What did your xmas shopping look like this year?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't put much effort into the shopping thing this year, I bought a 5 cases of yankee candle wood wick jars candles, then 60- $50 gift cards {I got 20% off the gift cards, they were micheals, applebees, itunes, and bass pro}, so that is what the non immediate family will be getting, a candle and a gift card...
My sons got ps4's, work boots they wanted, and a few other things, I got my wife a new Robot Coupe R2 Dice, and thats about it. Hopefully I my wife got me some socks and a nice warm hat and it will be a good xmas, all of us together and healthy...

Merry xmas AH...

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
it will be a good xmas, all of us together and healthy...

Merry xmas AH...
That's the important part.

I haven't even started :eek: but I only have 1 person to shop for. ;) My girl works at a call center and they made her take her pictures down of her family, which are in Arizona. I know she misses them. Since she can't have any type of paper on her desk, security reasons, I ordered a digital photo frame for her. Thinking maybe a nice black leather mid length coat as well, it goes with her leather boots.
Remember, this should be a season of peace and giving, not just gifts, but of time and love. As it should be.

Merry Christmas to all.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...I got my wife a new Robot Coupe R2 Dice, and thats about it.
Oh, and a villa. But, who's counting? :D

Merry xmas AH...
Same to you!

My family and I don't really do Christmas presents anymore for each other. My brothers do them for their families, and my parents get stuff for the grandkids. I spent years asking my brothers what their kids would like for Christmas, but since I rarely got any response, I stopped asking. I tend to just get stuff for my family whenever. For example, my dad called yesterday asking about an HDMI switch - and he's going to get one today from Amazon. Granted, it is the holiday season :), but that's not why I got it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Since she can't have any type of paper on her desk, security reasons, I ordered a digital photo frame for her.
You're a good man! I must say, though, that seems odd to me. Not the gift :), but that paper is a security concern. Well, and that digital storage in the frame would be less of a concern.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

Same to you!

My family and I don't really do Christmas presents anymore for each other. My brothers do them for their families, and my parents get stuff for the grandkids. I spent years asking my brothers what their kids would like for Christmas, but since I rarely got any response, I stopped asking. I tend to just get stuff for my family whenever. For example, my dad called yesterday asking about an HDMI switch - and he's going to get one today from Amazon. Granted, it is the holiday season :), but that's not why I got it.

I have noticed that me and my siblings just exchange gift cards, its a giant waste of time, I have a stack of gift cards and re-give them away to people. Which I shouldn't say because my brother sometimes reads my posts on here, lol...

As far as the kids go, I have a handful of nieces, nephews, and kids of friends that I give metals and coins. I have been doing this for years, I buy a box of silver $1 eagles {I keep the left overs} every year, the price always changes, for example the 2014 eagles cost me $15.90 each, so I will throw a couple of them and I have a ton of 1z troy silver bars, so I will throw one or 2 of them with a couple coins in an envelope for each kid..

My thought behind this is the future, you get a kid some $50 toy that they play with for 3 hours total {I read an article, kids dont play with toys anymore, electronics yes, but toys no}, they forget about that toy by the next year, when my nephew for example, is 18 years old he could potentially have a good chunk of change {we also deposit into their college funds}. Figure they get 3-4 oz of silver for xmas 3-4 for their birthday, a 1/10 oz $5 gold eagle for their birthday every year, and then I already have a 1oz gold for each of them when they graduate {got an awesome deal on them a few years back}, at todays value 18 years worth will be around $6K ish, not too bad, then they will remember unk Irv... Not a bunch of junk toys that cost me the same thing... They aren't really old enough to get this yet {oldest is 13}, but when they are getting ready to start their life it could be helpful, I tried to talk a few others in my family to do it for them and got funny looks, but what ever, it makes sense to me...

If anyone is interested in doing it a good way to watch the price is through MCM, I deal with these guys a lot, their prices are solid and a little trick for those of you on ebay.... If you are in the ebay bucks program and get them 10% coupons once and a while, you can buy metals for less than they are worth at current market value...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380706664673?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT but the best way is to buy direct and mail in a check, you lock the price when it looks good to you and don't look back... I have a couple hundred pounds of silver, between coins and bars {I have a 9lb bar from an old shipwreck, bought at auction when everyone else must have been sleeping}...
Another trick I have learned is don't fall in love, just because the coin has a panda on it doesnt make its silver worth more, lol.. I buy eagles because I get a great deal on them, some guys buy chinese coins and all kinds of other BS, you pay extra you lose, buy low, hold onto it and sell when you need to...

ANYWAY, its good for the kids, teach them how many REALLY works...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

The property is in my companies name, no one owns that, lol, its an investment, we are going international, I have only been there once and it has cost me more than any single piece of real estate I have ever purchased, Fun...

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
You're a good man! I must say, though, that seems odd to me. Not the gift :), but that paper is a security concern. Well, and that digital storage in the frame would be less of a concern.
She works for a call center where she helps qualify people for government based discounts, so she has access to account numbers and personal data. Apparently they are worried about people writing stuff down and doing unscrupulous things with that info. Now the picture frame uses a sd mini, and although you technically could put data on that, I think it would be difficult. The computers all have key logs and cameras everywhere. I don't really know for sure if they will allow it, but if they don't, it was rather inexpensive and she could always bring it home.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
We got all of our family member s nice little blanket or throw for the couch.

I got Carolyn a decked out snowboarding trip to Heavenly at Lake Tahoe so we can Board and gamble.

I told her not to get me anything as we would count the trip as "our" gift but she came home yesterday with all new winter clothes for me and even a new Snowboard jacket.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
We got all of our family member s nice little blanket or throw for the couch.

I got Carolyn a decked out snowboarding trip to Heavenly at Lake Tahoe so we can Board and gamble.

I told her not to get me anything as we would count the trip as "our" gift but she came home yesterday with all new winter clothes for me and even a new Snowboard jacket.
AWESOME, I love lake Tahoe, we have gone a few times, first time was in the summer, and everyone was talking about how nice it was in the winter, so that same year we went in the winter, OMG, amazing!!! So the last time we went was also winter, just an amazing part of our country for sure...
All 3 times we stayed at a place called the Landing, the first time we were in a premium room which was very nice, the bathroom was amazing, heated toilet seats, rain shower, ect, the next time my wife wanted a lake view room so we got one of their suites, it was also amazing, but if I remember correctly it was $850 a night, and comparing it to the premium room at $400 ish, which was similar with no lake view, it didn't seem worth it. I could see the double cost if you could walk out onto the beach from the room like some of the places I have stayed{tahoe isn't that kind of place, but still},just a view, I dont know if its worth almost $1K a night, needless to say my wife loved the lake view and we stayed in that same room the next time, lol, I thought it was a waste, she loved it and drank her coffee looking in the direction of the lake...

But anyway, I wish I was there right now {depending on their weather of course :D}, if you are looking for something to do, go dog sledding, I don't know if you have ever been, BUT it is amazing, what an awesome experience, I have now done it a bunch of time, we did it in oregon, washington state, canada, tahoe, ITS AWESOME... The first time we got a tour, then I asked the kid if we could go out with out the wives, and he said "OH YEAH", so we went back later that week, we got our own sled, got to rig the dogs ourselves, me my buddy and 2 of the guys that work at the place, took 4 sleds on one of the most amazing, thrilling, times of our lives.
I learned how strong them dogs are, first hand, he showed me how to walk them over to their positions, and he pulled the dogs up on its hind legs, it looked really uncomfortable for the dog, and he dragged the dog over, so Im thinking Im not dragging the dog like that I am 290lbs I dont want to be beating up on this dog, so he hands me the collar, and I take a few steps, then let the dog kind of walk on his own with all 4 legs, BIG MISTAKE!!!! My buddy was thinking the same thing as me and we must have out them down at the same time, I got dragged about 10 feet, my boots fell off because I hadn't strapped them yet, my buddy is a lot smaller than me he went about 40 feet, broke his glasses, ripped his clothes all up, it was funny...

So finally we get everything all set, them dogs were loud, all that barking and yipping, then we get a quick couple lessons on how to command and control the sled, 20 minutes later we are FLYING, like 25mph holding onto a sled, going through these trails, it was one of the best experiences of my life. The girls were getting manicures and massages we were getting dragged around in the snow, life was good... After we were out there for a while, we followed them up to a spot where a lot of the employees from around there hang out and party after work, a lot of workers from our hotel were there, we partied until after 3am!!! We wake up in the morning and my wife asked how late we were out, I told her I didn't know, we go to breakfast that morning and the waitress says "Hey Irv, Im surprised to see you up this early, you guys didn't stop till 3am"... Then the rest of the trip was littered with people walking up to me and my buddy saying things like "EPIC, lake party BUD, EPIC" and our wives are like "OK, no more partying with the locals for you guys"... I don't recall all the events of that night, but I remember walking out of the building and thinking, OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO RIDE DOGS ALL THE WAY BACK!!!!, and my buddy apparently bought like $2500 of drinks that night, he told me he spent a lot buying rounds, but we got home and a couple weeks later he texted me a picture of his credit card statement, we had a good laugh..

MAN I wish I was going to lake tahoe, when is your trip planned for?

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
AWESOME, I love lake Tahoe, we have gone a few times, first time was in the summer, and everyone was talking about how nice it was in the winter, so that same year we went in the winter, OMG, amazing!!! So the last time we went was also winter, just an amazing part of our country for sure...
All 3 times we stayed at a place called the Landing, the first time we were in a premium room which was very nice, the bathroom was amazing, heated toilet seats, rain shower, ect, the next time my wife wanted a lake view room so we got one of their suites, it was also amazing, but if I remember correctly it was $850 a night, and comparing it to the premium room at $400 ish, which was similar with no lake view, it didn't seem worth it. I could see the double cost if you could walk out onto the beach from the room like some of the places I have stayed{tahoe isn't that kind of place, but still},just a view, I dont know if its worth almost $1K a night, needless to say my wife loved the lake view and we stayed in that same room the next time, lol, I thought it was a waste, she loved it and drank her coffee looking in the direction of the lake...

But anyway, I wish I was there right now {depending on their weather of course :D}, if you are looking for something to do, go dog sledding, I don't know if you have ever been, BUT it is amazing, what an awesome experience, I have now done it a bunch of time, we did it in oregon, washington state, canada, tahoe, ITS AWESOME... The first time we got a tour, then I asked the kid if we could go out with out the wives, and he said "OH YEAH", so we went back later that week, we got our own sled, got to rig the dogs ourselves, me my buddy and 2 of the guys that work at the place, took 4 sleds on one of the most amazing, thrilling, times of our lives.
I learned how strong them dogs are, first hand, he showed me how to walk them over to their positions, and he pulled the dogs up on its hind legs, it looked really uncomfortable for the dog, and he dragged the dog over, so Im thinking Im not dragging the dog like that I am 290lbs I dont want to be beating up on this dog, so he hands me the collar, and I take a few steps, then let the dog kind of walk on his own with all 4 legs, BIG MISTAKE!!!! My buddy was thinking the same thing as me and we must have out them down at the same time, I got dragged about 10 feet, my boots fell off because I hadn't strapped them yet, my buddy is a lot smaller than me he went about 40 feet, broke his glasses, ripped his clothes all up, it was funny...

So finally we get everything all set, them dogs were loud, all that barking and yipping, then we get a quick couple lessons on how to command and control the sled, 20 minutes later we are FLYING, like 25mph holding onto a sled, going through these trails, it was one of the best experiences of my life. The girls were getting manicures and massages we were getting dragged around in the snow, life was good... After we were out there for a while, we followed them up to a spot where a lot of the employees from around there hang out and party after work, a lot of workers from our hotel were there, we partied until after 3am!!! We wake up in the morning and my wife asked how late we were out, I told her I didn't know, we go to breakfast that morning and the waitress says "Hey Irv, Im surprised to see you up this early, you guys didn't stop till 3am"... Then the rest of the trip was littered with people walking up to me and my buddy saying things like "EPIC, lake party BUD, EPIC" and our wives are like "OK, no more partying with the locals for you guys"... I don't recall all the events of that night, but I remember walking out of the building and thinking, OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO RIDE DOGS ALL THE WAY BACK!!!!, and my buddy apparently bought like $2500 of drinks that night, he told me he spent a lot buying rounds, but we got home and a couple weeks later he texted me a picture of his credit card statement, we had a good laugh..

MAN I wish I was going to lake tahoe, when is your trip planned for?
Dogsleding...wow...I never thought about that. My wife asked if we could do something besides snowboard everyday and I said sure but I don't know what else would be fun. We will try dogsleding. We leave Feb 14th and will be gone a week. Our lodge is about 20 ft from the Gondola at base.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You will not regret the dog sledding, there are a few companies that do it out there...
I just looked , Feb 14th, we are going to Italy with the kids for 2 weeks, their school vacation starts the 13th, I am sure tahoe is going to busy in there, school vacations are that week... I am retired now, my wife would love for me to walk in the other room and say we are going to tahoe for a weekend.... Although I fear we will be spending 98.99% of our vacation time in Italy now, not that is saves me any money, the flights are insane!!!! But my wife is thrifty, she actually booked a cruise for next year that drops us off near our villa {70 miles away} then we can stay there 5 days and cruise back to NY, she asked if it sounded good, I was of course like "how much" and she said it was less than 2 round trip plane tickets!!! How can that be? But what ever, I'll take a cruise over, stay at our own house, and then cruise back, I don't have anything else to do :oops:

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You will not regret the dog sledding, there are a few companies that do it out there...
I just looked , Feb 14th, we are going to Italy with the kids for 2 weeks, their school vacation starts the 13th, I am sure tahoe is going to busy in there, school vacations are that week... I am retired now, my wife would love for me to walk in the other room and say we are going to tahoe for a weekend.... Although I fear we will be spending 98.99% of our vacation time in Italy now, not that is saves me any money, the flights are insane!!!! But my wife is thrifty, she actually booked a cruise for next year that drops us off near our villa {70 miles away} then we can stay there 5 days and cruise back to NY, she asked if it sounded good, I was of course like "how much" and she said it was less than 2 round trip plane tickets!!! How can that be? But what ever, I'll take a cruise over, stay at our own house, and then cruise back, I don't have anything else to do :oops:
I think we are spending our entire 2015 summer there with the kids, and we are talking about letting my son do his senior year and my youngest doing his sophomore year there {2017}, so we can potentially be there for 9-10 months... I swear that is all my wife thinks about now, how to get to italy, she actually has an amazon account for buying stuff and having it sent to italy, its getting weird...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I got my wife a Jewelry Armoire(wanted to build it, but haven't had the time and weather combination. I got her an IPod 160gb classic and some earrings she wanted. Hoping my etsy earring ship soon, but looks like they won't arrive in time for Christmas. Hopefully they get done before her birthday. Looks like she may need a new computer as well. The Asus is having a lot of issues right now.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Crap....we ended up with a new fridge for Christmas too. We(I) didn't want one but it will be here this morning.

We have had our current one since 10/2006. It is a LG which I have learned to hate LG since 2006. The ice maker went out within the first year and I had it repaired under warranty. It went out again after the warranty expired and I refused to repair it again.

Growing up my wife never had an ice maker and one of two things she insisted on as an adult was an ice maker. For the past 5 years I have put my foot down and said we are not getting a new fridge just so you have an ice maker.

On Thanksgiving,we awakened to a semi-cold fridge. I assumed it was just struggling secondary to all the food in there. We turned the settings up to "torch" and it has done fine since then up, until two days ago, although it has stayed on it's coldest temp settings.

On Christmas,we awakened to a semi-cold fridge. I assume at that point that the poor thing just doesn't like holidays. I get it, I don't love the holidays myself.

I had to run into the office yesterday for a couple of hours and on the way home I pass the Appliance store that we purchase all of our stuff from. I turn around and run in there to ask them about repair. Right during the middle of our conversation my wife texted me and asked if I would please just let her have her ice maker. I thought to myself, yep I have been selfish on this one so I just said hook me up with what you would put in your house. I was surprised when he led me to one of the least expensive ones he had (It's a pretty high end store). It was a KitchenAid and I said I figured we would be going with something else. He said "take a step into the service shop and talk to any of the techs and ask them which fridge they never get calls on" so I said "good enough".

I have to admit, I am not excited about getting a new fridge this morning and it is about the last thing I wanted for Christmas. It PO's me knowing that they build everything to only last a few years now and it PO's me that they overcharge for repair so it's usually just better to purchase a new appliance.

Now that I think about it, I am going to kick it as soon as it comes in the door.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It was a KitchenAid and I said I figured we would be going with something else. He said "take a step into the service shop and talk to any of the techs and ask them which fridge they never get calls on" so I said "good enough".
You know why they never get calls on it? Because everyone else actually did go with something else. :p

J/K, man. Sorry about the LG, but glad that Carolyn is getting an ice maker again...you selfish barsted. :D Which model did you end up getting?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Good luck with the new fridge, I am DONE with built in ice makers and water dispensers, NO MORE FOR ME!!! I spent as much as $7500 on a refer/frzr/ice/water combo unit, and it sucked, the cheap ones sucked, they all drove us crazy!!! Not completely the units fault, we do use a lot of ice, my kids constantly have friends over and you hear that thing grinding ice and splashing around constantly, in fact this morning I heard jingling glasses coming up the stairs around 6am, lol...

PLUS we entertain a lot, so we are hard on them, I know my mother has never had a problem with hers, BUT she uses it once a day for 4 ice cubes!!! So after going through 3 units, I finally installed a built in ice maker, and a counter top water unit that does cold and hot water {hot enough to make instant soup}.. And when you add it up it doesn't cost as much as a high end refrigerator...
the hot and cold water unit
http://waterinc.mwrc.net/en/category.php?product_category_id=8966
and a built in ice unit
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/electrolux-15-60-lb-built-in-icemaker-stainless-steel/8722091.p?id=1200703005724&skuId=8722091

I also did the built in point of use water filter system behind the ice maker and under the everhot, then you just pick a normal fridge and ignore the water ice BS...
So figure $900 for a normal fridge http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/catalog-product.jsp?prodId=WRS325FNAE&cm_mmc=pla-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=GoogleBase&KPID=WRS325FNAE&kpid=WRS325FNAE&gclid=CPz2haG95sICFW4V7AoduV4Aiw

and by the time you get the everhot and ice maker you still dont spend as much as a an all in one, except you get hot water, and more ice than you could ever imagine for residential use... The install is what will cost you, but most of it you can do your self or get a $50-60 an hour guy to do in 3-4 hours...

Plus them refer units hold more in the fridge and freezer since there is no plumbing, filters, ice bucket, door dispenser, ect....

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
What are you, my wife? She wants a built in ice-maker and wine fridge put into the little bar area we have. They will have to redo the granite and do some cabinet work so I am thinking it will be 3k before the purchase of the appliances. I am out dude, if you two want all this...send her a check....:eek:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Probably most expensive item we got this xmax is 2nd Dyson vac. Too lazy to haul one between floors plus new one - DC65 Multifloor is more POWAH
Me toys include new Logitech G502 rodent which I adore.
I think I mentioned already my itch for new knife needed to scratched - this is how It ended up:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ83CBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and new tools for daddy's collection:
http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/BDCDMT120.aspx
with bunch of attachments like router, jig saw,sander, impact driver and bag.

Why B&D ? Well it's certainly not Makita, but it's good enough for me and actually a big step up compared to tools i had before. Plus access to some of power tools which I didn't have at all.
These attachments are obviously not nearly as good as dedicated tools, but to own a somewhat functional tool for only about $20 extra - I think it's worth it.
Did I mentioned that my old Skill Ni-Cad cordless drill's charger died recently?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis