. Been learning about new bands lately from the Next Big Hit and Monday Show podcasts. CD Baby.com and garage band are awesome.
Spin 66 is one of my favorite bands
Charlotte Martin is getting heavy rotation in the CD player
32 Leaves is great
Too many to name off

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Shadow_Ferret said:
I have no idea what "indie" music is.
Right or wrong I've always considered "indie music" to be releases by artists who haven't been signed by a major label. As such they aren't getting national (or international) airplay.

I just ordered a cd by Julie Gribble http://www.juliegribble.com/ I first heard of her on the schwagcast.com (see my sig). Its a podcast put out by a couple friends who combine banter, stories, nonsense, and some pretty good "indie" music. Check it out.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

After doing some research into the subject I've got the following artists into my Amazon shopping cart: SubArachnoid Space, Andrew Bird, and Sufjan Stevens.

I'm hoping they live upto their indie hype!:)

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Wow, a topic near and dear to my heart. Rock&Roll Ninja, the Sufjan will serve you well.

Just as a way to get it out there, if you're interested in indie, there's a great site that is probably the preeminent indie web page. It usually does 5 album reviews per day, everday. And at the end of the year, they put up their top 50. The top 50 was just released yesterday. Every now and again, a mainstream label will get some ink over there if it's from a solid artist who just happens to be on a big label (Radiohead; Kanye West), but most of it is stuff you really don't hear about unless you really keep your ear to the ground. Since finding it about 3 years ago, my CD collection has been completely overhauled/transformed and i've bought way more music than I should have (i'm talking absurd levels of spendage). The site is called Pitchfork. They do a lot of indie rock, but i've also discovered a lot of indie groups that fall in all kinds of genres and sub-genres. Their top 50 of the year is a great start for the newly aquainted...it's like flipping through a phone book...just let your finger land on any given album and chances are, it's gonna be pretty solid:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com

Some of my fav's right now (too many to list all):
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Wolf Parade, Menomena, Four Tet, Animal Collective, Sufjan Stevens, Architecture in Helsinki, Boards of Canada, Grizzly Bear, The Books, The National, Rogue Wave. Okay, that's enough. Happy hunting.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
corysmith01 said:
Wow, a topic near and dear to my heart. Rock&Roll Ninja, the Sufjan will serve you well.

Just as a way to get it out there, if you're interested in indie, there's a great site that is probably the preeminent indie web page. It usually does 5 album reviews per day, everday. And at the end of the year, they put up their top 50. The top 50 was just released yesterday. Every now and again, a mainstream label will get some ink over there if it's from a solid artist who just happens to be on a big label (Radiohead; Kanye West), but most of it is stuff you really don't hear about unless you really keep your ear to the ground. Since finding it about 3 years ago, my CD collection has been completely overhauled/transformed and i've bought way more music than I should have (i'm talking absurd levels of spendage). The site is called Pitchfork. They do a lot of indie rock, but i've also discovered a lot of indie groups that fall in all kinds of genres and sub-genres. Their top 50 of the year is a great start for the newly aquainted...it's like flipping through a phone book...just let your finger land on any given album and chances are, it's gonna be pretty solid:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com

Some of my fav's right now (too many to list all):
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Wolf Parade, Menomena, Four Tet, Animal Collective, Sufjan Stevens, Architecture in Helsinki, Boards of Canada, Grizzly Bear, The Books, The National, Rogue Wave. Okay, that's enough. Happy hunting.
Cool site.

I just searched Blood Brothers on it, and they did pretty good(9.1 rating) with "Burn, Piano Island, Burn"

Although, They didn't like "Crimes" as much.

They still need a larger data-base, but a good site.

SheepStar

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Hawkeye said:
Right or wrong I've always considered "indie music" to be releases by artists who haven't been signed by a major label. As such they aren't getting national (or international) airplay.
Well, then technically I've been listening to Indie music before Indie music was considered "cool."

A list of my favorite bands from the 70s are all bands that got little or no airplay.

As always, I find myself both ahead of the curve and behind it. :rolleyes:

bobbydigital

bobbydigital

Junior Audioholic
Some of my favorite hip-hop producers/mc's are indie artists: MF DOOM , Madlib, Dangermouse. These guys are breathing life into hip-hop with extrodinary talent and originality that is very hard to find.
Check out Madlibs- Shades of Blue album

BUY the album DANGERDOOM!!! Unbeatable

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis