What are the "rules" regarding making a 1:1 backup of my DVDs?

• Thread starter FirstReflection
  • Start date
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Hey all. Before I get started, I just want to make it clear that I'm not trying to do or talk about anything illegal here.

Recently, I lent some of my Pixar and Disney DVDs to my sister for her nephew to watch. I'm strongly into Blu-ray now - a HD snob really - so I'm lending out my DVDs without much concern these days.

Sadly though, when I went to pick up a couple of my DVDs that I wanted to watch, they were scratched beyond repair! My sister offered to replace them, of course, but it basically just got me thinking...

I'd read about Real's efforts to sell software that made a perfect 1:1 copy of any DVD movie - copy protection, menus, FBI warnings that you cannot skip - all of it, the whole shebang! Honestly, that's all I'm after. I don't care about trying to "hack" anything. I don't care about trying to "shrink" the DVD onto a single-layer disc (I'm fine with using DVD-9 discs) and I'm not trying to copy anything that I don't already own. I just want to be able to make a completely 1:1 disc that will work and that I can lend to my nephew without any worry about the disc since I'll have the original safely at home with me

I have thought about maybe setting up some sort of home server system as well, but honestly, I'm pretty much all about HD at this point, so that's much less of a concern.

So...I'm just wondering - are we allowed to talk about this specific type of copying here. And if so, is there a way to do it? I know that Real has been sued by the Hollywood studios, so I don't know all the legal ins and outs. But I'd like to know if there's a way to do what I've described.

thanks!

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think the best rule is do whatever you want and just keep it to yourself. If your not making copies and sitting in a booth on the side of the road selling them for 2 bucks a peice, Its nobody else's business what you do with them. ;)

There are products on the market that do what you want, although they are a few hundred bucks. Of course, You could also do this yourself with computer software.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Some laws are meant to be broken because they are bullshit. Copy away. You know when to draw the line instinctively.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
There are products on the market that do what you want, although they are a few hundred bucks. Of course, You could also do this yourself with computer software.
It can be done with freeware and a $20 burner.

Yes, it is illegal in the US to break the encryption on a DVD via software. If you make a bit-for-bit copy with hardware, you are supposed to do that for backup purposes only. You are not supposed to distribute or loan the backup copies out unless you have a license from the copyright owner to do so.

That said--what "the man" knows won't hurt him. ;)

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
OK...well thank you for the replies so far :)

Basically, I just don't want to break any forum rules and I don't want Audioholics to get into any kind of trouble.

On a philosophical note, I can see both sides of the "piracy" debate. I believe that the studios and everyone involved in making the movies ought to be paid. It makes zero sense to expect movies to be completely free. But on the other end, it's also completely stupid to literally expect that we should pay $5 each and every time we watch a movie and that every other person who walks through the room ought to pay $5 as well. There needs to be a reasonable middle ground...but that's a whole can of worms for another time :p

So anyways, I'll ask my question. If it breaks any forum rules, please take down my post and shoot me a PM so that I'll know for the future :)

I do have a computer with a good DVD-burner. I would like to make my backup copies using my computer as this seems to be the most cost-effective method. I just don't know what is the best software to use.

Again, I basically just want to make a straight 1:1 duplicate. I've no need for "shrinking" or changing the file type or removing any part of the original disc's files. I just want to be able to keep my original that I paid for intact and not have to worry about it getting scratched or otherwise damaged.

I've googled a bit and come across programs like "ripit4me" "DVDShrink" "DVD Decrypter" "DVDFab HD Decrypter" and so on, but as I read through some of the info, it seems as though many of these programs do not work reliably, or they work with some discs, but not others, or they have "hidden" fees or scams or all sorts of red flags!

I don't need it to be free. I just need it to work! So if anyone could name a good, reliable program that does what I'm asking, I'd certainly appreciate the help.

Thanks again!

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've ripped a few dvd's to my hdd with dvd decrypter and it works fine although i have never tried burning them back to disc because I dont have a dual layer dvdrw so I couldnt tell you how well it works in that regard.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
It should be worth saying, don't get caught :D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Some laws are meant to be broken because they are bullshit. Copy away. You know when to draw the line instinctively.
while copywrite protection is way out of hand, the copywrite laws that are setup to protect intellectual property are not. As for laws that are meant to be broken:confused: I try to avoid breaking laws simply for the sake of I dont believe they are right. Thats like a stoner advertising he likes to smoke pot on an internet forum;) Not that ive got issues with the pot laws in this country.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I try to avoid breaking laws simply for the sake of I dont believe they are right. Thats like a stoner advertising he likes to smoke pot on an internet forum;) Not that ive got issues with the pot laws in this country.
I have an issue with them, and I don't abuse any legal drugs or use any illegal ones.

Several of the programs mentioned--one in particular will do the job just fine.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I have an issue with them, and I don't abuse any legal drugs or use any illegal ones.

Several of the programs mentioned--one in particular will do the job just fine.
That was kinda the point I was making, sarcasticly speaken. I have issue with any law that imprisons indviduals, for what is deemed by most in the world as inconsequential.

jinjuku

jinjuku

As long as you are above the boards ripping DVD's that you own for something like a media server I wouldn't worry about it too much. I doubt the FBI is going to be kicking down your door.

On the technical legalese side of it: Any ripping of a DVD is illegal that has CSS protecting the content since you obviously had to break a protection scheme to exercise your fair use and doctrine of first sale.

This is why I only purchase DVD's used or simply reserve them from the library. I don't give my $$ out to studios that liken me to a thief.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
There was a court case on this a couple of years ago about this Norwegian teenager (DVD Jon) that broke the CSS encryption scheme used in DVD's. This teenager doing all of this in his kid's room was brought to court where the movie companies brought in all their high profile sharks wearing black suits and sunglasses ..... and this went on for many years these guys were trying to break this kid's life because he just wanted to watch movies that he bought himself..... on his Linux computer.....

I think it all ended up in being nothing, because this encryption scheme is so easy to break, so I think it's probably fair to say that this is safe.

On a linux based system you can install libdvdread and libdvdcss and acirdrip to do this, probably possible in Windows too.

itschris

itschris

I want to make sure I understand this... ripping a copy to another DVD disc in a bit perfrect way is essentially illegal... I get that and I understand that. How about when I copy it to a media server? 1) Can I copy it in full resolution - i.e., an exact copy? 2) What's the best way?

I'm getting ready to build an HTPC/media server and I want to copy my DVD's over to it, but only if I can have exact quality playback.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
It is illegal to break CSS encryption on any disc for any reason.
This is off the Wiki page. That doesn't mean it's entirely accurate. But, it sums up what has been said before by me and others:

The DMCA "criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as Digital Rights Management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works and it also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself."

If you wish to backup a dual layer DVD to DVD you need to have a DVD burner capable of creating a dual layer disc, blank dual layer media, and even then, it may not work properly in your player.

-pat

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis