What Can I Use to "De-Kink" an Area Rug...Which Sits Atop Carpet?

HorizonRidge

HorizonRidge

Audioholic Intern
In my living/family/HT room, we have a stylish area rug in the center of the floor which sits atop our wall-to-wall carpeting (which was just replaced from a fish tank flood -- totally different topic) and for the life of me, I just can't get this thing to stay put or get straight without any kinks in it. We bought the carpet at Lowe's, and it was a replacement for the same rug we had in this room before the flood that came from the loft upstairs right down to the living room below; even then, I could NEVER get a nasty kink right in the center of the rug out even with a big adhesive-like pad that was supposed to "straighten" a rug...

Now, with the new area rug (an exact replacement of the one before we had the flood), I can't get several kinks out which are causing fold-like ripples in it which are tripping me, my wife and our seizure-prone dog when we walk on it...this is even AFTER I left several heavy Spanish roof tiles on the carpet to try and smooth the kinks. We also have some kind of "tape" we bought from Lowe's that is supposed to hold the carpet down -- but it's not working, still moving in place when you walk all over it and simply contributes to the kinked areas...

I realize rugs aren't ideally supposed to sit on top of carpet, but is there ANYTHING I can use to straighten the area rug so it's flat and smooth, plus keep it in place atop the carpeting?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help...:eek:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In my living/family/HT room, we have a stylish area rug in the center of the floor which sits atop our wall-to-wall carpeting (which was just replaced from a fish tank flood -- totally different topic) and for the life of me, I just can't get this thing to stay put or get straight without any kinks in it. We bought the carpet at Lowe's, and it was a replacement for the same rug we had in this room before the flood that came from the loft upstairs right down to the living room below; even then, I could NEVER get a nasty kink right in the center of the rug out even with a big adhesive-like pad that was supposed to "straighten" a rug...

Now, with the new area rug (an exact replacement of the one before we had the flood), I can't get several kinks out which are causing fold-like ripples in it which are tripping me, my wife and our seizure-prone dog when we walk on it...this is even AFTER I left several heavy Spanish roof tiles on the carpet to try and smooth the kinks. We also have some kind of "tape" we bought from Lowe's that is supposed to hold the carpet down -- but it's not working, still moving in place when you walk all over it and simply contributes to the kinked areas...

I realize rugs aren't ideally supposed to sit on top of carpet, but is there ANYTHING I can use to straighten the area rug so it's flat and smooth, plus keep it in place atop the carpeting?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help...:eek:
I got that plastic pad for office chairs with the spikes on the carpet side, and cut and gorilla-glued it to the back of my rug. My rug is a cheapy though, not a "fashion" rug but more of a utility rug I guess. Not really, but think "walmart special". But it worked pretty good.

HorizonRidge

HorizonRidge

Audioholic Intern
I got that plastic pad for office chairs with the spikes on the carpet side, and cut and gorilla-glued it to the back of my rug. My rug is a cheapy though, not a "fashion" rug but more of a utility rug I guess. Not really, but think "walmart special". But it worked pretty good.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, slippery...

I know exactly what you're talking about with regard to the office chair pad -- I'm sitting on one right now under my office chair! -- but I don't know if that would actually work to keep the area rug FLAT on the carpet...

Further, this is a pretty big area rug, so I would need to buy like maybe a dozen of those pad things and glue them to the back of the rug...not really practical or "cheap"...:eek:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, slippery...

I know exactly what you're talking about with regard to the office chair pad -- I'm sitting on one right now under my office chair! -- but I don't know if that would actually work to keep the area rug FLAT on the carpet...

Further, this is a pretty big area rug, so I would need to buy like maybe a dozen of those pad things and glue them to the back of the rug...not really practical or "cheap"...:eek:
Yeah, I figured as much. It worked pretty good for me, the rug does slide eventually, I have to move it back in place a few inches every couple of weeks, but it doesn't kink anymore. I didnt cover the entire surface, maybe 40%, the edges in particular. And I wouldn't do it to a large or expensive rug either, but figured I would throw that out there.

HorizonRidge

HorizonRidge

Audioholic Intern
Appreciate it much...:)

I did a Google search for something that can help me with this, but it keeps coming up with products that really JUST hold the rug down in place, while I'm looking for something that does that PLUS straightens it on the carpet without kinks...

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
How about some self adhesive Velcro - just use the half that will stick to the carpet

HorizonRidge

HorizonRidge

Audioholic Intern
How about some self adhesive Velcro - just use the half that will stick to the carpet
Hey mac,

Thanks for the suggestion; I suppose I can try that -- but how much would I need to cover the back of an area rug? :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi - not a suggestion for keeping the rug straight, but a question. Have you considered not using the rug, since you just got new carpeting?

EDIT: Just did a quick search on "keep area rug flat," and this site was at the top - looks like it might work well for you.

HorizonRidge

HorizonRidge

Audioholic Intern
Hi - not a suggestion for keeping the rug straight, but a question. Have you considered not using the rug, since you just got new carpeting?

EDIT: Just did a quick search on "keep area rug flat," and this site was at the top - looks like it might work well for you.
Hello Adam (my middle name, as well!),

Thank you for the input; indeed, I came up with the exact same search result when I attempted to look this solution up online (the "ehow" link you provided) -- the problem is they give an explanation of what to do and how to do it...but don't provide any product names for the carpet padding they suggest!

As for not using the rug, I considered it, and my wife even feels it would be alright without it -- but I really do like the look of our room with it; it really just pulls all our colors in perfectly. I'd like to find a way to make it work...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps check this stuff out. The third review specifically mentions that it fixed the problem that you're having. 5' x 8' for $31. That might get you pointed in the right direction. Home stores or flooring stores around you might have it for cheaper.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
To remove the kink in the rug use a steam machine.
You can rent one, they're made to steam drapes and clothes.
Looks like you're got the recommendations to hold the rug down already.

HorizonRidge

HorizonRidge

Audioholic Intern
Perhaps check this stuff out. The third review specifically mentions that it fixed the problem that you're having. 5' x 8' for $31. That might get you pointed in the right direction. Home stores or flooring stores around you might have it for cheaper.
Thanks Adam...

I appreciate your continued assistance; indeed, I looked at that Amazon link and the third review does specify a remedy to this particular issue. The thing is, I'm skeptical about buying any kind of "pad" -- especially at this price they're asking -- that doesn't have some kind of adhesive to it that will make the rug stick to the actual wall-to-wall carpeting. I think without some kind of adhesive to it, this rug is going to continue to buckle and kink...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Adam...

I appreciate your continued assistance; indeed, I looked at that Amazon link and the third review does specify a remedy to this particular issue. The thing is, I'm skeptical about buying any kind of "pad" -- especially at this price they're asking -- that doesn't have some kind of adhesive to it that will make the rug stick to the actual wall-to-wall carpeting. I think without some kind of adhesive to it, this rug is going to continue to buckle and kink...
Amazon does usually have a pretty generous return policy. I think you would be out the return shipping though.

HorizonRidge

HorizonRidge

Audioholic Intern
To remove the kink in the rug use a steam machine.
You can rent one, they're made to steam drapes and clothes.
Looks like you're got the recommendations to hold the rug down already.
Thanks Rick; we considered, actually, using an iron to straighten this thing, but we were afraid of actually burning the fibers. I will consider a steam machine...:)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah...it's just such a pain in the ***, ya know? :( :rolleyes:
Yup. Seems like nothing is ever easy. HT (and life in general) is always a series of compromises. You just have to minimize those compromises as much as possible.

HorizonRidge

HorizonRidge

Audioholic Intern
Yup. Seems like nothing is ever easy. HT (and life in general) is always a series of compromises. You just have to minimize those compromises as much as possible.
Jesus H. Christ on a saltine cracker...

I don't know if I could have said it any better. :) ;)

informbd

Audiophyte
wool area rug

I have new oak floors. We want to get some wool area rug. But we were wondering whether the rugs will protect or damage the floors. Also, those of you who have area rugs over your hardwood floors, do you pick them up to clean under them? How often?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
You could just screw the bastard down through the carpet into the luan with some 2 inch drywall screws. Or is this carpet over concrete?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis